Print Thread
Hop To
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have an outfitted back country elk hunt coming up. I did an internet search on this topic and found a few articles that suggest tipping 10-15% of the cost of the hunt. At the upper end of the range that could put the tip at close to $1,000. Does that sound right?

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
As a former fishing guide, I would have to say,"It depends"
I would base the tip on the level of service received during the hunt. If you are impressed at the level of effort the guide puts into helping you have an enjoyable hunt, show it. If you get stuck with a real slacker who doesn't seem to care, they should expect nothing. I would also have to say the tip could be effected by your ability to pay. A guide should not be expecting a pile of money from someone who has had to save for years to afford the hunt. When guiding clients who have more money than they know what to do with, it would be reasonable to, at least be hoping, for a healthy tip.
From a guides perspective, some things depend on the client. Some clients are at best, high maintenance adult day care. Some just need to be pointed in the right direction, then get out of their way. If I spent a day in a boat with some guys who wouldn't listen, were trying to run the show, and used every breath to tell you how amazing they are, well you get the idea.
So, 10%-15% ? It depends.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That percentage should be good. Tip the guide on the service he provides you. The success is secondary.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
15% is a good rule of thumb. On a wilderness hunt you want to tip the guide, the cook and the wrangler is there is one. Whoever takes care of you should get something. Every trip I've been on I made sure they felt appreciated. If you decide to come back they'll remember you for how you treated them.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you all for this information. I’m pretty sure that guide’s salaries aren’t very good considering how hard they work.

IC B2

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’d bring 20% cash and tip appropriately depending on the guides effort. Anywhere from 10-20% is a good tip. Some hunters are a pain to deal with and should tip the guide even more for having to put up with them for a week. I experienced this when sharing a camp with another guy hunting NV mule deer. Guy was a complete jerk and I felt bad for his guide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have an outfitted back country elk hunt coming up. I did an internet search on this topic and found a few articles that suggest tipping 10-15% of the cost of the hunt. At the upper end of the range that could put the tip at close to $1,000. Does that sound right?

Seems about right. More isn’t uncommon and is more than welcomed, obviously. Had a guy one time toss me the knife that you get when signing up for The Huntin Fool after carrying 2/3 of his personal chit for 50+ miles and handful of vertical feet. Reckon that story and name has been shared a few times.

I’m a nobody in that world, but the point is guides/outfitters talk, so if you have plans for more in the future, a healthy tip is a good way to insure good stories.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
The success is secondary.

I agree! If a guide has been doing his job well trying to make my trip successful and fun, he gets a tip even if my luck or fate is a strike out.

The guy spent a few days of his life trying, so that's worth more than nothing.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
The success is secondary.

I agree! If a guide has been doing his job well trying to make my trip successful and fun, he gets a tip even if my luck or fate is a strike out.

The guy spent a few days of his life trying, so that's worth more than nothing.

10-20% is the "right" price range in our group - if you work hard for us, we will take care of you on the back end.

Success is not a factor UNLESS the guide or outfitter is obviously out of their league - or unsafe, or dishonest - about the whole affair.

If you are a jackss hunter as a shot, a person, or in preparation / execution of the hunt - yes, you're going to get a hard reputation - and it will get around.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/25/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.