Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]
apache
[Linked Image]
Mohawk

[Linked Image]
Nylon 66
I have 3 different kinds of Nylon 66 rifles, but cannot remember ever shooting one.

Those are 77's.

They are indeed, I bought a Mohawk Brown 77 in '71 or '72, tried hard to wear it out for several years, then traded it to a friend, it has taught a bunch of kids to shoot in the last 50 years. It was a bit finicky about ammunition, but if you stayed with CCI's it ran like a top.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The trick to keeping them reliable is to never use oil on the metal/nylon gliding surfaces. Lubricate with graphite.
You do have to clean out the carbon after a couple thousand rounds.
Put some electrical tape where the stock and barrel contact so the barrel doesn't rattle around.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My brother bought one in 1964 and used it the rest of his life. I take it out once in a while for old time's sake, still chases squirrels around.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]
apache
[Linked Image]
Mohawk

[Linked Image]
Nylon 66
I have 3 different kinds of Nylon 66 rifles, but cannot remember ever shooting one.

Those are 77's.

Thank you...

Ive got a 66 in great condition, and as others have said, if you feed it CCI it runs like a clock...

Had a pristine Model 76 but they brought stupid insane prices, so mine went to someone who wanted it more.

Last edited by ingwe; 11/04/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My brother and I got one when Remington discontinued them and Kmart dumped them for $50 each.. about 1984.
Sold mine because it was defective and didn't know to do warranty repair. Stupid.

Years later.. found the chrome white diamond black one used that had an extra rattle for $150. No cost fix and it was good.

The prces got so hi and I wondered if the plastic would decay so I sold it. I didn't get much response on armslist and sold it for $350.

I kick myself.
Only a little.
There are better guns out there, but they were a pioneering gun.

Wouldn't glock be so accepted if the nylon 66 wasn't out there first?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The gun shop downtown has one for $500. It’s in really good condition, clip feed but $500.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The one I had was a total POS. The barrel isn't screwed into the receiver. It just slides in and is held in place by a shim. The problem is that the shim is held in place by the nylon stock. Mine was slightly worn and allowed the shim to move which in turn allowed the barrel to move. Every 8 or 10 shots the barrel would move and throw it off at least 10 MOA...and that's not an exaggeration. The only fix was a new stock and the gun wasn't worth it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was told by a Remington factory rep, every nylon 66 was assembled by the same guy. His average time was somewhere around two minutes. I must have had a dozen come in to the shop with a coffee can full of parts. It took me a lot longer than two minutes to put them back together! GD

U
U
I bought a used Nylon 66 at a pawn shop several years ago. When I took it to the range it jammed like mad, and I was left quite disappointed. Then I took it apart to see what was wrong, and I found numerous internal parts were being held in place with masking tape. The previous owner had taken it completely apart and couldn't figure out how to get it back together again. I managed to properly reassemble it, and it's been fine ever since. I'm just lucky he didn't lose any parts in the process.

Unfortunately I don't think Remington (or anyone else) will ever bring this rifle back. It was a neat little gun for its time, but the market has since moved on. Remington discontinued them because sales had been declining by the 1980s and the molds were wearing out, and future sales forecasts didn't justify the investment in new molds. The molds for the detachable-mag Nylon 77 were younger and in better condition, so that model remained in production for a few more years after the Nylon 66 had been dropped.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.