Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Are you referring to the press mounted or bench mounted RCBS swaging tool?

Seen hundreds of posts cussing the press-mounted unit. Had almost purchased such, almost, for a few years before researching. Don't see much negative about the bench tool.

The die mounted swager has to be set up properly for it to work. If the swager goes too deep, it binds. If it doesn't go deep enough, it doesn't fully remove the crimp. I used fired primers to test the primer pockets. It took two or three small adjustments, but it was done. I tightened the lock ring and that was that.

Ocassionally, the swager binds slightly, but a light tap on the press handle frees everything. Mine is set for my Rock Chucker. If you use different presses, pick one and always use that for swaging. It saves messing with the depth adjustment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Steve:

You left out Step 2: ream primer pocket with some cutting tool to remove the brass that the swaging tool didn't, in order to be able to seat new primer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been using this tool for many years and have removed the crimps from thousands of 5.56 and 7.62x51 brass. Never a hiccup. I just finished 1200 5.56 cases.

If I was having problems, and couldn't set up the die so it's at the sweet spot, the first thing I would look at is the swaging head. I would get another from RCBS.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Seen hundreds of posts cussing the press-mounted unit. Had almost purchased such, almost, for a few years before researching. Don't see much negative about the bench tool.

The die mounted swager has to be set up properly for it to work. If the swager goes too deep, it binds. If it doesn't go deep enough, it doesn't fully remove the crimp. I used fired primers to test the primer pockets. It took two or three small adjustments, but it was done. I tightened the lock ring and that was that.

Ocassionally, the swager binds slightly, but a light tap on the press handle frees everything. Mine is set for my Rock Chucker. If you use different presses, pick one and always use that for swaging. It saves messing with the depth adjustment.

Steve:

You left out Step 2: ream primer pocket with some cutting tool to remove the brass that the swaging tool didn't, in order to be able to seat new primer.

i also have used this tool for years and have never had to use a cutting tool to be able to seat a new primer. the whole premise of swaging is to retain the brass, but move it to a dimension that is able to take the primer. if you are going to use a reamer the swaging is usless.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Dillon bench mounted unit and a S1050. They both work better with sorted headstamps, the thickness of the case head web varies some and mixing some headstamps can cause some to be under swaged or bind. I shot HP rifle and needed a lot of cases ready to load so the better tools made sense.
Can't compete anymore, probably should sell some stuff in this wonderful covid economy....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Steve:

i also have used this tool for years and have never had to use a cutting tool to be able to seat a new primer. the whole premise of swaging is to retain the brass, but move it to a dimension that is able to take the primer. if you are going to use a reamer the swaging is usless.

That is a fair summation of my experience using the RCBS tool.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Great discussion. Pretty sure I will be able to pinch fingers in the bench tool also, so it's not a complete loss.... laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great discussion. Pretty sure I will be able to pinch fingers in the bench tool also, so it's not a complete loss.... laugh

So you're going with the press mounted RCBS or such?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth

So you're going with the press mounted RCBS or such?

I already, and happily, purchased the RCBS bench tool. At the time I'd have gotten the Dillon, but, availability took me to the RCBS. Although reports here indicate the press mount unit works, I had literally read hundreds of curses of them and cool with the triple cost. LOL

For the apocalypse I have secured a pretty good stash of brass, primers, Speer 50gr SP and 52 gr HP, TAC and Xterminator. Have some long range bullets too. Going to try some Campfire approved generic loads and just KISS. I have 1 in 7, 8 and 9 twists, 223, Wilde and 5.56 chambers so figure hot 223 level loads aught work. Well, it's on my ample list of things to do.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Steve:

That is a fair summation of my experience using the RCBS tool.

I agree, you don't need to remove material with a reamer if you use the RCBS swager. That would be counterproductive. I use the RCBS swager for 308/7.62x51 and 223/556 and it works just fine. No problems with it at all.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
How come peeps don't leave the good stuff on the ground at the range? You know, .44 Mag, .38-55, .30-30, .45-70, 7x57, .250 Savage? Stuff like that. I NEVER see any of that layin' around. -sniff-

Dan, I pick up some .44 mag, .30-30, and 7x57 from time to time. Not often, though.

I traded half a ziploc of the .30-30 brass I had for a Publix reusable grocery bag full of "almost new" holsters.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I pick up a bunch of 5.56 brass during the year. Prepping it is a decent hobby when it’s forty below outside.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yes, as many have commented above. It is slow and tedious and after swaging many of the cases will still need to be chamfered. If you're going to cheap out use a drill and a primer pocket reamer like the Hornady.

I run a Dillon 600 Super Swager and about 1 in 10 cases still wont seat the primer. The primer starts but gets tight and then you cant get the shell out of the hand primer.... Is that because I should be chamfering the primer pockets after I swage them? I was wondering if I didnt have the Dillon set up quite right or if there was another problem. I use CCI Primers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oakster,
My comments regarding swaging were in reference to the RCBS press mounted swager. It just never quite did the job for me; too slow and not uniform results. I just acquired a Dillon 600 and processed some Lake City brass with it but I haven't had a chance to start reloading any of it yet.
I will say that while it is a faster process than swaging with the RCBS unit, it still isn't as fast as reaming and chamfering in one operation with the Hornady reamer chucked into a drilL, like I was using.
I did put a slight chamfer on the brass I swaged with the Dillon 600 using an RCBS hand-held deburring tool.

Hornady primer pocket reamer
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RCBS deburring tool

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Oakster,
My comments regarding swaging were in reference to the RCBS press mounted swager. It just never quite did the job for me; too slow and not uniform results. I just acquired a Dillon 600 and processed some Lake City brass with it but I haven't had a chance to start reloading any of it yet.
I will say that while it is a faster process than swaging with the RCBS unit, it still isn't as fast as reaming and chamfering in one operation with the Hornady reamer chucked into a drilL, like I was using.
I did put a slight chamfer on the brass I swaged with the Dillon 600 using an RCBS hand-held deburring tool.

Hornady primer pocket reamer

RCBS deburring tool

I hate that Hornady tool - thing has too narrow an insertion angle and it will gouge the pockets. And it is cutting areas that it shouldn't as the crimp is just a little bit of metal at the rim of the pocket.
A 5+ flute chamfer tool makes the best cut to remove the crimp without mucking up the body of the primer pocket.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My research on using a cutter led me to believe this is the correct tool. 90 degree deburring tool. DB 18

https://www.amazon.com/PART-WEL98918-Weldon-DB-18-Deburring/dp/B07228QD34

https://www.dgisupply.com/product/WEL98918/

Got one off Ebay used for a song and a dance.

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rcbs swagging tool , three way cutter/ trimmer makes life easy
Some bitch and moan , pay .50 plus apiece and still can't find ammo , I collect and load and have several thousand rounds , enough said

Last edited by ldholton; 09/23/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have loaded some range brass, some found, some from cheap milsurp I have shot, it sure is lot of work and you wind up throwing a lot away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sons bring their friends down to shoot at the farm, and the one thing I require is that I get all the brass. As a result, I've got a steady supply of it. Over the spring, I decided to try a loading of the mixed 5.56 brass, hoping to make blasting ammo for the Mini-14's.

Yikes! It was a chore! I did it on my Hornady LNL AP. I think part of the problem was that my RCBS swager is pretty well done in. I need to replace the mandrels. I've bought the Hornady reamers to try instead.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't read the whole thread but I reload 5.56. I also turn some of it into 300 BO with a chop saw and a jig and also some into 6x45. I recently bought a WFT Worlds Finest Trimmer in 223.I had been trimming it with an RCBS manual trimmer and an electric drill. THE WFT is nothing short of a miracle.I have only trimmed about 150 cases but did it in about 1/3 the time.Here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbkOaPodVi0

Bill

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't seen this one mentioned, but this is what I use and it works great. I chuck it in a drill and can go through a tub of cases rather quickly.

https://www.rcbs.com/case-prep/trim/trim-mate-military-crimp-remover-2/855.html

Seems Hornady 308 Match ammo also has crimped primers, so I use the large one on them and again it works just fine.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.