Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I decided that I finally needed to invest in a good knife sharpener and from what I have read the Wicked Edge is a good one. I was going to order the Wicked Edge Go direct for $250 but got to looking around at their listed dealers to see if the price was lower and found the WE100 for $186 so went ahead and ordered that one since it was $349 direct. Hell of a deal! Hopefully I want slice my fingers off!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It’s what I use for my knives prior to shipping out to customers. It’s a fantastic sharpener! The first go round I bought the $250 model and it was fine. I then purchased the $1200 professional model due to the volume of knives I have to sharpen and the ease of changing angles....I didn’t pay $1200 for it tho...got it at dealer price.

My strong suggestion is to look at the YouTube videos on sharpening techniques before trying it yourself.

Hints:

1) expect a break in period on the diamond sharpeners. I would be surprised if you get hair popping edges straight out of the box. Don’t get discouraged. It took, oh....20 attempts on new diamond sharpeners before things got “right”.

2) the motion to sharpen is important. I find I get the best edges if I have a sort of pushing up motion as I go down the edge of the blade.

3) be careful not to carry the sharpening motion past the blade tip...you’ll round off the pointed tip! When my pass down the blade gets to the tip, I consciously, but ever so slightly, push “up”, not “over” past the tip....keeps the tip pointed.

4) depending on your blade geometry and technique, the rearmost part of the blade sometimes won’t be as sharp as the rest of the cutting edge. Simple fix: loosen the blade holder and raise the rear edge of the blade up, in relation to the rest of the cutting edge....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks!

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I didn’t realize how dull my other knives were until I got the one from you!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
I didn’t realize how dull my other knives were until I got the one from you!

Ha! Now you know the secret.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use the Ken Onion knife sharpener. It's a multi belt system and multi angle. Sharpens from back to front perfectly.
It makes knives wickedly sharp. They're that sharp my eyes bled just looking at them crazy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The little belt sander? Be careful not to burn the edge of the blade...you can roast a blade if not careful.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
yeah the ken onion knife sharpener works very well but I wuouldn't use it with a good custom knife....best advise is never let ur edge dull..keep it touched up

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
It arrived today

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have sharpened all the knives in the house and I understand where the name came from! Only cut myself once with a Cold Steel Master Hunter, the last knife I sharpened! Damn sure a “Wicked Edge”!

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
All sold now, go t mine yesterday very nive unit

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That’s awesome. I have always wanted to splurge on one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using the Work Sharp on all my kitchen knives. Take the bur off with a Strop Man leather strop, touch up with a ceramic stick.

My knives I actually care about I just send them to Josh at:

https://www.razoredgeknives.com/pricing/sharpeningmod-prices/

For the quality of work, turn around time and price? I have a hard time splurging on Wicked Edge!

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
If they offer any more at $186 it is a hell of a deal. I have sharpened every knife in the house and a couple from friends. I think it has already paid for itself, especially if I had to send them off to be sharpened. I don’t really think of it as splurging considering it is something that will actually be used and it works as advertised. I was leery of spending $250 plus on a knife sharpener but after buying this one I do believe it to be worth the cost

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heard that sharpener works well.

Staying with my new-fangled continuous diamond sharpeners and traditional and diamond spray stropping compounds.

American made Strop Bros. strops.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wicked Edge has the best design, the best results and the best customer service in the business...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
How are you guys liking the WE100s? I’m thinking about ordering a new sharpener but a little confused on which model. Most people on WE forum suggest buying the WE130 but the cost is very high. Hoping to hear your thoughts on the 100 or go models. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ejo
How are you guys liking the WE100s? I’m thinking about ordering a new sharpener but a little confused on which model. Most people on WE forum suggest buying the WE130 but the cost is very high. Hoping to hear your thoughts on the 100 or go models. Thanks

My first WE was a 100 in 2014. Used the hell out of it for years and it worked great. Truly a game changer.

Since, I was afforded a deal to upgrade that unit with the "130UP" package, and, have purchased a Gen 3 Pro.

The main difference back to the original is the micro angle adjustment, which in my opinion is not worth much, ... and the new jaw clamps...which are worth every penny!!!

IMO the 130 or Gen 3 is worth it as the "ultimate" IF you do lots of thin flat ground blades...but the 100 or GO is still heads and shoulders above the rest for mostly factory and run-of-the-mill customs/semicustoms...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Journeyman, very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.