Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Surely this thread will get some discussion and likely some will be heated debate. This is not my intent and in keeping with the spirit of the orginator....lets first agree that anyone who owns a lever action rifle is lucky.

I'd like to keep this topic about the best make and model in sense of a hunting, shooting, collecting and the fit, finish and overall beauty and craftsmanship.

I'm not asking which rifle is most historically important or even which one is most popular...but rather which is most desirable for what it does and what it is.

Lastly....which caliber would you say is the most perfect for the lever action rifle?

My picks:

I have always thought the Model 71 Winchester in .348 Winchester has to be the rifle I'd most love to own. The rifle seemingly more rare than the cartridge. I have been to dozens of gunshows in my life and have NEVER seen one of these classics for sale.

I think the M64 Winchester has to be my favorite in the way the wood looks and feels. Wow.....the action is so slick.

Personally, I own a vintage Savage Model 99. The rifle was made in 1923 and is chambered in the .300 Savage. One of the most aesthetically pleasing rifles I have ever seen. The rotary magazine is a wonder....holding 5 shots in the magazine and one in the chamber....with the ability to work with high pressure rounds with pointed bullets. Amazing! My rifle is a take-down so if you ever HAD to fold it up....you could. I wonder how many other lever action rifles could do all of that?

Enjoy the topic.

Last edited by periscope_depth; 07/06/07.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Nuff said grin

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Well having only ever had one lever gun. I really can't say what the best make and model is. But for me I have had a few bolt guns in the past and never really wanted a lever gun. I allways thought they were too outdated and only for cowboy wanna be's. But after getting my m94ae I can now say I am hooked on lever guns. I mean I am amazed at how light and easy it is to get around in the bush. So in my opinion the best make and model of lever gun is any one that can make a bolt man like me want to grab a lever and go hunting. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My 1st lever gun (kid) was a Winchester Model 1892 25-20.
The rifle was vintage and near mint- the action was smooth and reliable, The rifle was easy to handle and accurate to shoot. Wished I'd held on to it. Many regard the Model 1892 as Winchester's best lever gun design.

In more recent years I've gotten hooked on Marlins, Big Bores, 336's, Model 1894's (pistol calibers 32 mag, 357 mag, 41 mag, & 44 mag)- most all of them, shorter barreled carbines.

Some find the length of pull lacking, the sight radius not adequate, and just about "everything else" wrong with them- until they actually shoot the gun- and find it comfortable to shoulder, aim , and fire- and hit precisely on target.

It seems almost as though, all the criticisms of "what's wrong" with a little lever carbine rifle- all combined together ... somehow make the formula just "right".

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Personally, the 99eg savage does it! Graceful, light and accurate - a work of art. I think the real beauty of lever guns lies in the fact that they were popular at a time when guns were designed by men, not computers. I don't care what vintage gun you handle, but if you were blindfolded, you would pick the old one for handling and feel.These things melt in your hands!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This will make some here cringe....Browning 71.

Does not have the gravitas of the Winchester, but a real shooter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin M39! The M39A has been in production longer than any other design still being offered (I think?). And for many reasons. They are incredible little works of art with that dainty little receiver, all steel construction, American black walnut stocks, and super slick actions. The M39 takes down for easy cleaning. The design has earned a reputation for ruggedness and reliability. And accuracy! In my preference, the 39A, we have a nice hefty barrel that balances so well and makes offhand shooting and field shooting a breeze. The M39 has brought many a meal to the table of American families over the decades. Cottontails, squirrels, and heaven only knows what other game species have been turned to a meal by the little .22LR lever gun. The little lever action .22LR has also protected the chicken coop from foxes, coons, and coyotes. In the old days "chicken hawks" were kept at bay. Pest such as burrowing groundhogs under the barn, skunks, opposums, and venomous reptiles were the duties of the M39A. Who could possibly guess how many young marksmen were taught safety, responsibility, and honed their hunting and rifle skills with a M39? Ahhh, fellows these are beautiful little rifles with a rich history of service. The M39A is my pick...
[Linked Image]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Ok after reading that about the M39A I am inspired to pick a couple of those up for my boys. Looks like it would be the perfect gun to teach them gun safety and hunting. Would be a lot of fun to take them squirrel and rabbit hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 405wcf
This will make some here cringe....Browning 71.

Does not have the gravitas of the Winchester, but a real shooter.

Yep......I'm cringin'.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dhaulk
Well having only ever had one lever gun. I really can't say what the best make and model is. But for me I have had a few bolt guns in the past and never really wanted a lever gun. I allways thought they were too outdated and only for cowboy wanna be's. But after getting my m94ae I can now say I am hooked on lever guns. I mean I am amazed at how light and easy it is to get around in the bush. So in my opinion the best make and model of lever gun is any one that can make a bolt man like me want to grab a lever and go hunting. grin

This one the closest to a bolt gun feel of any, ever, IMO.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My vote goes to the Winchester 1886 extra-light, that baby points like a fine shot-gun, is chambered in one of the best medium range cartridges ever made(45-70) Has a 22" barrel, with half magazine, so it looks great, all around a great action with awesome chambering. The fact that one cant mount a scope is no detriment to me, as the 45-70 is suited to medium range, something the rifle sights can handle well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, they're okay........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2muchgun...yeah, that was for you smile. You have a couple of beauties there, enjoy them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Browning '71's are actually very good....

'64's are cool too........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, as stated, the 99's......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us also not forget,

the model 55,
or the ever popular 1894, but to be perfectly honest,
I'd just as soon my 444..............grin

'55
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

94's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm a lefty so levers work well for me. My favorites are Model 88 in 338-08, Model 64 in 30/30 and Model 99 in 358. As far as 22's go I don't think you could find a better one than the Marlin 39A.
I like them enough that I really have more than I need. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 264bore
My vote goes to the Winchester 1886 extra-light, that baby points like a fine shot-gun, is chambered in one of the best medium range cartridges ever made(45-70) Has a 22" barrel, with half magazine, so it looks great, all around a great action with awesome chambering. The fact that one cant mount a scope is no detriment to me, as the 45-70 is suited to medium range, something the rifle sights can handle well.

+1!!!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool. Who stocked the 338-08? What is your other '88 chambered in? Looks like a fine specimen....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.