Print Thread
Hop To
#15210618 09/10/20
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For those that do not like the taste of boiled okra here is a new way to try it. This gets rid of the slimy texture of okra cooked in a liquid.

Preheat a greased cast iron skillet to 350 degrees

Wash 1 pound of okra thoroughly

Cut off the tops

Slice thinly - the thinner the better - and put in a large mixing bowl

Season the okra - your tastes dictate here what you use but I add a pinch of red pepper flakes, a few dashes each of Maggi seasoning and soy sauce and a little black pepper. Add just enough cooking oil to lightly coat the okra - about 2 tablespoons should do it. Stir several times and let it rest.

Go light on any seasoning that is salty as this cooking method tends to concentrate flavors.

Finely chop half an onion and put in preheated skillet with a little bit of cooking oil about 5 minutes before you put the okra in the skillet.

If you want to add a little bit more flavor you can finely chop bacon or ham and add at the same time as the onion.

At about 5 minutes in the oven the onion will have softened.

Remove skillet from oven.

Pour onion in the mixing bowl with the okra and stir.

Put mixture in the skillet and return to oven.

Stir occasionally.

Okra will be ready in 25-30 minutes.

This can be served as a stand alone vegtable or served with rice.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 09/10/20.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sound good I need to try it.My okra is producing faster than I can eat it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like fried,try this one.
Fried okra,potatoes and onions. Let me tell you how I do it.Wash okra and slice.Put them in a bowl with some salt,then add water until covered.How much salt?Probably a couple of tablespoons or more,your going to drain the salt,slime water off later anyway.You can add ice or just stick the bowl with the okra in the refrigerator for a couple hours.The salt water will draw the okra slime out.When you get ready to cook them,drain the water off but don't rinse.Cut up onion into small chunks,add to the bowl with okra,then peel your potato and cut it into small chunks.Add a little seasoning and mix up the okra,onions and potato.the okra slime is going to help hold the cornmeal coating on.I use cornmeal with just a small amount of flour.Put a 1\4 inch or so of oil in your skillet with about med heat.Bread the three in the cornmeal and add to the hot oil.Let them cook a bit until the start to brown before you try to turn them.Cook until desired doness and remove to a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.I find not only is this About the easiest way to make fried okra,but the onions and potatoes added to it makes a complete side.I had a piece of fish to go with it and it was great.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter

We cut it, slice it, and then coat it like we were going to cook it. Then we put it in a sheet pan and freeze it. When it’s frozen we just bag it or vacuum pack it and have it all year. It works really well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by baldhunter

We cut it, slice it, and then coat it like we were going to cook it. Then we put it in a sheet pan and freeze it. When it’s frozen we just bag it or vacuum pack it and have it all year. It works really well.

We do that too. Although I like it boiled, such as in okra and tomatoes, okra is meant to be battered and fried.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started making a dish that has been really good.I saute onion,garlic and celery,then add the sliced okra and diced tomatoes,then I microwave an ear of corn with the shuck on wrapped in plastic wrap for about 4-5min,then cut the corn off the cob and add that to the mix,then add some chicken bone broth and put the lid on and let it simmer.Then in a separate skillet,I dice up a link of my smoked pork and deer sausage and let it brown on a low heat.Once all the sausage is browned,I add that to the okra mix.It really makes a good meal.I had some left over and added some cooked rice and that was good too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried the oven recipe.It was very easy and good too.Thank You!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That looks plenty good.

Unfortunately, we don't get fresh okra around here that I have ever seen.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always makes me think of Jerry Clower.

Put up a big batch corn meal/floured, seasoned, froze on cookie sheets and vacuum packed this afternoon. Okras about the only thing left going in my garden right now. Later this week will have to do some if the methods mentioned above.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We just put it in a grill basket with some olive oil and salt and pepper. It gets a nice char and has great texture.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Aforementioned grilled technique

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those okra dishes all look and sound great to me. Been meaning to ask about okra here, so thanks for the posts.

Can I use frozen?

Until the past six months or so, I couldn't eat the stuff. The slime, seeds, flavor, and what not, were just not palatable. However, I've really come to love the stuff. I eat it more often than corn or peas, and probably go through a pound per week on my own. My wife uses it in a breakfast scramble that is pretty dang good too.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes. You can use frozen. I use it when fresh is not available.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll have to try those recipes once I get functional again. They surely do look good.

Retired cat herder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 257 roberts, 72 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.