Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Unless I can fit my parents in the go bag.....I gotta stay here.

They aren't leaving....and I wont go without them.

This. I can have the house rigged like Fort Apache in a few hours and Mom is only ten minutes away.

My house IS rigged like Fort Apache.

Mom's gone. Dad's gone.

Bring it on, azsholes.

smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife thinks the Boy Scouts got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 09/23/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by callnum
Without prescription meds most boomers are ded in a month. No sense in running to far.

LMAO.

You'll be wishing we were all dead.

Aszhole commies like you gonna be what stocks boomers with long memories like me's inventory.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do want to say that having something (even my get home bag) handy was comforting when we had that fire that was a few miles away last week.

As much as I love our place, I'd abandon it pretty quick if a fire was coming through the trees.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife things they got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.

Sorry, didn't see that before I posted. I agree 100%.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I go very far from home I carry some supplies in case I have trouble getting home. Short pump shotgun with extra buckshot. Pistol and extra box of ammo. Water, survival gear, tools, down sleeping bag, good boots, rain suit, insulated coveralls, gloves sock hat. Carry more in winter than summer. Civil unrest I am staying home. Have everything I need here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our homes are about 12’ft above sea level and in a tsunami zone. We have 2 bags on self in the garage to grab and go in 15 minutes.

Likely scenario is the sandy soil of our area will be liquified in places making driving the 1/2 mile out and up the mountain impossible.

Pack weight is at fast jogging level for wife and me. Ammo is heavy!

Insurrection, on the Oregon Coast? Yeah, I’m staying home. 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We are staying here, and we are not a soft target, and we are prepared for the long haul. Rio7

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by callnum
Without prescription meds most boomers are ded in a month. No sense in running to far.

LMAO.

You'll be wishing we were all dead.

Aszhole commies like you gonna be what stocks boomers with long memories like me's inventory.

Everytime he uses that boomer word, I am reminded of this;

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S

This. I can have the house rigged like Fort Apache in a few hours and Mom is only ten minutes away.

+100, I am the bug out spot for the family!

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by scott_arthur

+100, I am the bug out spot for the family!

Same here, Scott.
And they know it.

Same for my neighbors.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steve
Besides my "go everywhere" bag, since I live in the forest the wife and I both have a backpack with clothes and shoes in case of fires. A path has been cleared in the forest to drive through in case a fire comes from behind and a 4 wheel drive truck is gassed and aimed into the forest. Also everyone has camping gear hanging around but mine is already in backpacks. So no spending hours looking for everything, it is already ready. My wife things they got their motto "Be prepared" after they visited my house.

You fellas don’t “fire wise” around your home? It’s pushed hard here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
From the look of the Nadler thread, old Jer needs one....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No. She is more like "The Queen of Dink".... smile

Closest I come to what you are talking about for bugging out is when we are at the remote cabin. First thing I do when we get there, (about 50 river miles from the put in spot, and nearly 200 road miles to Fairbanks after that - there is a village clinic where the road meets the river...) is refuel the boat tanks. If someone gets hurt or sick, throw the duffles with the camping supplies in the boat, grab a rifle, and GO! The. boat box, including some food, and containing various other stuff remains in the boat.

Last edited by las; 09/23/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The thing no one seems to count on is that if things get real bad all those places that seem lonely now will not be lonely for long.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Absolutely, I trim all trees 18' up on mature trees, pick up slash and burn every winter, remove all dead standing from my property but my neighbor 50' from my front door is the US Forest Service. They are NOT good neighbors. And no matter how well my property is trimmed , when the fire get into the tree tops nothing you do on the ground will help. When I was a firefighter it was called crowning. I drove through 2 of these burn overs with fire equipment and it is interesting how fast fire travels. When I started down the roads the fire was on one side of the road only but within seconds we were burned over with fire on both sides. Exhilarating to say the least.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by las
From the look of the Nadler thread, old Jer needs one....

laugh laugh

He certainly looked like it

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=kaywoodie] "J'y suis. J'y reste!"

With credit to General MacMahon!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pardon me Friend but,

"I'm from the Country.... I'm from the Country "

HUH ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Absolutely, I trim all trees 18' up on mature trees, pick up slash and burn every winter, remove all dead standing from my property but my neighbor 50' from my front door is the US Forest Service. They are NOT good neighbors. And no matter how well my property is trimmed , when the fire get into the tree tops nothing you do on the ground will help. When I was a firefighter it was called crowning. I drove through 2 of these burn overs with fire equipment and it is interesting how fast fire travels. When I started down the roads the fire was on one side of the road only but within seconds we were burned over with fire on both sides. Exhilarating to say the least.

We do to. But you can't really defend against a fire moving at 20mph.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late to the meeting guys.
Good topic.
Lots of farmers and old fashioned guys that learned from our parents in spite of the gt education.

Has anyone noticed how the media and pop culture demonizes anything having to do with ol fashioned self sufficiency? I realize that none of us are an island. I'd be surprised if anyone lived on one. Knowing your needs and having a plan B gets us to rely less on the gt and big corporations that want to force us into reliance on them. That's how they exist and benefit.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.