Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Whats the difference in these two powders? I assume the load data for one isn't interchangeable with the other. I'm looking at load data for a 300 H&H and H4350 is noted but not IMR 4350.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
t's likely to be in another manual. I've seen that often.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
GSPfan,
Go to the ADI website: www.adi-powders.com.au
They make H4350 and it's AR2209 here.
Cheers, Jack

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Close in burn rates, but not the same powder. I’m no help for 300H&H loads...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I seem to recall reading that one is more temperature sensitive than the other. Can't say for sure. H4350 seems to be more popular in some circles.

I've used IMR 4350 in the 6.5 CM with no issues, but haven't had the chance to do any real comparisons between the two powders.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Paul39
I seem to recall reading that one is more temperature sensitive than the other. Can't say for sure. H4350 seems to be more popular in some circles.

I've used IMR 4350 in the 6.5 CM with no issues, but haven't had the chance to do any real comparisons between the two powders.

Paul

IMR4350 is usually quite a bit more temp sensitive then H4350. Then again, H4350 is among the most temp stable rifle powders commonly available.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Whats the difference in these two powders? I assume the load data for one isn't interchangeable with the other. I'm looking at load data for a 300 H&H and H4350 is noted but not IMR 4350.

What bullet are you using? I'd use H4350, if it is listed in the bullet manufactures load manual. IMR4350 is a great powder, but is more temp sensitive. I still use it because I started using it a long time ago and have found some damn good loads with it. When loading for hunting loads, I generally work up my loads in the fall or winter, so there's no issues with the temp stability issue. I've seen more than 100 fps difference with loads worked up in the winter and fired in the summer. That will cause a slight POI shift and bigger spread in group size.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accurate makes a clone too.
A bit further from the mark if you check the burn rate charts.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ckat
Close in burn rates, but not the same powder. I’m no help for 300H&H loads...

YES. I recall Mule Deer saying they are very close and they're similar to 'different lots' of the same powder.
----------------------------

They're NOT exactly the same, approach the loads AS if you changed lots of powder.

MD, correct me If I'm wrong.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can look to 300 WSM data for 300 H&H Ioads.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
All I know is the one time I used IMR4350 in my Sinclair powder measure I played hell getting consistent powder throws.

I used it because I had to. Never again.

Last edited by Puddle; 09/22/20.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mathman
You can look to 300 WSM data for 300 H&H Ioads.

This is what I do and have for several years now.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
R
H4350 has been the most accurate powder i have used and i use it for several different calibers. never used imr4350 though

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have posted this here and there, and it's also part of Chapter 9 of the Big Book of Gun Gack II, "Different Batches of the 'Same' Powder."

For that I tested all three 4350s in the same .257 Roberts, by loading 45.0 grains of powder with the 100-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in my Remington 722's 24" barrel. Here are the chronograph results:

IMR4350: 3083 fps
H4350: 2980 fps
A4350: 2917 fps

These were all recent batches of powder. In this test A4350 is closer to H4831 in burn-rate.

Should also comment that the results could be different with another cartridge and bullet, and also that temp-resistance can be affected both by primer choice and powder-charge compression. The primary load I've used for many years in my Mark X Mauser Whitworth .375 H&H uses a maximum (and hence very compressed) charge of IMR4350, and is VERY temp-resistant. In cartridge/bullet combinations where IMR4350 isn't compressed it can be not nearly so temp-resistant.

In this particular test A4350 was the least accurate powder--but the charge could also obviously be increased somewhat, whereupon it probably would be more accurate. Many modern powders result in better accuracy when pushed to the max.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm using a Sierra 165gr BTSP. The rifle is a Ruger #1 platform I used for a custom project. I picked the rifle up from the smith yesterday and I'm hoping to find something fairly accurate quickly as I'm leaving Monday for a Antelope and Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming. It would be nice to use the new rifle but if development of a decent load doesn't work out it's not a big deal. I'll look at some data for the 300 WSM as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,
Do you have a "feel" for the relative volume or "packing" of the three 4350s?

Just curious if the key might be on the "the amount of powder that will burn" as controlled by the available oxygen...

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There was a test done where the same barrel was chambered first to 300 H&H, then to 300 WSM. In summary, they're pretty much the same cartridge in different shapes.

Hopefully Mule Deer will elaborate. Typing on this phone is distracting me from tonight's episode of Inspector Morse. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
John,

Just curious if the key might be on the "the amount of powder that will burn" as controlled by the available oxygen...

Smokeless powder carries its own oxygen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"At this point, what does it matter??"

Both are out-of-stock!

Glad I have ample supplies. Hope you do, too.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve used the IMR 4350 a lot. I get very accurate results. I have two pounds of H 4350 to try. I need to try Reloader 22 in a few also. It does really fine in a 270 Weatherby. It’s hard to make time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

Enough for complete consumption Mathman?
I dont know the formulas off hand and it's been a while since I played with stochiomitry.
Following up on bits and pieces from another thread

-OMotS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I understand it, the amount of molecular oxygen available in the cartridge case from air is negligible. The "oxygen" in smokeless powder is provided through an oxidizing agent, namely the nitro groups of the nitrocellulose which accept electrons from the carbon of the cellulose portion of the nitrocellulose. This is similar to molecular oxygen accepting electrons from the fuel in open air combustion of fuels. In black powder, the fuel is the charcoal (carbon) and the oxidizer is the potassium nitrate.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Quote from Mule Deer, "The primary load I've used for many years in my Mark X Mauser Whitworth .375 H&H uses a maximum (and hence very compressed) charge of IMR4350, and is VERY temp-resistant.

I have found the same thing in my 280 Rem with a moderately compressed charge of IMR 7828.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have used the same load of 46.5 grains of IMR4350 and H4350 behind a Speer 145 grain SPBT in a 7x57 Winchester Featherweight with almost identical results, same POI, velocity in 2800FPS range. 5 shot groups right @ MOA

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The boys I hunt with call the 4350’s an old man’s powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a test done where the same barrel was chambered first to 300 H&H, then to 300 WSM. In summary, they're pretty much the same cartridge in different shapes.

Hopefully Mule Deer will elaborate. Typing on this phone is distracting me from tonight's episode of Inspector Morse. grin

Have you tried "Endeavour" yet?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I haven't yet.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Both H4350 and A4350 are "short cut" powders, with similar-sized granules. IMR4350 granules are about the same diameter but much longer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

Gunsmith Charlie Sisk performed that experiment, at my request for an article in HANDLOADER. It's probably also mentioned somewhere in one of my books, but can't remember which one. He first chambered a barrel for the H&H, then tried several handloads with different powders and bullets, recording velocity, strain-gauge pressure and accuracy. This was all done on the indoor range he had in Texas ( he's since moved back to his native Kentucky), so temperature was consistent and wind non-existent.

He then rechambered the same barrel for the .300 WSM, using the same throat placement, but obviously having to cut off the rear of the barrel some. He fired the same bullets and powder charges, under the same conditions, and the results were just about exactly the same--including which loads shot most accurately.

John Steinbeck
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
IIRC it's in GG1 in the chapter on the 300 H&H. I just re read that and will try some of your load data.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Go to the website and see there....

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,

Both H4350 and A4350 are "short cut" powders, with similar-sized granules. IMR4350 granules are about the same diameter but much longer.

Thanks John.
I thought about phrasing my question around powder form factor later...
And that the ease of metering is a rough parallel to packing efficiency...

Originally Posted by 300_savage
As I understand it, the amount of molecular oxygen available in the cartridge case from air is negligible. The "oxygen" in smokeless powder is provided through an oxidizing agent, namely the nitro groups of the nitrocellulose which accept electrons from the carbon of the cellulose portion of the nitrocellulose. This is similar to molecular oxygen accepting electrons from the fuel in open air combustion of fuels. In black powder, the fuel is the charcoal (carbon) and the oxidizer is the potassium nitrate.

Thanks.
I found a NATO paper that discussed double base solid propellants (a 42%NC-52%NG mix having about 1,100 calories per gram)

NATO paper on solid propellants

Basically my takeaway was that the preheating zone of the powder breaks the bond between NO2//C&O allowing combustion to start.
Combustion goes in two phases NO2 and Secondly NO oxygenated...
No mention was made of ambient oxygen..

Interestingly though they found that copper and lead salts in addition to carbon black had a positive effect on the NO oxygenated portion of the flame.
This might provide some support for observations of a second shot being slightly faster than the proceeding fouler...

Sorry for the sidetrack....

-OMotS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco

Yup , maybe .

Call me a retro-grouch , but I've medaled at Camp Perry with IMR 4350 and 3031 using Sierra MatchKings . Ambient temperatures are enough to cause folks to pass out .

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oldmanofthesea,

My understanding from various readings is that by the time the bullet exits, the expanding powder gas is usually pretty oxygen-starved--which causes the HOT gas to reignite due to the oxygen in the atmosphere--which is what causes muzzle flash, NOT still-burning powder granules, as so many assume.

Also, if the powder charge produces enough pressure to be within the general design parameters of that powder, then all (or almost all) of the powder will have burned within a few inches of the chamber. If the pressure never gets that high, then some of the kernels won't burn, often a LOT of 'em. But accuracy can still be excellent, as I've found with various low-pressure loads over the years using easily-ignited powders.

It's when harder to ignite powders don't quite reach the "design pressure" that accuracy tends to suffer--one reason the accuracy of "starter loads" often has no resemblance to accuracy at max pressures.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought an 8lb jug of IMR4350 military surplus a few years ago. Loaded up some for my newest toy, a 308 Remington. I used 42grn of the IMR4350 and 168grn bullets. Shot one round and the bolt locked up. got it opened and the brass had no primer and I never found it. Fortunately it didn't burn the face of the bolt. I don't know why and I never fired anymore of that load. After thoroughly cleaning the bore and chamber I fired a 3 shot group with the same bullet and 43 grns of BLC-2. It shot a .4" group and no pressure signs.
Don't know if it was missed packaged or what. First time I tried it and the jug was sealed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you really mean 4350? 42 grains of IMR4895 is pretty standard under a 168 in a 308.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oldmanofthesea,

My understanding from various readings is that by the time the bullet exits, the expanding powder gas is usually pretty oxygen-starved--which causes the HOT gas to reignite due to the oxygen in the atmosphere--which is what causes muzzle flash, NOT still-burning powder granules, as so many assume.

Also, if the powder charge produces enough pressure to be within the general design parameters of that powder, then all (or almost all) of the powder will have burned within a few inches of the chamber. If the pressure never gets that high, then some of the kernels won't burn, often a LOT of 'em. But accuracy can still be excellent, as I've found with various low-pressure loads over the years using easily-ignited powders.

It's when harder to ignite powders don't quite reach the "design pressure" that accuracy tends to suffer--one reason the accuracy of "starter loads" often has no resemblance to accuracy at max pressures.

Thanks John I recall that (first 2 paragraphs) from a thread a couple of weeks ago, though I probably had forgotten the "few inches" bit.

Regarding Paragraph-3 (pressure) I was thinking the preheating (from the article) ties into how "hot" the primer is and how much NO2 is available at powder ignition leading to how fast the early burn is.

Anyway thanks for putting up with me as I work through the theoretical side of your many years of real world experience.

-OMotS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never heard of milsurp IMR 4350.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Last edited by Craigster; 09/23/20. Reason: delete double post

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Butch,

Along with that Craigster posted, my understanding is that IMR4350 never was a military powder. It was introduced in 1940, and was partly developed for use in the .300 H&H, which Winchester had chambered in the Model 70 a few years earlier.

Hodgdon sold some of what they eventually called H4831 as "4350 data" powder very early on, because the powder could be safely used with IMR4350 handloading data, since H4831 was a little slower-burning.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s like a Dodge diesel, ain’t the fastest, aint the sexiest, but it gets you there.

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

How appropriate as I hunt with old man calibers. I have no need for a 300 super mag when I have a 300 Savage and a 300 H&H. One of my favorites is a 7X57

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Both are out-of-stock!

There must be more than old men buying this powder if it's sold out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I'm GLAD...

They will not be competing for MY powder !

I don't use it in everything but it will work it A LOTTA things!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In my rifles with 7 mag.,25-06 and .270 The IMR4350 and IMR4831 were slightly less accurate than H4350 and H4831.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by StrayDog
In my rifles with 7 mag.,25-06 and .270 The IMR4350 and IMR4831 were slightly less accurate than H4350 and H4831.

I have a couple of pounds of H 4350. You are making me really want to try it!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by StrayDog

I guess having big jugs of both signifies a "real old man"... wink

Get it when you can, load up when you can.

Powder has a really long shelf life. I have vintage H-110 and H-4831 that are 50-60 yrs. old, still shoot like fresh powder. But ya gotta store'em right.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Butch,

Along with that Craigster posted, my understanding is that IMR4350 never was a military powder. It was introduced in 1940, and was partly developed for use in the .300 H&H, which Winchester had chambered in the Model 70 a few years earlier.

Hodgdon sold some of what they eventually called H4831 as "4350 data" powder very early on, because the powder could be safely used with IMR4350 handloading data, since H4831 was a little slower-burning.

John. ! just got back to this thread. I double checked the jug. It is marked Surplus military IMR4895. Grandson is coming over to load some for his M1 Tanker Garand. I will not use it at this time.
Sorry for the confusion.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
John,

Enough for complete consumption Mathman?
I dont know the formulas off hand and it's been a while since I played with stochiomitry.
Following up on bits and pieces from another thread

Look at the size of your case, any case. Even a 105 Howitzer shell isn't big enough to hold enough oxygen to burn all that powder. Aslo, what little bit of Oxygen is in that case would be consumed probably by the primer. But neither the prmer nor the powder rely on outside sources of oxygen to burn. All the oxygen any smokeless powder needs to burn resides within it's chemical compound. It's like Rocket Fuel. OH YEAH it IS Rocket Fuel!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As far as comparing the 4350s, I've never had that experience but I have with the 4831s. They are very different. Max load of IMR-4831 in my .270 Win.= 57grains. Actually that's the max in my old Speer No. Nine manual. But in my rifle I'm getting into higher than desired pressures of anything over 56.7. That manual states that when you get within a half grain of any max load you need to slow increases of propellant to 1/10th of a grain. I know that sounds anal but if I would have followed that advice I wouldn't have had a sticky bolt and flattened primer, which was what caused me to drop my load down and work slowly up and 56.7 was the magic point. And that all brings up something else that's mentioned on here. A Chronograph is a great tool. If you use it right it can keep you out of trouble. Now we all see people that post unbelieveable Velocities from time. I've posted a few. But when working a load up, if you see a questionably high velocity it should give you cause to check things out. I've had loads that were on the high side that were safe. But like when I was working my .270 load up almost 40 years ago, if I'd had a chrono I would have something that would have told me I was crossing the line. Now my my book says the max velocity for a load is 3000 FPS and my load is over 100 FPS above that, I'm going to stop increases until I conform it's not causing the case head to expand. Usually when that happens I call a load good. Also, if the velocity is swinging over 30 FPS from shot to shot I call a halt to increases. Then I'm backing off a tenth of a grain until it calms down to a dull roar. I'm no ballistician but I've learned enough to be cautious enough to keep from blowing my face off.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/27/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.