Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I am looking for some info on what is involved in converting a std (06 length) pre 64 action to take the H&H length cases. (7mm Mashburn or more likely 300 H&H) Also, some learned advice on the advisability of going that route could prove helpful.
I currently have a couple "extra" barrelled actions (both 270s) but with a very good 270 and 30-06 fwt already there is some redundancy so I am looking into my options!

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

There were pics and a discussion about such a gun on this forum several years back. Don’t remember specifics, but at the very least the bolt face was opened up. BSA will probably recall the gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why would anybody want to do that when there are plenty of mag actions available? curious minds want to know...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm with Hubert. Why?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Not many pre 64 H&H actions up here and they bring a real premium when you find one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Not many pre 64 H&H actions up here and they bring a real premium when you find one.

Might be easier to find a 300H&H that has had the Weatherby treatment done to it. They seem to be easier to find, but not a lot either way.

I have a "real nice" 700 here in Super 30 if that blows yur hair back. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I am looking for some info on what is involved in converting a std (06 length) pre 64 action to take the H&H length cases. (7mm Mashburn or more likely 300 H&H) Also, some learned advice on the advisability of going that route could prove helpful.
I currently have a couple "extra" barrelled actions (both 270s) but with a very good 270 and 30-06 fwt already there is some redundancy so I am looking into my options!

BobinNH used a 270 Classic action for his 7mm Mashburn Super. Simillion built his rifle and said by the time he works over an action the little extra to make it longer to accept a 3.6” cartridge isn’t too awfully much more. Kevin Weaver is another that’ll do the machine work to make everything work nicely.

Anyone that has a lead on where magnum P64’s are please post them up. I don’t see them regularly in my searches.

Last edited by beretzs; 09/22/20.

Semper Fi
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As you probably know, the actions themselves are the same length. Opening a standard cartridge action to H&H length cartridges involves “opening” the back of the action, bolt face and receiver rails, as well as the mag box itself. Al and Roger Biesen told me it was not a difficult task. At current shop rates, however, it will no doubt run into folding money.

Last edited by GF1; 09/22/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
GF1: I think the magazine follower and extractor (from a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 270 Winchester caliber) would also need to be "changed out" and those costs and the costs/parts you mention convinces me that in todays market of exorbitant riflesmithing costs the OP would be much better off finding the correct pre-64 Winchester Model 70 "action/Rifle" to begin with.
Best of luck to the original poster with his project.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
just within the past few weeks, Darcy Echols has put a "detailed and very long" post on his blog about doing just that. I agree with the others that it would be "far" less expensive to just buy a long magnum action to start with. If it were me, I'd buy the whole gun and sell the barrel and stock and go from there.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
just within the past few weeks, Darcy Echols has put a "detailed and very long" post on his blog about doing just that. I agree with the others that it would be "far" less expensive to just buy a long magnum action to start with. If it were me, I'd buy the whole gun and sell the barrel and stock and go from there.

Exactamundo..^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse

Exactamundo..^^^^

What they said...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There were pics and a discussion about such a gun on this forum several years back. Don’t remember specifics, but at the very least the bolt face was opened up. BSA will probably recall the gun.

Yeah, Ken (elkhunterNM) has one. Maybe he will chime in....There may have also been another one we saw that was converted. The sad thing about when someone does this conversion is sometimes the buyer may not be aware. It totally devalues the rifle. I'm with the guys that are saying just find an H&H receiver or complete rifle to build on. Sometimes its much easier to just find the complete rifle. If you have to, buy the complete rifle and part out what you don't use. I'd much rather see that happen, then seeing what used to be a standard action converted to an H&H cartridge. And yes, there are H&H rifles out there to be had at great deals. The last one I bought was $600.00....:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The one before that cost me $499.00, because it had been rechambered to 300WBY. I love the rifle though and plan on keeping it:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
All good info, thanks. Just checking to see if it was a viable option. The search continues!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you want something different, why dont you send your rifle to JES and let them turn it into a Whelen or 9.3x62?

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you want something different, why dont you send your rifle to JES and let them turn it into a Whelen or 9.3x62?

Not sure it’s as easy as that given his residence in Canada. Lots of paperwork I believe ...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Not sure it’s as easy as that given his residence in Canada. Lots of paperwork I believe ...

Oh, that sucks.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Most of the paperwork has to be completed on the States side of the border, bet JES is familiar with the deal.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nearly 35 yrs. ago I sent a tired .30-06 to Randall Redman who at the time was considered the Dean of the old time rebore men. I have shot all manner of handloads thru the rifle, it never disappoints accuracywise. It has been my go to whitetail rifle for many years. Interesting story about a .300 H & H, back in the late 70's I attended a gun show in Highland, IL there was a vendor there with several tables of handguns. I had seen him at several gun shows in the area over the years and he nearly always had strictly handguns. This particular time there on the end of his table sat a lone M/70, I inquired what caliber it was and he told me it was a .300 H & H and that if I were interested he'd make me a good deal as IL was not rifle country. To my surprise the price was $400.00 OTD which I gladly paid, it was the least I ever paid for a long magnum M/70.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
As an aside I've thought about a rebore. There is only one outfit this side of the border that does it and when all is said and done you would save a couple hundred over a decent new barrel installed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.