Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
...for homemade chicken soup, starting with the feet. Add in hearts, gizzards and necks, along with a whole chicken, and in a few days it'll be the best soup ever.

[Linked Image]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I saved tbe paws from tbe chickens we killed this year. I have to cook tbem to use them. My wife wants notbing to do with them, and the gizzards.

A bit of detail on prep would be appreciated.

Not asking for a friend.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mazto balls? Love um.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
I saved tbe paws from tbe chickens we killed this year. I have to cook tbem to use them. My wife wants notbing to do with them, and the gizzards.

Not asking for a friend.

It's pretty basic stuff...just pluck everything that may be above the ankle area, scrub it down to skin and then wash any debris off. From there, you have the base for soup, just put some oil in a pot, brown the feet a bit and put the water, chicken and seasonings in for a long simmer.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Mazto balls? Love um.

And Kreplach! It's like a won ton mixed with a ravioli, with a sauteed beef and onion filling. In soup with horseradish, it's the type of thing that makes one a believer. In something.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jesus, I thought this would be a thread about Rice Krispie Treats or pumpkin pie or something. Instead it has a pot of chicken feet. Next time put Warning: Gross Parts in the title.

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by ironbender

Not asking for a friend.

It's pretty basic stuff...just pluck everything that may be above the ankle area, scrub it down to skin and then wash any debris off. From there, you have the base for soup, just put some oil in a pot, brown the feet a bit and put the water, chicken and seasonings in for a long simmer.

Thanks. We make lots of chicken stock from the backs. Wonderful stuff.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you've ever watched chickens scratching through a pile of cow or horse manure, there's no way you could eat those feet.............lol. At least not me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mazto balls? Love um.

And Kreplach! It's like a won ton mixed with a ravioli, with a sauteed beef and onion filling. In soup with horseradish, it's the type of thing that makes one a believer. In something.

Your frigging killing me.

Our local Jewish Food Festival was cancelled this last June and I'm jonesing hard.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
If you've ever watched chickens scratching through a pile of cow or horse manure, there's no way you could eat those feet.............lol. At least not me.

Im guessing your not a devotee of pickled pigs feet as well.

"Maybe we're all happy."

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i wonder if this would cure kung flu, better do some research

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotta give this a whirl

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The chicken feet are on my once is enough list.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
i wonder if this would cure kung flu, better do some research

Only bird flu. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there use to be a big mkt. in china for us made chicken feet. don't know if it still exists but bet it does.

my wife loves fried gizzards. i'm not so positive on them as she is. i like the liver (offal?).

i like a chicken stock made with a big bundle of herbs along with the chicken.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mazto balls? Love um.

Are them Kreplach anything like pelmeni or manti? Or larger?

Horseradish in chicken soup? Prepared or fresh grated. I've got some to dig soon, another thing to enjoy on a cold day.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Im guessing your not a devotee of pickled pigs feet as well.

Probably not oxtail soup or rump roast either. One knows what those things get covered in, eh?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Do you eat much sausage?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking forward to seeing the soup!

Makes sense to use those feet for broth. Have seen them for sale, but didn't know what they'd be good for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...for homemade chicken soup, starting with the feet. Add in hearts, gizzards and necks, along with a whole chicken, and in a few days it'll be the best soup ever.

[Linked Image]

For the feet .....

Dry, dust, fry, or skip the dust.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Do you eat much sausage?

Yeah, really - or hot dogs ?

Just something else for him to be opinionated about !

YMMV

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bit like crispy prawn heads ?

Paul.

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Mazto balls? Love um.

Horseradish in chicken soup? Prepared or fresh grated. I've got some to dig soon, another thing to enjoy on a cold day.

It's probably closest to the size of a pelmeni, but everyone makes them differently. Mine tend to be about twice that size, just because I am impatient and can't deal with the time needed to get everything uniform. They taste great but look like a monkey with ADHD made them. The horseradish for the soup is really simple-just grated very finely, mixed with a bit of salt, water and white vinegar and that's it. To the newcomers, the punch of that simple horseradish preparation will blow the tops of their heads.

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gus
there use to be a big mkt. in china for us made chicken feet. don't know if it still exists but bet it does.

my wife loves fried gizzards. i'm not so positive on them as she is. i like the liver (offal?).

i like a chicken stock made with a big bundle of herbs along with the chicken.

It's sorta weird how much Jews and Chinese like the discarded parts, even though there's a huge disconnect in how they love pork and we won't touch it. I love gizzards that are either fried, left under a duck or chicken on a roasting rack and allowed to cook in the drippings as the bird cooks or boiled low and slow over the course of a couple days in stock. When we were kids, everyone called the gizzards "pipyks" and claimed that it was the belly button of the chicken. We knew chickens didn't have belly buttons, but we also thought our folks were trying to get us to eat chicken testicles by calling them belly buttons. When we learned that it was a stomach and not balls, we were all in.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
We always ate the gizzards and feet when my grandmother butchered chicken. She was Saxon German from Transylvania. She also turned the pig intestines inside out and scraped them with the back of a knife to make sausage casings.

Eastern Europeans don't waste either. At the farmers market I go to in Ukraine they sell everything but the cluck and squeal.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 09/25/20.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like to simmer wild turkey spurs, clean 'em out and peel off all the scale/skin (then put 'em in borax). When i first did so thought it was gonna be gross, instead i left and returned to the kitchen a few minutes later, no issues, it smelled like chicken soup...!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
I like to simmer wild turkey spurs, clean 'em out and peel off all the scale/skin (then put 'em in borax). When i first did so thought it was gonna be gross, instead i left and returned to the kitchen a few minutes later, no issues, it smelled like chicken soup...!

How did it taste?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
ya know you can be irritating sometimes

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
on the rare occasion

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
hope yer happy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thank you! I’m very happy and wish the same for you. 👍

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mazto balls? Love um.

It's probably closest to the size of a pelmeni, but everyone makes them differently. Mine tend to be about twice that size, just because I am impatient and can't deal with the time needed to get everything uniform. They taste great but look like a monkey with ADHD made them. The horseradish for the soup is really simple-just grated very finely, mixed with a bit of salt, water and white vinegar and that's it. To the newcomers, the punch of that simple horseradish preparation will blow the tops of their heads.

Well, I'm going to have to do the horseradish trick to some turkey soup this fall/winter. Or maybe chicken soup the next time I make it.

My horseradish plants are showing signs of starting to die back. Time to dig some.

Do you need any homegrown horseradish? My wife hates it and I'll have way more than I need for my own personal use. I can easily send you some roots.

In it is contentment

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mazto balls? Love um.

Well, I'm going to have to do the horseradish trick to some turkey soup this fall/winter. Or maybe chicken soup the next time I make it.

My horseradish plants are showing signs of starting to die back. Time to dig some.

Do you need any homegrown horseradish? My wife hates it and I'll have way more than I need for my own personal use. I can easily send you some roots.

Thanks, that's very generous! I am in the same position with horseradish. Once it starts growing here, it's like a week. It makes me wonder why it's $6 a pound at the grocery store...

The soup is almost ready and the kreplach are now ready to be boiled. I just realized that the soup looks like something you'd find in a Halloween cauldron. I tried some last night and it was probably my best ever...the feet look gross but they add incredible body to the stock.

[Linked Image]

All of the solids that are in that stock will be sieved out later today and new carrots and celery, and the currently frozen gizzards, will be added to the last 24 hours of simmer.

The kreplach are totally homemade (well, I didn't slaughter the cow or grow the wheat, but otherwise it's all by hand). I tend to like an eggier and thicker dough, so that's how I make the wrappers, and I am terrible at making things uniform and dainty looking. But they taste great and definitely are a crowd favorite. The rifle isn't usually part of the show but I am getting ready to bring it back to Montana this time and figured it could photobomb the cooking pic.

[Linked Image]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sounds and looks fantastic...my bread board broke a number of years ago, never replaced it. did find one for a reasonable price on amazon, might have to order it

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Old pic or you got snow already?

That zoop does look good! ‘Cept for the paws. smile

Mazto balls? Love um.

Thanks, that's very generous! I am in the same position with horseradish. Once it starts growing here, it's like a week. It makes me wonder why it's $6 a pound at the grocery store...

The soup is almost ready and the kreplach are now ready to be boiled. I just realized that the soup looks like something you'd find in a Halloween cauldron. I tried some last night and it was probably my best ever...the feet look gross but they add incredible body to the stock.

[Linked Image]

All of the solids that are in that stock will be sieved out later today and new carrots and celery, and the currently frozen gizzards, will be added to the last 24 hours of simmer.

The kreplach are totally homemade (well, I didn't slaughter the cow or grow the wheat, but otherwise it's all by hand). I tend to like an eggier and thicker dough, so that's how I make the wrappers, and I am terrible at making things uniform and dainty looking. But they taste great and definitely are a crowd favorite. The rifle isn't usually part of the show but I am getting ready to bring it back to Montana this time and figured it could photobomb the cooking pic.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It may be a bit gauche,

but I'd like an invite to dinner someday!

That stuff looks wonderful.

Guessing from the rifle comment you're still in Cali for a bit.

I have to wonder about those horseradish prices too. It's not like it's hard to grow, heck drive from here up through Tulelake and it grows in the ditches there.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jewish viagra.

"Maybe we're all happy."

R
Remsen Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It may be a bit gauche,

but I'd like an invite to dinner someday!

That stuff looks wonderful.

Guessing from the rifle comment you're still in Cali for a bit.

I have to wonder about those horseradish prices too. It's not like it's hard to grow, heck drive from here up through Tulelake and it grows in the ditches there.

Not gauche at all! You're always welcome, though I'm not in CA more often than not (I go back to MT on Tuesday). I have a couple of cousins who live near Lake Shasta (Lakehead, specifically) and I need to make a run up with our soul food (chicken soup, kreplach, kishk, pickles, etc.) one of these days, so if you're nearby I'd be happy to bring some extra.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Enjoy the trip to your cousins' place and the visit there too. We're not traveling much right now, and that's about a 4 hr drive to the west of here, but thanks for the offer.

Perhaps some other time, or if you ever drive east and make a detour thru the CA Outback. You are welcome to stop by here and we can find something to eat. wink

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks wonderful !

Love me some low n slow, home cooking.

Paul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

420 members (17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,707
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.