Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
5 or 6 years ago I sold my 336 35rem before even getting to hunt with it. Decided levers were not for me. I found myself wanting one again. I’m not sure why but older pre safety Marlins especially 35s are non existent around here. I stumbled onto this one in a local shop which is almost always over priced. And I’m sure I overpaid. To the point that I don’t even want to mention it. But the gun is 99% condition and it was sold to me as pictured. The Williams mount and the old What appears to be a tarnished finish or maybe that’s how it was made.... leupold 2-7. Reminds me of the old greenish red fields

I usually dislike scopes on a lever gun but this isn’t too bad. I’m also not a fan of inlays but again. I can deal with this one.

Really looking forward to hunting with it in a couple of months.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1970ish Marlin 35 Rem. I killed several deer with it way back when, and then my son used it as his first deer rifle. I used it with a peep, as that's what I prefer on lever rifles. My son wanted it scoped, so now it wears 2X7, but hasn't been used to hunt with in many years.

I just sold a 1990 Marlin 336 in 35, that I'd bought. It had a Williams peep, and a Burris 2 3/4 long eye relief, sitting forward. Thought about keeping it, but didn't need 2 of them. The 35 Remington is a deer killer supreme as far as I'm concerned, if you're hunting in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'll be hunting with a 1955 made 35 marlin SC on the pretty days this season. It wears a Williams peep and a 1/16 white dot front sight. On the good days I can put a 3 shot group into 1.5 " at a hundred. It's my thicket gun where shots tend to be less than 50 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had the good fortune to pick up three 336's in the past year, all in .35 Remington, and all pre 1983, hence no crossbolt safety. I have a 1960 vintage, a 1972, and a 1980. They are not common here, yet not uncommon. either. These rifles are what I call the "Catskill Rifle Syndrome".

Years ago and still today, you can only use a slug gun or muzzloader in New Jersey. So guys wanted to hunt the Catskills in New York with their friends who had a camp up there go and buy a rifle. They hunt the Catskills a year or 2, then either the trip is too long, or the license is too expensive, or whatever and the rifle sits in a closet for years till either the guy sells it, or he passes and the family wants to get rid of it. My gun shop tells these people that they have very little value here because you can't hunt with a rifle in New Jersey and the people tend to say they don't care, they just want them gone. I won't say what I paid for them, but needless to say I literally stole them, yet everyone was happy.

This one is the 1972. It probably sat in a closet unused outside of it's first few years, and does have a few handling marks from being carried around, but despite that is in excellent condition with very few rounds through it and has some real nice fiddleback in the stock.

Sight hood was missing when I got it, but bullseye was intact. I put sling swivels on it, and used a set of old school Weaver pivot rings and base so the scope swings over and you can use the irons and a new Bushnell Banner 2X7 that I had in the gun cabinet. I cleaned it up thoroughly, used JB Bore Paste to bring the barrel down to clean bare steel, then dyna bore coated the bore. The gun came out pretty nice, I was pleased.

I have not fired it, nor will I be firing it.

If anyone remembers Qtip from this site who passed on over 6 years ago, I am giving this rifle to Qtips (what he called his special nephew) who is actually his first cousins son. Andy always helped Qtip out and added some years to his hunting life by driving him right to his stand on the 4 wheeler after the COPD was so bad that Qtip had a hard time breathing. I will present it to him late next week when I go up to Hartwick NY and visit Qtips cousin Ronnie for a few days. I have a full box of ammo for him too because around here any ammo is pretty scarce, and .35 Remington is about impossible to find.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice gun and a great gesture.

I'm sure it'll be appreciated..

DF

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.