Print Thread
Hop To
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Red Label that I have not used much over the past several years. First the ejector on one side, and more recently the other, have begun to act up, sticking and not ejecting shells. Is it likely the springs simply need replacement, due to the lack of use, and being stored in a compressed state? If they do need replaced, is that a difficult job?

One guy told me that spraying them liberally with bore cleaner is very likely to fix the problem. I'll try it, but am skeptical. Ideas on the problem, and the potential solution?

Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would try the spray first.

It's cheaper but make sure to take the stock off first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It should not be difficult to remove the ejectors and springs without tools for cleaning. Check your owners manual, or download one from the Ruger webpage.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Be aware that Ruger no longer supports the Red Label shotguns. No parts, no repair shop help.

D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That's not good! Why did they abandon the Red Label support?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because they stopped making Red Labels in 2015.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ironic considering the slobbering I hear about their customer support
And they gave treated me decent.

But to stop supporting their high dollar baby so soon after ceasing production?

To the smartass who wants to fight,
Yes, in the Ruger world the Red Label was at the top of their pricing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Be thankful You don't have a gold label

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Be thankful You don't have a gold label

Mine have appreciated nicely and I’m quite thankful for that.
I know some have had issues, but I have not.
What issues have you had?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ruger still supports the Red Labels, except per their web site: "Shotguns (20 ga. Prefix "400-" or "410-" not available)"

I have a 411 prefix that Ruger did work on this year (2020) for free, including shipping both ways.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
Fore end split on mine

Hey, Daveman ~

I have a Red Label 28 gauge from 2000. It has been an outstanding shotgun and I've never had a problem with it. Got lucky in that it fits me perfectly. Purchased it used at a gun show many a moon ago for just over $1K. I have kept up on prices of the 28 with the English stock in recent years and am amazed at the prices people are asking for them.

ANYWAY... Removal of the ejectors is fairly easy, although requires some "elbow grease," so-to-speak. Just push the shell end of the ejector all the way in, as if the breech were closed (barrel, of course, is not connected to the gun when doing this). Once it is flush with the chamber, the front, sharp end will come turn out and the ejector comes free. Be mindful of hidden springs, however, as they'll shoot out into your neighboring zip code if you fail to catch them.

I would imagine they just need cleaning, so a good spray will likely do it for you, but for future reference...

Just a little side story on my Red...

So, I was working on a buddy's Benelli SBE (fixing a bent vent rib at toward the end of the barrel). He was going Sporting Clay shoting the next day, so I offered him use of my RL (he also is a 28 gauge fan). BIG MISTAKE...

Well, his grandfather and good friend of mine, was a Texas Ranger (who we unfortunately lost a couple months ago - he was 93). He had given his grandson a Colt Python in Nickel finish with 4" barrel, along with a beautifully made custom leather, fully tooled holster. An absolutely beautiful piece of business, and with the added provenance that it was owned by a Texas Ranger.

When he returned the shotgun to me, he went on and on about the fact that he had never found a shotgun with which he didn't miss one clay in an outing. And then, to my utter shock and amazement, he offered to trade the Python for the Red. We still talk about it to this day and I just may change my mind, but I turned him down. Probably not the wisest move on my part, but I already have a Bright Nickel finished 6" Python (1974) and a 1970 Blued version with a 4" barrel, tons of custom engraving and inlay, along with some beautiful Sanbar Stag grips. Do I need another Python? Probably not. But dang... It's a "good" dilemma to be facing, I suppose...

Good luck with the fix, amigo!

JD

D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Mongo,

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try in the next few days to see if I can fix these ejectors. Let's hope a good cleaning is all that we need to fix the problem. I'll try your method for removing them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an early 80's vintage Red Label 20 ga that I bought new and have had no issues with it. I know mine was cleaned every time I went out with it. I say all that to say I am betting that yours is just dirty. Mongo44 told you correctly on how to remove the ejectors. Might try spraying some carb cleaner on them before removing them just to see if that helps remove some of the gunk that has them sticking. Be sure and keep the barrels away from the wood if you do try the carb cleaner as it might mess up the finish.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.