Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Does anyone do this? Seems like I've heard a few stories about surprising a buck in close quarters and having to shoot in self-defense. Danger aside, I'm not seeing an advantage. Hunting the perimeter, maybe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Watch out for combines.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
that's what prompted my question. i have hunter safety ed this weekend and want to discuss this...any reason to get in there, don't see it, but i don't have the experience many here have

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sse
Does anyone do this? Seems like I've heard a few stories about surprising a buck in close quarters and having to shoot in self-defense. Danger aside, I'm not seeing an advantage. Hunting the perimeter, maybe.

I never had the op or privilege.

I understand the advantage....being a stalker or still hunter.

MUST, MUST, MUST hunt INTO the wind.

MUST go S L O W !

BE Locked & Loaded !! ON GO !!!!

Anticipation is high. Stealth is invigorating !

I've slipped up on friends who didn't KNOW I was in the county.....the closer I get...the bigger the smile.
NOT while hunting > EDIT

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/22/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doing so with others scares the bejeesus out of me.
And while I haven't done it in probably 20 years, I've killed a handful of bucks both with bow and gun in the rows of a cornfield – all during really crappy weather w/rain & wind.

WWP53D
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It is very dangerous. you could be shot by a sound hunter who thought he was alone in the corn field... I will never give anyone that chance to shoot me ... they are out there....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
YES Scott

ONLY by myself w/in 1/4 mi.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
few of these comments are kinda what i figured. There's other lessons, too, like better communication with the landowner about what the heck is going on

Last edited by sse; 09/22/20.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sse

Not being critical. I simply took that for granted. Never trespass. Landowner understanding & agreement.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have experienced similar results as you, Scott, when the wind is rattling the corn or it is very wet. I walk perpendicular to the rows looking left and right. With maybe just a couple exceptions the encounters have been near the end of the corn rows and the deer facing towards the end of the row. This may speak to the theory that Whitetails like "edge" habitat.

What is really exciting is being part of an army driving a corn field. If you are a stander you can hear the deer coming way before you see them.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by roundoak

What is really exciting is being part of an army driving a corn field. If you are a stander you can hear the deer coming way before you see them.

Yeah, I can 'hear' that ! LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I used to know folks who hunted swamps like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

I used to know folks who hunted swamps like that.

This same army drives back water "wetlands" and islands. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
organized and effective, as long as somebody knows how to shoot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have experienced similar results as you, Scott, when the wind is rattling the corn or it is very wet. I walk perpendicular to the rows looking left and right. With maybe just a couple exceptions the encounters have been near the end of the corn rows and the deer facing towards the end of the row. This may speak to the theory that Whitetails like "edge" habitat.

Yes sir - in nearly every case.

That's for sure. laugh

Back in the day, my father had seen a decent buck cross the road and into an 80 acre cornfield. There was a pretty good slope to the field so I went around to the back side and shimmied up one of the big maples that lined the fence row and could see down into darn near the whole field. Dad got a couple of his friends around the field and then a few folks went into the corn.

From my vantage point, I could see bits and pieces of deer running all over - it was actually pretty entertaining. laugh Some of the guys pushing were getting about 10 yards from the deer before they'd move. As they worked the field down the hill and toward me, I could see 4 different bucks in the field - darting, dodging, stopping, listening. Soon three of the bucks decided to get out of dodge with the nicer of the four headed directly my way and I ended up shooting him right beneath the tree (though I'll admit to my gun being out of slugs when he was finally down LOL). Two of the other bucks busted out of the corn and after WWIII, those two were on the ground. The other buck was patient enough to figure things out and I watched him sneak back between two of the guys pushing and he headed the way they'd entered the field (we didn't have enough guys to put a few guys at the back door).

As we'd all rendezvoused in the field, talking, laughing, gutting, an even bigger buck came out of the corn, trotting right past the 8 of us – all with unloaded guns and he headed for parts unknown. crazy

I used to love doing that sort of thing but damn, you had better know your hunting companions and trust the heck out of them.

WWP53D
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A couple of weeks ago, a 14-year old on a youth deer hunt in norther lower Michigan was killed when he apparently fell asleep while sitting in a field of standing corn and was run over by a corn harvester. Pretty sad situation...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-hunter-14-dies-run-corn-harvester-reports

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/22/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, was just about to post this !

If you do do it, don't stop for a sleep.

Something for your Hunter Ed talk SSE.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
A couple of weeks ago, a 14-year old on a youth deer hunt in norther lower Michigan was killed when he apparently fell asleep while sitting in a field of standing corn and was run over by a corn harvester. Pretty sad situation...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-hunter-14-dies-run-corn-harvester-reports

Originally Posted by sse
that's what prompted my question. i have hunter safety ed this weekend and want to discuss this...any reason to get in there, don't see it, but i don't have the experience many here have

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think I’d find where they are coming and going from corn and hunt that. It would be safer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I think I’d find where they are coming and going from corn and hunt that. It would be safer.

How many corn fields do you hunt in TX?

The reason one hunts IN the corn is because they're not coming OUT OF the corn.

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.