Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Although 2 of my saws came with molded
plastic cases, whenever I get through with
one I pour the unused gas and bar oil back
into their respective containers.
I didn't think I was the only one that did that,
but I guess I am

I haven't owned a chainsaw for over 30 years. Now I live in a hilly mountain property with dense forest, and a log cabin with 4-foot+ old stone fireplace and several other wood stoves to boot, so I'm about to get one. We had to widen the 300 foot+ driveway to satisfy fire regs, so the worker had to cur a few trees down and left all the wood in four foot lengths alongside the gravel drive. I do have a truck, wheelbarrow and light four wheel cart to move it around.

Stihl products are all now made in the USA, which is appealing to me, and the very close local hardware store is a Stihl dealer–and stock parts. I'm thinking that that's the way to go, right?

Tractor Supply, ten miles away, has Husqvarna products. Walmart near it, has some cheaper brand likely made in China. Not being as active as I used to be, to put to mildly, I figure maybe a 170 or so would work (?) Most of the loose wood is 4-6 inches diameter or less but up the hill by the spring and rock pond are stacked logs up tp 20 inches dia. that I'd likely hire sometime with a gas engine splitter to handle.

Norm
Either brand will work. I've owned both. There is little difference. Right now I've got three saws, a Stihl, a Dolmar and a Homelite.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Stihl 029 is the first saw I purchased 25 years ago. It will also be the last. Get a Stihl, some good safety protection and make some wood chips.

And, don't worry about the chain lube oil leaking out. It eventually runs out.

Last edited by UncleAlps; 09/21/20.

God Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stihl had a square black case and quit making it. Sides opens and place for everything.

I took an old cooler(always one around) and just plunge fit a slot maybe 2” above the bottom. Lots of room

TSC ALERT!!!!! Their winter blend bar oil, real clear........will clog things up quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
Ok I save Stihl saws, that's not the point how do you guys keep the bar oil from leaking out when you are not using the saws, the back of my Suburban is a mess I keep at least one saw in the truck for emergencies there has to be a way to stop them from leaking bar oil!
I'm going to try laying them on their side to see if that helps.

Anyone got ideas ?

That's how I store them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just bought a stihl 261. They gave me a case for free, and when the guy went to put everything in the case he put a shop rag in the bottom. Having read this thread I about died laughing. I knew exactly why.

Always ran husqvarna saws. Was looking at them but spoke to 4 people who run saws for a living, and all have had major issues with blown top ends out of the 2018 and newer 555 and 562( I believe that the Right model number) They recommended the 261 As bullet proof.

Last edited by kevinJ; 09/22/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That 261 is a beautiful saw. I was looking and looking at one at the dealer last spring, I really wanted to buy it. I have the money.
But, dammit, I have a Stihl 039 that I bought 33 years ago and it just won't die! I have many hours on that saw, cutting firewood and building log cabins and it still runs like a top.

Anjin: Are you a pilot? Have you ever gotten into a fight with a Samurai?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm the same with my 30 something YO 028.
Bit the bullet 3-4 years ago and bought a Echo 590 but still seem to reach for the slightly lighter 028 most days.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My first Stihl was an 029 Farm Boss. That was a great saw. I built two log cabins with it, and cut lots of firewood.
I lent it to my best friend, Bud, for a week. He returned it and it was full of gas and oil. What a nice guy.
And two days later, I cranked it up, it ran real strong for 30 seconds, and then died.
Took it to the shop. Dead. Bud had filled it up with straight gas with no oil. Saw was ruined.

I am not sure how you could do that by accident, some kind of nutso passive aggressive crap, I guess. Thanks, Bud.
I am no longer friends with Bud.

The moral of the story: DO NOT lend out tools. Especially chains saws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That 261 is a beautiful saw. I was looking and looking at one at the dealer last spring, I really wanted to buy it. I have the money.
But, dammit, I have a Stihl 039 that I bought 33 years ago and it just won't die! I have many hours on that saw, cutting firewood and building log cabins and it still runs like a top.

Anjin: Are you a pilot? Have you ever gotten into a fight with a Samurai?

Not a pilot, more of an explorer as I've worked all over the world.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Just bought a stihl 261. They gave me a case for free, and when the guy went to put everything in the case he put a shop rag in the bottom. Having read this thread I about died laughing. I knew exactly why.

Always ran husqvarna saws. Was looking at them but spoke to 4 people who run saws for a living, and all have had major issues with blown top ends out of the 2018 and newer 555 and 562( I believe that the Right model number) They recommended the 261 As bullet proof.

I went with the Stihl MS 250 with 18" chain bar, for the reasons mentioned. It should handle any need I have here.

Nearby Ace Hardware is a dealer, and has all the extras. They include Stihl premixed fuel in convenient sizes, so no need to mix it myself or chase down a source for high test fuel lacking in ethanol. (I do recall some neighbors saying that there is one gas station in adjoining Tijeras, NM that stocks that, but I now don't need to find it.)

The clerk who set it up for me said the chain oil leak is a feature, NOT a flaw, to assure full lubrication, and everyone simply puts a shop cloth under them. Oh, well.

I do like the chain brake feature, which I never had before in the old days. You simply push it with the back of the hand holding the upper bar, keeping both hands on the saw at all times.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 24 year old 044. What a horse!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
List of gas stations in New Mexico that sell non alcohol gas.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NM

Good God if the chain brake is new to you you have been out of the loop for a long time. I bought my Stihl in 1988 and it has that feature.
In what year was your last chain saw made?
Did it look like this?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 77 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.