Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Trail Boss is your friend for endless offhand practice up to 100 yds. Countless ways just practice

GB1

A
A
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Hoping to do a coastal brown bear hunt in the next two years and need to get a rifle ready. What caliber should I be looking at to keep the guide happy? TIA

For me personally I will go for a .308 Caliber, very solid.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by North61
My Winchester 95 in caliber .405 is the slickest feeding rifle I have ever owned. It even feeds upside down when fed slowly, (don't ask how I know). Even the great Winchester 71 and some of my bolt guns fail at that test. Would this ever matter? Probably not but I trust the 95 as the closest thing to controlled round feeding in a lever gun. With 300 grain Woodleighs it also kills stuff pretty well. If going for a lever I'd feel very comfortable with the 95.

I'd marginally rather have a 30-06 with 220 Partitions than a 7 Mag with 175's but those would be the minimum choices for me. I am not a bear hunter but I do hang out in the wilderness in the Yukon and my favourite 25-06 caribou rifle starts to feel pretty small when a bear comes by to check out the gut pile. Looking at the disposition paired with the bone and muscle mass I'd think a designated bear rifle would start at 9.3x62 and go up from there.

North, yah the 95 is a reliable, bizarre looking rifle! When I soft cycle a rifle, sometimes I'll get a jam with other guns, not the 95. This year's hunt was a unique situation:

Sparring back n forth with a big bull moose, throwing out challenge grunts, he wouldn't clear brush for clear shot. Finally, he rushed out to open spot. He was very close, and moved real quick. I soft cycled round into chamber, so as not to make any noise. Done deal. Never cleaned the rifle the whole trip. Real gritty and rusty. Never missed a beat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoughts on an open sighted Marlin 45/70 with hard cast, heavy bullets?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=150

Jorgel, I’m sure this load and others on this page would work fine. However, you change up the scenario you are working toward a bit as opposed to a 375 with a good low-range scope. Having been around the big bears, I’d think you want to be well within 100 yds.

Think a very liberal bow-hunting scenario as to range.

And that’s after I see you put five into a tea saucer at 75 yds back at camp. Or at a hundred. With those irons. 😉

It’d be an interesting way to do it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Jorgel, I’m sure this load and others on this page would work fine. However, you change up the scenario you are working toward a bit as opposed to a 375 with a good low-range scope. Having been around the big bears, I’d think you want to be well within 100 yds.

And that’s after I see you put five into a tea saucer at 75 yds back at camp. Or at a hundred. With those irons. 😉

I was just asking, as I know a lot of folks use that caliber up there. Would not be my personal choice. as to putting three into a tea cup at 100 with irons, easy peasy...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Factory ammo is getting thin. Pretty soon it’s going to be “whatever you can get”.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I was just asking, as I know a lot of folks use that caliber up there. Would not be my personal choice. as to putting three into a tea cup at 100 with irons, easy peasy...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Touching off any of those referenced loads in a Marlin ‘95 though — that or going to a dentist might be a toss-up. 🙂

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
“Just show up with a 6.5 Creedmoor and your guide will be happy“

I agree with that, FMJ for Africa style penetration

Explain to the guide that you can continually shoot thru the same hole at 80y to get deep deep penetration

Alaska Fish & Game suggests 30-06 w heavy bullets

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
there is no one here or in Alaska thats going to argue with a .416 Ruger you can hit the bullseye with.That, or id take my 9.3x62mm Mauser. Thats just what i would think, as long as my guide didn't have a better suggestion.

Last edited by Blackpowder8bore; 12/18/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackpowder8bore
there is no one here or in Alaska thats going to argue with a .416 Ruger you can hit the bullseye with.That, or id take my 9.3x62mm Mauser. Thats just what i would think, as long as my guide didn't have a better suggestion.

Would it be a better suggestion of just a different one. For my way of thinking that 9.3x62 would be more than adequate if you shoot it well.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackpowder8bore

Would it be a better suggestion of just a different one. For my way of thinking that 9.3x62 would be more than adequate if you shoot it well.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Personally, I like a .300 Mag or 338 Mag. Doesn't really matter which one and a low power scope. That being said, while moose hunting, I ran across some Alaskan natives that had killed a bear and they were using a 375 Brown (wildcat?) and a 375 H&H. They had their rifles scoped with Fixed Sixteen Power Target Dot scopes. Maybe they know something I don't, but that wouldn't have been my choice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What is wrong with people always wanting the minimum caliber for game..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Woosies or they got maxed out cc's and can't buy a new gun.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brown bear hunts cost a LOT these days, especially when a plane flight is added to the price. Why wouldn't somebody be interested in whether one of the rifles they already have would work?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brown bear hunts cost a LOT these days, especially when a plane flight is added to the price. Why wouldn't somebody be interested in whether one of the rifles they already have would work?

Yuppers.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redlander
On an expensive, guided coastal brown bear hunt, and want to make the guide happy? Bring a medium bore you can shoot well. Because of ammo availability, I’d lean toward the .375 H&H or Ruger. It’s what I used on my grizzly this spring. Can you handle a .338 Win Mag? Bring it. Next would be .35 Whelen or 30-06 (which is my all purpose rifle). My evolving thoughts on the best cartridge for Alaska May be turning to the .35 Whelen. Your guide would probably be disappointed with the 30-06.

You need a solid scope, perhaps with detachable mounts, and back up iron sights - just like my Model 70, 1.75-6 Leupold, Talley mounts, and pop-up peep rear sight w/fiber optic front sight.

The ammo was Hornady 250 gr. GMX. One shot at 125 yds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful bear! Nicely done.

Regards, Guy

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 458Win
After over 40 years of doing this, I will say the quickest kills I have witnessed over the year were from propel shooting rifles they were comfortable and competent with, and a 270 or 7 mag, . 308 or a 30-06 loaded with premium bullets is as deadly as any hunter needs. If you have something larger you like take it, but only if you are comfortable with it.

Some sanity. Thanks Phil

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Nothing.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.