Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
The mini 14 thread reminded me of this situation ,
You think it has been patented yet ?
Believe it or not , saw a 98 welded up once . 22-250 , bull barrel from he'll, barrel welded to the reciever , bffscope bases welded to the receiver. We were zeroing for deer season and this guy shows up with this thing .
I said , who the he'll built that ?
Was the biggest barrel in girth and length I have ever seen . Fellow couldn't get two bullets to hit close together to save his azz .
I was concerned about the strength of the receiver being compromised from the heat of the massive welds .
Said something about it but seemed there was more booze than sense in the group , so I left .
Next day the guy who owned the property showed up and tells me the fellow with the 98 had asked him to shoot his 110 in 223 and he told him to go ahead .
Didn't watch him and he heard the guy say the bullet didn't hit the target and the bolt wouldn't open .
The land owner ,G , got pissed and ran him off . So G ask me what I thought , bolt wouldn't budge so I told him to take it to a local Smith.
When he got a call I rode with him to pick it up .
A 110 must be a strong action, Smith said a 30 carbine had been fired in it and some how the bullet swaged down or fragmented and went out the barrel .
He handed G a baggie with a fragmented carbine case in it and I said , that gun is ruined ,
Smith smiled and said he thought the same .
But bore scoped the barrel while he had it off , receiver and bolt checked out , reassembled and test fired it a couple times , functioned fine .
I thought that was Fugging amazing, guess G probably still has it. Somewheres I still have the fragmented case , thought it would make a good conversation piece.
Kenneth

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in a Walmart once and overheard a guy buying ammunition at the gun counter. He was asking the woman behind the counter about it.

Then he turns to me and says “I’ve got a 375 H&H. Will this fire in it?” And held up a box of 375 Winchester.

I said “Probably. Once.”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
375 winchester ammo at walmart?

Lucky bastid

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a "non-gun guy" on my crew inherit a contender rifle in .22 hornet. Couldn't figure out why the .22lr he bought for it were disappearing into the chamber. Took 10 minutes to get him to understand just be side it said .22 on the barrel didn't mean it was "A" .22.

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/24/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Had a "non-gun guy" on my crew inherit a contender rifle in .22 hornet. Couldn't figure out why the .22lr he bought for it were disappearing into the chamber. Took 10 minutes to get him to understand just be side it said .22 on the barrel didn't mean it was "A" .22.

anderson cooper worked for you? 😃

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
375 winchester ammo at walmart?

Lucky bastid

It was 30 years ago. Walmarts here don’t even sell ammo any more, much less guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a post earlier,
Co-worker trying to understand why the 45acp he was firing in his Judge
fell into the cylinder.

He had to point it toward Heaven, then the target to get them to fire.
They still shifted forward, poked them out with a pencil.

Still not sure if he understands the difference between acp and Colt.

This is a guy with 40+ years of hunting and shooting.
Rifles and shotguns, factory loads.
Never got into the minutiae, he is certain the manual said 45acp.

Checked his ammo.

"The box says JHP. Is that ok?"

Ugh!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
On the way home G said he remembered there was some Remington 30 carbine on the bench with the 223 , but never dawned on him the fellow with the 98 would not know or ask what ammo .
Glad I left , I like beer and a drink as much as anybody , but a group of people drinking heavy while handling firearms ain't for me .
Anything from stupidity to short fuses can happen , Kenneth

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Had a post earlier,
Co-worker trying to understand why the 45acp he was firing in his Judge
fell into the cylinder.

He had to point it toward Heaven, then the target to get them to fire.
They still shifted forward, poked them out with a pencil.

Still not sure if he understands the difference between acp and Colt.

This is a guy with 40+ years of hunting and shooting.
Rifles and shotguns, factory loads.
Never got into the minutiae, he is certain the manual said 45acp.

Checked his ammo.

"The box says JHP. Is that ok?"

Ugh!
was he a ‘gunwriter’ ?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
On the way home G said he remembered there was some Remington 30 carbine on the bench with the 223 , but never dawned on him the fellow with the 98 would not know or ask what ammo .
Glad I left , I like beer and a drink as much as anybody , but a group of people drinking heavy while handling firearms ain't for me .

This Reminds me of a time a couple guys were sighting in muzzeloaders. Even worse with Beer is mixed with smokepoles. I left and heard later a guy ended up shooting his muzzeloader with the ramrod still in it. Glad I missed that!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A do it yourself plumber I knew was getting older and his eyes were fading. He had Savage 99 and Winchester 54 that he arc welded scope bases to. And he cant weld.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by clwg97
Originally Posted by Kenneth66

This Reminds me of a time a couple guys were sighting in muzzeloaders. Even worse with Beer is mixed with smokepoles. I left and heard later a guy ended up shooting his muzzeloader with the ramrod still in it. Glad I missed that!

Actually experienced that , no booze either .
Shortly after we married I introduced my stepson to muzzle loading . He was in his late twenties so I got him familiar with loading procedure and let him shoot load and shoot a few rds , then a local gun shop called and said my order was in .
So I told him I would be right back , he was in the military so I felt ok about leaving him for a few minutes , gun shop was three miles away .
As I pulled back into the driveway he was setting at the bench looking perplexed , so I asked what's up ?
He said he couldn't figure out what he had done with the ramrod .
So after looking around the bench and vehicles , I asked if he went in the house for anything . Said yes but only to the kitchen , so I went in to see if he had laid it down , possibly absent mindedly carried it in and laid it down .
Nothing , so I walked back to the bench and while pondering , I spotted what had happened .
I laughed and said , I SEE where it went , he said were ? I said you shot it out the barrel ! He got red faced and said I did not !
I laughed and said oh yes you did , look at the bulge in your barrel .
He could have been bought for a penny , then cussed cause he had just bought the gun and opening day was in two days . Then asked well were is the rod ? I laughed and said probally in pieces down range . Glad you didn't get hurt .
We looked and found a short piece with the brass end on it , but nothing else .
I loaned him mine and went and snagged me a optima , good excuse to upgrade from the wolf .
Those wolf's are some good shooters for an economy gun .
Didn't see any real gain , just a new toy .
Kenneth

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a as best as I can remember a 65-67 impala for sale in a used car lot in about 1977 or 8. The intake manifold and the valve covers were welded on.

I guess if the guy who did it got a good bead all away around you wouldn't have to worry about a vacuum leak or leaky valve covers ever again Ha Ha

Last edited by 1911a1; 09/24/20.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I saw a as best as I can remember a 65-67 impala for sale in a used car lot in about 1977 or 8. The intake manifold and the valve covers were welded on.

I guess if the guy who did it got a good bead all away around you wouldn't have to worry about a vacuum leak or leaky valve covers ever again Ha Ha

I had a '68 Chevelle back in the day, never could get the valve cover gaskets to quit leaking................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by 1911a1

I had a '68 Chevelle back in the day, never could get the valve cover gaskets to quit leaking................

I'm a Chevy guy, but small block Chevys sure are prone to valve cover leaks. I wonder what is the best size welding rod to use on a Chevy steel valve cover?

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P. O. Shot a 45 ACP in a 30-06.

Squirted out. Don’t know if it was AI or not

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I was given some brass about 12 years ago. A couple boxes of 300 Win Mag and a box of 7mm Mag. The 7mm mag brass looked kinda off having a short neck. My reloading neurons kicked in and I realized that the Side of the neck was shorter than the diameter of the case mouth. Set the 300 and 7 mm side beside and realized that the 7mm had been shot through the 300.

The guy who gave the brass denied it having happened but 20 cases don’t lie. If they even hit the target those 20 rounds had to look like a shotgun pattern.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Worked in a Woolco sporting goods department about 45 years ago. We sold guns, including Marlin 336s. Working the counter one night when this customer came in with a rifle he'd bought a couple of days earlier, pissed to the max. Seems one of my fellow sales clerks had sold him a .35 Remington and a box of .30-30s and neither of them realized that just because it was a 336 doesn't mean it's a .30-30. Sure enough, one round fed, fired and as you might imagine, split the case and released some gasses out of the receiver. We refunded the guy's money.

My boss, who ran the department and was somewhat gun savvy, looked at the rifle. decided it wasn't harmed in any way, ran a patch down the barrel and put it back on the shelf. We also did a bit of remedial education with my fellow sales clerk, who was amazed to find that 336s came in more than one chambering.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Apparently a .30-06 won’t penetrate the chest of a black bear🙄
You need a .300rum
God some people.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Where can I get one? I have cash!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.