Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sitting here working on my second cup of coffee as the freight train moves east toward Brainerd, blowing it's horn as it crosses the intersection nearby. Harkens back to a simpler place and time of my youth when you could tell it was 9:30 p.m. as that's when the southbound freight train crossed a nearby road and blew it's horn. It was very punctual. You could set your watch by it and never be off more than a couple minutes. Pleasant memories. What were some sounds you always enjoyed hearing? Another was during fall harvest time when the crops were being worked. Tractors, combines, and hay wagon trains all putting in their time, getting the crops out of the field before the snow flew.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
When I was a boy we didn’t have air conditioning so in the summer months I went to sleep at night listening to the night sounds. Whipporwills were my favorite. I had forgotten all about them until I camped during spring turkey season in the Ozarks And heard them every night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandmother, aunt and some help in the packhouse grading and tying tobacco. I'm sure I was underfoot and a pest. Cool damp mornings helped get the leaf in "order" so it wouldn't crumble while grading, tying and pressed. Loved break time, SunDrop and honey buns. My grandparents would feint away if they saw how the leaf is handled now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Typewriters, rotary dial phones, steam locomotives, and those one-lung John Deere tractors - all very distinctive memory sounds that simply are extinct.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Siren at noon.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Trains run regular through Wabigoon, Ontario, I enjoy the horns.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dess
Siren at noon.

7:00 AM and 6;00 PM as well.

When working out a Einar Lindstrom's, you could hear the noon sirens from Albert City, Laurens, and Marathon. Naturally, they were all a few minutes apart, and each one of them was, by God, the right one.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The bonging of the grandmother clock in my grandparents house and to a lesser extent, the whir and chirps of the cuckoo clock they had as well.
I now have the cuckoo clock and my brother has the grandmother clock.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is rather an odd one to remember, but I can hear it as clearly as if it just happened. On chilly mornings, I would lie in bed and hear Dad go down in the basement to ignite the fuel oil furnace. There would be the squeak of the door in the furnace as he opened it, a whoosh as he ignited it, then this "Kar-CHUNG" sound from him as he cleared his throat and sinuses.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The old sawmill north of the house.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I believe that I can relate to that one as it often takes place next to me in bed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hearing my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles speaking Italian, English being there second learned language. As kids we were told that there was no need to speak Italian, we were Americans. A big regret of mine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Hearing my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles speaking Italian, English being there second learned language. As kids we were told that there was no need to speak Italian, we were Americans. A big regret of mine.

Damn it Ed now i'm all choked up.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The noon siren on the roof of the fire station. Glass Pack mufflers on cars. Sleeping in the summer with the window open and the screen kept the mosquitos out and let the cricket noise in. Then waking in the morning to hear the soft clucking of pheasants that would come in from the field out back to patrol the yard at dawn for insects or whatever.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I believe that I can relate to that one as it often takes place next to me in bed.

Haha! Similar.

No, ole Merton would fire up the mill about 4 or 5.

That way, he and Wendel could get some cutting done before it got hot and the steel plate in Wendel's would cook him.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The school bell ringing school's out! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ships blowing their fog horns coming up the Delta from San Francisco Bay in the dead of Winter.

The old air raid sirens that got tested twice a year for disasters.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clyde Ferrell used to operate a sawmill 1/2 mile further up the hollow from where I deer hunted and still do.

He had a heart attack about 1995 and that was that.

7:05 am, he would rev that mofo to about 8000 rpms three times then settle back at about 3/4 throttle.

After that, you were hunting strictly VFR, you dang sure wouldnt be hearing no subtle twig snaps of approaching whitetails after 7:05.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

.......... My maternal grandparents were both first generation German - American and bi-lingual. Spent a lot of time there when I was very young. They would speak German in front of me when I wasn't supposed to know what they were talking about. That stopped when I started learning German by listening to them. I wish they would have continued so that today I could be bi-lingual too. It's not so easy to learn a new language as an adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Milking machine vacuum pump and compressor.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.