Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There have been multiple threads on the years I've been a member here re "serious hunters."

Seems everyone has their own idea of who meets that moniker, some of which are so far from my own that I can't even process them with my narrow engineering brain!

My best friend and business partner of nearing 3 decades is a serious hunter. He was born in London to a WWII hero and followed his Dad into the Services, after completing an HNC in Engineering, but prior to his University degree. He early in his hunting life decided that the wild sheep of the world were his love and has concentrated on them since before we met. He is a Desert Bighorn shy of his second North American Grand Slam and has his Ovis World Slam. Along the way he collected 5 of the goats to complete a Capra World Slam, and out of the blue, at age 62 told me last year he wanted to get 7 more and thus earn the Capra, and then be one of less than 200 to complete a Triple Slam this century.

We are headed overseas in just under a month to start that last leg, and I wanted a special set of knives to give him to mark the occasion. We went through freaking drawers worth at my homes, perused countless pics online...then, ONE caught his eye. It was a Menefee boning knife pictured under a Dexter Russell fillet. I got hold of Rick and gave him some dimensions and tweaks we'd like, and also a loose design for a matching semi skinner. Rick took it all in stride with never a hesitation, just "yep, I can make that happen." And he did...

Thank you, Rick. You're an artist.

Attached Images
FullSizeRender copy.JPEG (38.88 KB, 1052 downloads)
RMK Ricasso copy.jpg (27.09 KB, 1024 downloads)
RMK Tang copy.jpg (18.01 KB, 981 downloads)
RMK_Sheaths copy.jpg (28.45 KB, 916 downloads)

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow man, very nice..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are top notch.

Rick definitely makes one of a kind knives.

Good luck to your buddy on his sheep hunting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Beauties!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very very nice! Kinda curious about the wooden handled knives in the tapered tang picture.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Very very nice! Kinda curious about the wooden handled knives in the tapered tang picture.

Looks like the old shipyard micarta

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think you're right... micarta.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Journeyman
There have been multiple threads on the years I've been a member here re "serious hunters."

Seems everyone has their own idea of who meets that moniker, some of which are so far from my own that I can't even process them with my narrow engineering brain!

My best friend and business partner of nearing 3 decades is a serious hunter. He was born in London to a WWII hero and followed his Dad into the Services, after completing an HNC in Engineering, but prior to his University degree. He early in his hunting life decided that the wild sheep of the world were his love and has concentrated on them since before we met. He is a Desert Bighorn shy of his second North American Grand Slam and has his Ovis World Slam. Along the way he collected 5 of the goats to complete a Capra World Slam, and out of the blue, at age 62 told me last year he wanted to get 7 more and thus earn the Capra, and then be one of less than 200 to complete a Triple Slam this century.

We are headed overseas in just under a month to start that last leg, and I wanted a special set of knives to give him to mark the occasion. We went through freaking drawers worth at my homes, perused countless pics online...then, ONE caught his eye. It was a Menefee boning knife pictured under a Dexter Russell fillet. I got hold of Rick and gave him some dimensions and tweaks we'd like, and also a loose design for a matching semi skinner. Rick took it all in stride with never a hesitation, just "yep, I can make that happen." And he did...

Thank you, Rick. You're an artist.

What are those 2 light colored buts? Must be the 2 singles.. thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Singles are same knives I believe just not paired. I remember seeing them on his bench and talking about the tapering.

Last edited by mike_e_miller; 09/25/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice set. Good luck on the hunts.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we were all as good at our crafts as Rick is at his, we’d be some world class mofo’s...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice. Really liking his shipyard micarta.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM

I’d like to get a better look at it, looks like something I’d like

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The semi skinner is replacing my Bose skinner. The dumpling I always considered the best knife I made. I’ve never shortened it at his request we tried it. I believe it’s a better knife if you take fish out of the kill pile.

Shipyard is a true Westinghouse micarta. Was found in shipping crates. Been in wood shipping containers since the early 50’s. It pricey but worth every cent. Once it’s gone it’s gone

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Arizona Custom Knives has a Bose droppoint with shipyard. It’s marked incorrectly. Very good deal if someone is ready to jump. I don’t own the knife

Last edited by rickmenefee; 09/25/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by SLM

I’d like to get a better look at it, looks like something I’d like

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

2 from Mike Miller.

May be from the same batch of micarta.

I like it.

Dave

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thinking I need to sale 1 or 2 and get in line for a dumpling with shipyard.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
Thinking I need to sale 1 or 2 and get in line for a dumpling with shipyard.

Ya I think there’s a couple of us.. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I couldn’t handle it so I texted rick, another example of shipyard micarta.. cool stuff

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had never seen the shipyard micarta before now. That is some very nice material, really like it. Did you manage to snag that folder? If so, congrats that's a beauty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.