Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Been looking at an elk-capable gun. I have pretty much decided that a 280 AI will fit the bill for what I need. I don't have an unlimited budget to work with. I was looking at options, and for 400 bucks I can Buy an Axis II. For 450 I can get one with a stainless barrel. I could probably swing a Kimber hunter for 750. But got to thinking, what does that extra 300-350 get me? 2 inches longer barrel would be nice, but is it worth that? I know many on here knock the Axis, but fact of the matter is most of those shoot pretty well for being a budget gun. Plus the Savage comes with bases and the Kimber does not. So in my mind I am trying to see if I am justified in spending that extra money for the Kimber. So again, what actually does the extra money get me? How would I be happier with a Kimber?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You get to play the Kimber accuracy roulette!

No thank you.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Panache ain't cheap!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Invest the extra $350 in better glass for the rifle. You cannot hit what you cannot see...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What does the extra $350 get you? It gets you a nicer, easier to carry, better designed, better built rifle. No doubt the Axis II will get the job done, so if that is all you care about, then the extra $350 for the Kimber won't be worth it. But, there is no doubt the Kimber is the nicer rifle.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sort of like the fat ugly girl or the trim good-looking one - either will get the job done but which would you rather have be seen with?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by shinbone
What does the extra $350 get you? It gets you a nicer, easier to carry, better designed, better built rifle. No doubt the Axis II will get the job done, so if that is all you care about, then the extra $350 for the Kimber won't be worth it. But, there is no doubt the Kimber is the nicer rifle.

Yep that’s what I’d say as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't handload, over time the savings may be realized on a different chambering. With the Savage, you are more likely to get a shooter out of the box. If you got a shooter in the Kimber, I'd say it's worth the extra coin. As much as I am not a fan of any of the bottom rung Winchester, Savage, Ruger and Reemington rifles, accuracy generally isn't an issue.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I do handload so not an issue there. So forgive me, I have not kept up on a lot on Kimber, but am I understanding that getting an accurate one may be hit or miss? There really are not many options under 900...maybe a savage 110 may be better than the axis?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider buying a used rifle. Most hunting rifles never see enough rounds to worry about the barrel being shot out, but you do need to inspect for rust, etc. You can often get a better quality rifle for the cost of the "value" rifle offerings with flimsy synthetic stocks and general lack of refinement.

Half my rifles were pre-owned, gently used and all shoot great. I pop clay pigeons on the berm at 600 yards using a Savage 11 FXP3 in .243 I paid $295 for. Also a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts I bought used 16 years ago. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned was a 1975 Remington M700 in .308 Win. Have not shot it at 600 but a stainless Ruger MKII .223 Rem I bought used shoots clovers at 100.

Or you can shop the sales. cdnnsports.com has Ruger Hawkeye rifles on sale for $499 in .30-06 (20" bbl) and .308 Win (22" bbl). I bought one of the .30-06 rifles for a son-in-law as a wedding present 3-4 years ago and still wish I had one myself. Either will do fine for an elk hunt. The Ruger synthetic stocks are among the better factory synthetics. I will most likely be carrying my Ruger Hawkeye stainless/synthetic .280 Rem elk hunting this year - with a handloaded 150g ABLR at 2899fps and 7000 feet altitude, it delivers 2100fps and 1500fps past 640 yards. If you don't handload, Federals .280 140g Trophy Copper delivers 2200fps and 1500fpe to 550 yards. Federal's 175g .30-06 Terminal Ascent load delivers 2100fps and 1500fpe past 650 yards.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If you don't handload, over time the savings may be realized on a different chambering. With the Savage, you are more likely to get a shooter out of the box. If you got a shooter in the Kimber, I'd say it's worth the extra coin. As much as I am not a fan of any of the bottom rung Winchester, Savage, Ruger and Reemington rifles, accuracy generally isn't an issue.

This seems correct, re: loading. That said, I was at BPS and GreenTop today. Both had tons of 280AI sitting around on sale. Regular 280 was nearly sold out (I grabbed some 165 CL just to fool with) but apparently AI is just a step too far even for panic buyers. So you could always just buy a ton of ammo now and have it last for a decade.

It's a moot point because it isn't chambered in 280AI, but in terms of overall build and component quality, I don't think any of the other entry level guns are on the same level as Winchester's XPR. (I'm not trying to hijack, I swear!)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Consider buying a used rifle. Most hunting rifles never see enough rounds to worry about the barrel being shot out, but you do need to inspect for rust, etc. You can often get a better quality rifle for the cost of the "value" rifle offerings with flimsy synthetic stocks and general lack of refinement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I'm not a fan of the "BIC" rifles but would buy and tote any one of them before I spent money on a Kimber.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/21/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I do handload so not an issue there. So forgive me, I have not kept up on a lot on Kimber, but am I understanding that getting an accurate one may be hit or miss? There really are not many options under 900...maybe a savage 110 may be better than the axis?

The Savage Lightweight Storm falls in between the Axis and the Kimber Hunter in price and weight. It is not available in 280AI. It is in 6.5 Creed, 270 and and 7-08. I have had two and still have one. Both were sub MOA. The Savage 110 Storm comes in 280AI as well. It will likely be very accurate. It's weight is near the Axis and price will fall between the Hunter and and the Axis. It has better stock construction than the Hunter, Axis and lightweight Storm.

Kimber has a reputation for being finicky in terms of accuracy. They seem to have issues more often than average based on my readings across many forums. That's why they earned the nickname Kimber Roulette. Customers on average don't report positive customer service experiences.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider buying a used rifle.

On an almost daily basis I see members here mention rifles they couldn't get to shoot so they "sent them down the road"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Consider buying a used rifle.

On an almost daily basis I see members here mention rifles they couldn't get to shoot so they "sent them down the road"

I saw WAY more used rifles on shelves today than I expected. I guess it's the big inventory right before hunting season... but most of them either looked essentially new (and were priced at close to original retail) or, to Paul's point, looked like someone dumped them for a reason. Unless you really know what you're looking for/at or you're specifically interested in a "project," I'd be leery of buying a used rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you considered a used CLR in 270, 7mm RM, 30-06, or 300 WM?

Less expensive than the Kimber, lighter than the AXIS, a short lived, under appreciated, better than average value IMO.

My primary overwatch elk hunting rifle is a CLR in 270 so I may have a little bias.

FWIW, I noticed that the local WM is selling stainless AXIS rifles for $255 plus tax in 6.5 CM. I like the 6.5 CM, but don't care for the ergs of the AXIS, so the low price isn't enough to motivate me to be a buyer.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Kimber has a reputation for being finicky in terms of accuracy. They seem to have issues more often than average based on my readings across many forums. That's why they earned the nickname Kimber Roulette. Customers on average don't report positive customer service experiences.

Light rifles are tough to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out the Mauser M12, pretty cheap from EuroOptic, but with a an outstanding trigger and excellent accuracy from all reports. Likely not available in .280, but plenty of others. Mule Deer has a 7 RM, or did (he has a high turnover rate!) Metal is nitrided, a big plus to me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/21/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I suggest changing the cartridge choice to 30-06. That will broaden the choice of rifles, new or used.

Last edited by mathman; 09/21/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I suggest changing the cartridge choice to 30-06. That will broaden the choice of rifles to choose from, new or used.

Bingo!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.