Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Took about a 30 minute walk behind the house tonight. That Featherweight LC Smith is sure a joy to carry and the old gal didn't do too bad for being 96 years old.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well done....I've found no game Bird that compares to the Eastern or Appalachian Ruffed Grouse...

To have good Grouse hunting "behind the house" is a blessing not to be taken lightly....

Last edited by battue; 09/19/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice-----Love the photo.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Awesome great way to start the season.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fantastic to be able to hunt behind the house!

LOL
IC B2

160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Well done....I've found no game Bird that compares to the Eastern or Appalachian Ruffed Grouse...

To have good Grouse hunting "behind the house" is a blessing not to be taken lightly....

People fish on the weekends, I mow trails, disk trails, plant clover, etc. the tax man loves me but having a little chunk of dirt managed for wildlife is sure rewarding. I rarely shoot birds here but when I do it is with something “cute”. The last birds I shot here were with an old American Arms 410 double with hammers. I shot one on the fly, wiped the gun down and put it away forever.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You are very fortunate to have this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

16-, very nice on both the birds and the gun.

Battue, do you mean on the table, in a sporting sense, or as an all-arounder?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Saturday was the better of the last three days, it wasn't as windy. 3 ruffs, 2 spruce, and 7 woodcock made for a decent opener. My buddy did much the same though he only picked up on spruce grouse though he limited out on woodcock all three days. If my younger dog would settle down and hunt rather than run the bag might have been better.

To be truthful, one of the spruce grouse was taken with a pistol while clearing trails on Sunday. The trip up was mostly to do trail work after the winds over the summer. We were pretty lucky as the largest trees mostly fell away from the trails rather than over. For once.

I'm not as lucky to hunt ruffs right outside my door but I can find usually one or two after walking a few hundred yards. I have better luck driving 20 minutes to the east. Starting mid-October that initial walk is more likely to result in a rooster or two if the gods smile on me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I know your affection for Pheasants..However, and with little reservation I think Appalachian Grouse are the ultimate sporting game Bird.....

Wild Pheasants are special and if one has ever had the opportunity to hunt wild Bobwhites they are most fortunate. Ahhh, but the Eastern Ruffed Grouse, most often does not go into the vest easily or in large numbers. I’ve hunted them when their numbers have been great and when they have been few and for myself nothing compares.

None have yet figured out...and let’s hope they never do....how to tame the Eastern Ruff and make a preserve Bird out of them. 😉

Last edited by battue; 09/22/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I know your affection for Pheasants..However, and with little reservation I think Appalachian Grouse are the ultimate sporting game Bird.....

Wild Pheasants are special and if one has ever had the opportunity to hunt wild Bobwhites they are most fortunate. Ahhh, but the Eastern Ruffed Grouse, most often does not go into the vest easily or in large numbers. I’ve hunted them when their numbers have been great and when they have been few and for myself nothing compares.

None have yet figured out...and let’s hope they never do....how to tame the Eastern Ruff and make a preserve Bird out of them. 😉

Amen......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue, very good. I have never had the opportunity for Ruffed Grouse and at this point doubt I ever will. I’ve had minimal contact with bobwhites; a little more with Hungarian partridge. About the same with sharp tail grouse and spruce grouse.

While my experience with birds (not counting waterfowl) other than pheasant is narrow and shallow — mores the pity — at least with pheasants, it’s deep and wide. And I’m grateful for that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
nice. I'm hoping to go near the bemidji area this weekend after doing some family things.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Years ago while logging I cut a pine and while watching it fall I saw a grouse flush. Walked over and it had a nest at the base of another pine. I sprinkled a few pine needles on the nest to see if she came back. She hadn't moved any of the needles the next morning and so I wrapped 11 eggs up in a sweatshirt and hauled em out on the skidder. Took em to my dads that evening and 3 days later 1 hatched. We kept it 11 years inside the house. What an experience. I learned alot of grouse language; fun in the fall while bow hunting talking to young birds. This was a Ruffed Grouse! Not many round here at all now. I worked with the NCWRC during that time and I remember telling the small game biologist about "Ruff" and he didn't believe me till I took him pictures. It was fearless. Would fight anything and eat anything.

God Bless, Louis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I envy you guy's with good grouse hunting. Haven't been able to find it here in Oregon. But when I lived in Montana and Alaska, grouse were king with me, not only for eating but hunting also. Tried them a few times again this year and hit the same places that have always failed me but were closest to home, 100+mi one way. If I weren't so old and settled in, to much junk collected over the years, I'd move back to Montana or Alaska, probably to Montana.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice bag.
The lone breeding par we have had for a few years is now a fivesome.
So staying a bit further afield for the time being hoping to get a better population base.
Saw a few on the road last weekend in addition to a bunch of wild turkey, but never while in pursuit...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good shooting!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
only thing i can say the ruff grouse are still tasty this year fried in butter !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.