24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
My wife wanted some Orange Marmalade so I worked up a little different recipe. Couple ounces of Ron Zacapa Dark Rum at the end really makes this tasty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Orange Marmalade 9/22/20
6 Valencia Oranges. About two and a half pounds
Two Lemons . Wash with warm water and a soft brush to remove any wax coating

Using a sharp knife or a mandolin, slice the Oranges and Lemons into 1/8 slices. Reserve the seeds.
Cut each slice into half, and each half slice into thirds. Place slices and pulp into a large non reactive pot. Add about 6 cups water. Cover and set aside for at least 24 hours. Stir occasionally.

Boil the seeds and ends of the oranges and lemons in a cup of water for 15 or 20 minutes. Low Boil
Drain, reserving the liquid. Discard the solids and seeds. Add the liquid to the sliced fruit.

After sitting for at least 24 hours, uncover and stir the fruit. Bring to a boil, and cook on a low boil for 30 or 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit while you prepare the canning utensils.

At this point, prepare your canning jars, rings and utensils. Sterilize in a large pot of boiling water. Make sure you have a rack or trivet on the bottom of the pot so that the jars are not resting on the bottom. Before portioning the fruit, sterilize the lids, but only for a short time and remove.

Using a slotted spoon or a skimmer, remove the fruit. Measure. You should have around 6 cups of drained, cooked fruit. Measure the liquid. You want a ratio of 1:1:1 of cooked fruit, liquid and sugar.

Return equal amounts of fruit and liquid to a large non reactive pot (8 quart). Bring to a brisk boil. Add in the sugar using the ratio, and then add half a cup more. Continue to boil until your thermometer reads 220F. Stir often, but gently. It will take awhile. Do not let it boil over.
At this point, start testing the syrup, using the drip method or the frozen plate method. At 221 to 222F, the Marmalade should be ready to jar. At this point, you can add spices or alcohol. I use two TSP Allspice and 2 ounces dark Rum.

Remove the jars from the boiling bath, drain, and using a jar funnel, fill each to within an inch of the top. Carefully wipe each jar opening edge. Place on a sterilized lid and then a ring. Fasten lightly.

Place the filled jars back into the boiling water, and let sit for 10 min. The jars will emit a lot of bubbles. Remove and place the filled jars on a cooling rack. When they are cooled down, you will hear the lids snap, showing they have sealed. Place in a cool place for a few days, then tighten the rings. Date and label the jars.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/22/20.

Sam......

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bet it tastes incredible.

I remember as a kid Dad always had a jar of locally made King Kelly orange marmalade on the kitchen table. Sadly was bought out by Smuckers and they aren't making it anymore.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love really good orange marmalade. This one sounds delicious!

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
It set up well. The pectin from the seeds and fruit ends worked as planned. The jars have been sitting in the Pantry for 6 hours now, and the marmalade is already firm. I had 1/3 of a jar left over, and have tried it on toast. Has a very good, quite tart flavor. The Allspice and rum flavors are there in the background, not overpowering. I am very pleased.

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
looks very nice, think i'll go out and buy some, and some english muffins

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Sam !!

Love good marmalade & the rum addition should kick it up a notch.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks mighty good Sam!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FatCity67
King Kelly orange marmalade on the kitchen table. Sadly was bought out by Smuckers and they aren't making it anymore.
Grew up on KK. Makes me sick that we can't buy it anymore. It was 100x better than Smucker's. Real orange taste with some tartness.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by FatCity67
King Kelly orange marmalade on the kitchen table. Sadly was bought out by Smuckers and they aren't making it anymore.
Grew up on KK. Makes me sick that we can't buy it anymore. It was 100x better than Smucker's. Real orange taste with some tartness.

Lots of great Kommiefornia brands that arent around any more or own by some giant conglomerate.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
On Thursday, I made a batch of Meyer Lemon marmalade. First good lemons from my tree in a few years.

Sam......

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i had a coupon for .40 off a jar of Kroger marmalade...i passed LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1minute, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.