Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was toying with the idea, I am also wondering how it flies can you get decent roundness? If i do get one I think it will be 4 buck. or maybe 2 buck. I like a decent pattern for shooting running coyotes at closer ranges...........thanks

BP-B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've been considering pouring my own also. Sharp Shooter USA makes a combo mold with #00 buck on one side and #4 buck on the other. There are several you tube videos showing how they work.
I've got a lot of lead collected over the years smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My great uncle Tony used to roll his own buckshot loads using split shot....Ya know like the ones for fishing. He did not use the ones with the little ears on them to make them easier to open.....He used the round ones and would fill the wad cup with cream of wheat and tap to settle before crimping.

Those rounds worked fine and held a better pattern than the factory fodder out of my old Mossberg 500 ABR with the 30" full choke barrel.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
K
K
A Sharp Shooter Mold work good. In a 12ga I found reloading 0 buck makes a better load. Ease of loading an better patterns.
An 00 buck in a 10ga.

Last edited by kskybroom; 01/31/13.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thank you

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have cast buck shot using a multiple cavity mold. I won't do it any more, too time consuming. I just buy 32 or 36 caliber round ball and us that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes, although they will have sprues, so they aren't perfectly round. They work good enough.

I recommend WW metal with some tin, water dropped from the mould.
The mould is a LEE, gang style. Its okay.
I assure you they will be harder than any commercial pellet, even copper plated ones.

I don't recall the load, but I think it was with Longshot in the Hodgdon manual.

Last edited by HawkI; 05/30/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yes, although they will have sprues, so they aren't perfectly round. They work good enough.

I assure you they will be harder than any commercial pellet, even copper plated ones.

I don't recall the load, but I think it was with Longshot in the Hodgdon manual.

Good advice. I used Blue Dot and Herco in my loads. Works just fine at close range. Instead of cream of wheat or other filler, I used smaller shot to fill the gaps between pieces of buckshot.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used to cast round ball for my 32 and 36 caliber black powder pistols but gave that up as buying buckshot for projectiles was cheaper and easier. I still have the molds but it is probably even more expensive these days as lead wheel weights aren't as easily found as they once were.

For "close" coyotes I found lead BB and even #2 birdshot to work much better than any buckshot. #4 birdshot and #4 buckshot tie as a distant third place. The larger sizes do not even make the cut for me as patterns are just not there. I liken them to steel F shot for pass shooting geese. The "magic" pellet was spectacular to see but there were many gut shot birds that sailed off. Out to 40 yards I expect a dead coyote when I do my part with my chosen loads. These loads are buffered ones from Tom Roster's manual from back in the days lead was legal for waterfowl. They put the hurt on geese and cranes well beyond the norm and do pretty good on coyotes closer in.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Take a look on You Tube at

Bubbaroundtree

This guy really knows his stuff on buckshot loads. He has buckshot loads for distances you will just have to see him shoot to believe, and they run deer with dogs in shot gun areas.

Steel is a powder that is coming on strong.

Roll Crimps reduces pressure on a given load, if that is good or bad depends on the load. Roll Crimping, trimming hulls, making your own wads for use with gas seals from Ballistic products can be fun.

Turkey chokes in my 11/87 and Mossburg 500 produces long range patterns that are impressive, but you do not always want a tight pattern.
I have poured #4 and 00 from Lee molds, they are good molds and perform well. You can use Alox lube on the buckshot which is a mess, or powder coat the buckshot for decreasing spreads.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bubba+rountree+outdoors+

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI

The Lee 00 is a great mold.

Like Hawk said, use wheel weights. Very minor compression dents.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, just talked to an old crazy shotgun loader Buddy, ordered some clear 2-3/4 inch Fiocchi hulls, X12X over powder wads, and some over shot wads, will use 23gr 800X to power twelve 000 Hornady hardened buck pellets for a nice MAX payload buckshot load for around the house, it'll be a fun after hunting season wintertime project.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yes, just talked to an old crazy shotgun loader Buddy, ordered some clear 2-3/4 inch Fiocchi hulls, X12X over powder wads, and some over shot wads, will use 23gr 800X to power twelve 000 Hornady hardened buck pellets for a nice MAX payload buckshot load for around the house, it'll be a fun after hunting season wintertime project.

Well damn, that's what I get for typing in a hurry, meant to add i'll be using the Lee 000 buckshot mold when the Hornady shot is gone, it throws 18 pellets at a time, may even try to cast some with 22 BHN alloy.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, well, what fun, I can see why so many enjoy shotguns the way they do, my first foray into casting and loading buckshot went off without a hitch, worked up what I believe to be a very effective load using the 2-3/4 inch hulls.

Clear 2-3/4 inch Fiocchi hulls
24gr 800X
X12X over powder wad seated with 30 lbs compression
Twelve 000 buckshot pellets from a Lee 18 cavity mould, they mic .361.5 diameter, and weigh 69 grains each with 22 BHN alloy, very hard pellets.
A clear plastic over shot wad and I guess a 7 or 8 groove star? crimp.
The load clocks a sedate and easy on the shoulder 1189 fps.
Total payload for the load is 829 grains, or near two ounces.

10 and 20 yard patterns have to be seen to be believed, the factory full choke tube oddly enough patterned the tightest over the Improved Cylinder and Modified tubes, our friend Digital Dan may post up some pics later.

I wanted to build a max payload shot shell on the 2-3/4 inch hull using hard shot for in and around the house for barriers etc, plus, looks like this load would be fine hunting deer or pig, or turning a large wild hog or bear in a defensive situation, after seeing what the shot charge did to the ground behind the boxes, I have NO doubt of it's effectiveness for the tasks at hand.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Gunner, you talkin' about this stuff?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Stuffed into these shells?

Nice group for a rifle at 300 yds!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This would work I reckon. You got big gophers around your place?

Ah Ha! That looks suspiciously like a sniper rifle disguised as a Rem 870

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Yes Sir Dan, what a blast, those blue whistlers stack very neatly in 4 rows of three pellets each, first target at 10 yards, second at 20 yards, still cant get over how tight they flew, and reminds me of the old saying, you DO have to aim a shotgun too, that setup would cause an easy miss, I have to believe 11 of those stuffed in the old 870 would make fine utility/defense/hunting loads for in and around the house and woods.

Thanks for posting the pics Sir. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are quite welcome. Chokes and buckshot have a curious relationship, no? I have one gun that shoots patterns like that with a modified and another than does it with a FC. Put a different choke on the barrel or gun and they scatter all over the place.

On the matter of aim versus point, one of the things intrinsic to scatterguns, if success is the objective, is FIT. If they fit you don't have to aim. Fit is measured by how they mount in hasty moments. Put them to your shoulder and if the bead rests in the receiver valley (?) you're golden. If not then you need to aim. I have no scatterguns that don't fit. Easy solution is adjustments to LOP 9 out of 10 times.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, strange indeed, I fully expected the I/C tube to shoot these fatties the best, shot gunning must be like rifling, check everything then check again, Thanks for the aim point/lesson too.

I know nothing about shotguns and or fit, do know when I quickly shoulder this 870, Im starring straight down the top of the rib burning a hole in the back of that little fiber green bead, with no head movement necessary, up/down, front/back or side to side, guess that means it fits me?

Keep running the payload numbers over in my head, don't think 828 grains of hard 000 buckshot is going to buff out ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot about a hundred pounds of 00 buck made with a Lee 00 buck mold.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.