Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I think I’d find where they are coming and going from corn and hunt that. It would be safer.

Clueless.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwall
I think I’d find where they are coming and going from corn and hunt that. It would be safer.

Clueless.

I've pulled this off a couple times on an 18 acre field that has some pasture around it. There's CRP on both sides of that and a river on one side. It wouldn't work if there wasn't good habitat on both sides. I've done the perpendicular to the rows thing. Deer seem to prefer the upwind side.
I set up a deer stand on a telephone pole in a corn field a couple times just to prove it could be done. I took CNS shots because I didn't want them running. One year I combined the inside headlands leaving 12 rows all the way around then did a couple 6 row passes. Some of the deer kept circling back at the end. We punched 3 antlerless tags there.
When it was just me my brother and my brother in law we used to push corn fields. My oldest nephew isn't disciplined for that and he's mid 30s so I don't like the odds. There are 5 other nephews and a niece who show promise but we have a weak link. The drivers don't have much of a chance at a safe shot at a deer. The standers usually get the deer.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sse
Does anyone do this? Seems like I've heard a few stories about surprising a buck in close quarters and having to shoot in self-defense. Danger aside, I'm not seeing an advantage. Hunting the perimeter, maybe.

during archery if its windy and rainy ill look for standing corn to still hunt.

On windy and rainy days you would surprised how close you can get to a deer bedded in standing corn. Fresh soft snow or a snow storm works well too. Walk into a row, slowly per your head intent next row and look up and down. If see one back off a few rows and try and make your way down to them. 2 to 3 man drives with archery in the winter is fun too.

Ive shot about a doz over the years in the corn with a recurve

trying to stand hunt or ground blind hunt exit and entry trails is a crap shoot in the corn

Last edited by ribka; 09/22/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SKane

How many corn fields do you hunt in TX?

The reason one hunts IN the corn is because they're not coming OUT OF the corn.

Well. I didn’t know. I guessed they leave the woods to feed in the fields like they do here. I have hunted many milo and winter wheat fields. They leave the brush at dusk to go out in the fields. I’d move a tripod to bow hunt where they came out.

They don’t leave the fields to water??

Last edited by hanco; 09/22/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Our deer seasons are cold enough that they can take a drink at night and be good for the day. If it's been a rough harvest there can be snow in the corn and they don't need to leave for anything.

Set them free again
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Doing so with others scares the bejeesus out of me.
And while I haven't done it in probably 20 years, I've killed a handful of bucks both with bow and gun in the rows of a cornfield – all during really crappy weather w/rain & wind.

I did this back in my early thirties when corn rows were 2 1/2’ wide here and the stalks within a row were, say, a foot apart.
As Skane said a late fall rain or soft snow (before harvest) quieted your working down the row but you also needed wind to cover your sound. With the wind right you could shoot across rows and a little ahead as you spotted a buck peacefully bedded, maybe ten yards away

This is where quality wool clothes really worked. I used KOM in that Blowdown Grey. Worked perfectly.

The way corn is planted now it would be impossible to get down a row quietly unless you’d be 4’ thirty pound midget.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bucktail
Our deer seasons are cold enough that they can take a drink at night and be good for the day. If it's been a rough harvest there can be snow in the corn and they don't need to leave for anything.

That makes sense, most always hot down here. Deer are in the shade most all day, come out near dark. Watering holes are good places to hunt. The deer here wouldn’t have a clue what snow was. I’ve raked up baskets of Live Oak acorns, taken them to west Texas. The deer wouldn’t touch them,cause there is no oaks, but I’ve carried them to east Texas, ate hell out of them.

All the corn here was combined six weeks ago, the fields shredded and plowed under already.

Last edited by hanco; 09/23/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like they're about done cutting silage but they won't be combining for a while yet. If the weather holds most of it will be by opener. Last year some of it didn't come out until March. Once it snows the snow plugs the seives and you don't have to wait for it to settle.

Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I mistakenly spoke above. One doesn’t go down the rows but across. You need a quartering wind so it blows your scent where you’ve already been. And you need quiet clothes and noise reducing conditions.

When you got to the end of the field by crossing rows, you move upwind as far as you could glass down the rows on your first pass.

I did it in dry snow — seems rarer now — and some wind, but a rainy-damp day would work too.

However, I don’t know how you’d do it today, at least in my corner of Iowa, as the rows are planted so close together and the corn stalks in a row are so close you couldn’t move between them without knock them down.
And I doubt you could shoot across even two rows, they are so close.

As stated, I’ve been a few feet from pheasants resting in the sheltered rows and within ten yards of bedded deer. I was a traditional bow hunter at the time and didn’t take a lot of deer this way because the conditions were only rarely conducive to this kind of hunting. Iowa doesn’t often have powder snow but usually wind-whipped snow that‘s crusted in a day.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A few years ago a local pastor got busted for hunting standing corn. He was waiting at the end of the field as a combine was driving through the field.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best way to hunt standing corn is to start upwind of the field. Pour 5 gallons of gas along the upwind edge of the field. Put watchers on sides and down wind edge and set the [bleep] on fire. This tactic works best when the farmer who farms your hunting land is a A hole

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've bow hunted standing corn. If it's still standing in rifle season we drive it out.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
I get some of the best "sound shots" when hunting standing corn. Only works with a handful of doe tags

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I hunt standing corn, about 3-5 ft depending on the level in my feeder.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.