Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The crabs are placed in a ice bath for 20-30 minutes. This stuns them which makes placing them in the pot easy and their claws stay attached. Each layer of crabs gets coated with diluted yellow mustard then liberally coated with JO#2. Rinse and repeat.

The fluid to produce the steam is a gallon of apple cider vinegar, gallon of water and a beer. Get the burner going full blast, place crabs in with lid closed. Start a 25 minute timer when you see rolling steam coming out of the pot. This works if you have a bushel of crabs or two dozen. Throw in corn when you have 10 minutes remaining.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Love some blue crab. Dungee’s out here are nearly as good and easier to pick, but man, a heaping pile of spiced blue crab and cold beer......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We keep four pots in the water most of the time. I buy 100 lb of menhaden at the beginning of the summer as bait.

Steamed up a dozen or so the other day and just collected another dozen or so with the wife 30 minutes ago. Also had a nice pound-and-a-half puppy drum in one of the pots.

Nothing fancy but super easy living somedays.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We hate Old Bay here...

Tabasco in cakes... crumbled potato chips added sometimes before the skillet.

If picking... just roasted garlic and butter bread on the side...

Beer is good while picking, but gin and tonic with key lime is better IMHO.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by woodson

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice looking pile of crabs.

IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not like all that spice on my crabs. It takes away of the delicate flavor of the crab. That's just me in NC.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just south of me, in the Ocala NF, there is a salt water spring. It feeds into Lake George, which feeds the St Johns River. It is a great place to get blue crabs. I often get some when camping in the area.

Sam......

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mannlicher how do folks from Florida cook/season their crabs?

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The idea of “crab cakes” in other states hinges on blasphemy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I can’t speak for the other 21+ million folks here, but I boil them. Don’t really Add anything other than salt in the water. They come out tasting remarkably like crabs.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
since you mentioned crab cakes, this is the recipe, scaled down, that I used in my various seafood restaurants. They sold well.
Crab Cakes

One beaten egg
1/4 cup Hellmann's Mayo
Several tablespoons of chopped scallion/ parsley mix
Dash of Salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper
16 ounces of Lump Crab meat

1/2 cup bread crumbs. (A Hot Dog roll in the food processor works great for the crumbs). Add in 5 or 6 Ritz crackers when you make the crumbs

In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients, then add in the crab meat. Mix in the crumbs, until you get a mixture that will hold together when you make a patty. Add a little more Mayo if needed to keep the cakes together. Do not add much more though.

Form patties in your hands. Have some of the crumbs on a plate. Briefly lay them in some of the crumbs, and sauté in a mix of butter and olive oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I can’t speak for the other 21+ million folks here, but I boil them. Don’t really Add anything other than salt in the water. They come out tasting remarkably like crabs.

That exactly how we did crabs in Australia !!!!

Fresh white bread, butter, picked crab, cracked black pepper, squeeze of lemon - OMG !!!

Oh, & cold beer.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
since you mentioned crab cakes, this is the recipe, scaled down, that I used in my various seafood restaurants. They sold well.
Crab Cakes

One beaten egg
1/4 cup Hellmann's Mayo
Several tablespoons of chopped scallion/ parsley mix
Dash of Salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper
16 ounces of Lump Crab meat

1/2 cup bread crumbs. (A Hot Dog roll in the food processor works great for the crumbs). Add in 5 or 6 Ritz crackers when you make the crumbs

In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients, then add in the crab meat. Mix in the crumbs, until you get a mixture that will hold together when you make a patty. Add a little more Mayo if needed to keep the cakes together. Do not add much more though.

Form patties in your hands. Have some of the crumbs on a plate. Briefly lay them in some of the crumbs, and sauté in a mix of butter and olive oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.

We do the same here, but sometimes reduce the breadcrumbs and add ridged potato chip crumbles of similar volume.

Also works well on fish cakes.

Did a Jurel fish this way last winter and it came out wonderful. Added a fair bit of Tabasco. Jurel is a Pacific Ocean variant of a jack crevalle... that many claim is inedible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Boy Howdy. Have to say though that I had some fine ones at the now-defunct Austin Creek Grill in Hatteras. They had a for-real chef there, and while not exactly Maryland style, they were outstanding.

Had to go to Easton on Monday on estate business, and picked up a bushell, already steamed, my first this year and maybe my last since my business on the Eastern Shore is about done. We've been eating them like pigs and froze a bunch as well for later. Nothing better.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yep.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Boy Howdy. Have to say though that I had some fine ones at the now-defunct Austin Creek Grill in Hatteras. They had a for-real chef there, and while not exactly Maryland style, they were outstanding.

Had to go to Easton on Monday on estate business, and picked up a bushell, already steamed, my first this year and maybe my last since my business on the Eastern Shore is about done. We've been eating them like pigs and froze a bunch as well for later. Nothing better.

Jeez. You went right by my house and didn't even toss one or two out the car window to me, or stop and pick a couple with the cold beer I woulda provided!

I like them steamed with rock salt about as much as steamed with Old Bay.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.