24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a great time hunting Abert's squirrel this weekend. Seven of us made a period camp and hunt in the Gila National Forest. We shot a bunch of squirrels and feasted on dutch oven squirrel with gravy and onions, johnny cakes, and cold adult beverages. The weather was perfect for minimalist camping.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like a lot of fun. Good stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good doin's there PDS!!! I haven't done anything like that in years. I knew of Aberts squirrels but I suppose those are the first pictures I've seen of the real thing. They're quite pretty. Evidently they eat well also!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat is cool!

So, are those squirrels all over the Gila forest or are there select areas?

Last edited by ingwe; 09/22/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Great pics PDS. Looks like a great hunt. I miss the Gila.

They were some down in the Burro mountains west of Tyrone about 30 years ago!

Named after this fellow’s pappy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/22/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
pds that looks like it would be a lot of fun

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks Bob, nice to know who gave em the name.

I haven't seen Abert's squirrels in the Eastern part of the Gilia. We were right at the Arizona State line near Luna, NM. I think they are thicker the closer one gets to Arizona. One hunter shot one with a black belly. He said it was only the second one he has ever seen that color and he has hunted that area for decades.
I grew up hunting fox squirrels in East Texas, Abert's squirrel was a new experience for me.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
R
R
what caliber did you use? i have used my.36 a couple times but really want to try my 20 gauge smoothie

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Roughneck579
what caliber did you use? i have used my.36 a couple times but really want to try my 20 gauge smoothie

Yes! After deer season I’d like to assist the son and grandson in the creekbottom with my 20 bore Virginia smoothrifle. When its cool and crisp!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I used my 40 cal Lancaster (head shots) and my 20 ga Chief's gun. I loaded the smoothbore with one ounce of #2 shot over 80 grains of Goex.

#2 shot may seem like over kill. But I shot a ton of squirrel with #6 shot out of a 20 ga, 870 as a kid. Usually tore them up, and left pellets in the meat.
Thinking fewer pellets would cause less damage and larger pellets would penetrate totally, I loaded #2 and took some #6 in case my theory didn't work. Well it worked like a charm. I was able to make mostly head only shots with the smoothbore and no pellets remained in the meat.

Other hunters were shooting 32, 36, and 40 caliber flint rifles. There was another smoothbore in camp but he didn't use it preferring his rifle. One hunter loads his 36 cal with 15 grains of powder. It sounded like a pop gun when he fired, but he knocked them out of the tree with head shots.

The recipe for squirrel and gravy was awesome! Using a 14 inch Dutch oven, 14 squirrel hind quarters were floured and seasoned, then browned in lard. Those were removed, and flour, butter milk, sliced onion, and a little water added to make gravy. The meat was returned to the gravy, the lid placed on the oven, covered with coals and baked for 30 - 45 minutes.

Those were the most tender squirrels I've ever eaten.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am trying to find time to finish my squirrel gun, but I have so much to do I seldom get time to work on my own toys. I started it 7 years ago. It's all built now, but no finish work is started and I have to carve and engrave it too.

I have no need for it because we have no squirrels here. I just like it. It's 28 caliber flintlock. I think it will be fun to shoot. I will use it on cotton-tail when it's done.

Maybe someday I'll go east and get to actually use my squirrel rifle on some squirrels.

Last edited by szihn; 09/23/20.
R
R
i really like the 40 caliber but don't own one anymore. i use to mainly use mine for paper matches and it was an accurate light weight rifle. i have a Tennessee Poor Boy and a Lehigh Valley in .36 and mainly everything else is bigger calibers for hunting deer & elk.

that recipe sounds good on the squirrels!

i have always wanted to visit the Gila National Forest, might be able to do it this winter when we got to White Rock to visit my wife's family.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have been upgrading by replacing my factory rifles with custom builds. I am now down to just two, the .40 Lancaster and the 54 Hawken. One of those will cover any application I can come up with. To complement those I have the .20 gauge Chief's grade trade gun from NorthStar West, and a Navy Arms 12 ga double barrel. I am good to go for the flintlock era of the percussion.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I’ve kilt a wide assortment of local critters here with a .40 RB. Pigs, deer, turkey, etc. I still have one I built. I need to take it out more often. It’s very handy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Made everything here. Rifle, bag, horn. (There is a small bag knife on back of pouch. I didn’t make it). 😊

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/24/20.

Founder

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
808 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.