Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He does a bit of looking here and there. He just found an 06 that was in decent condition. Would’ve been a heckuva donor rifle for the .358 barrel I’ve got laying in wait.

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Joe
DF, remember the .358 takes to cast bullets like a duck to water and they are very deadly.

Ya got any pet combos, suggestions?

I’ve been thinking about that. Infinite variables. almost too many possibilities. Need somewhere to start.

DF

As a matter of fact I have. My 12" twist BLR prefers 40.5 grs. of H-4895 with the RCBS 35-200 FN and also a 225 gr. mold I had Mountain Molds make for me. My model 70 likes the same bullets pushed with 40.5 grs. IMR-4895. My M70 loves 25 grains of SR-4759 and 23 grains of 2400 is not too shabby. Don't forget the 158 grain revolver bullet with 10 to 11 grains of Unique. Just make sure you have at least 50 of those when you go to the range, yes they are much fun! Looks like my recently acquired BLR T/D takes either 24 grains of SR-4756 or 22 grains of 2400 with the RCBS bullet. Have fun!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Joe.

I printed your post for future reference.

Just glassed the "new" .358 Win. Now, the barrel is properly positioned down in the barrel channel and centered. Not the first less than stellar glass job I've re-done.

I've reloaded since the '60's. The .358 Win with all it's options presents new territory for me.

I have a Simmons Pro Hunter scope, made in the Philippines, lying around the shop. Glass is good. I may mount it to use for pistol bullets, etc., keep the Elite 4200 sighted for serious hunting loads, just swap them out as needed. Also have an older gloss finish Leupold 1.5-5x20 that may have some use in this scenario. I have enough low Weavers to go around. Haven't bought anything yet.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Joe, studying your loads info. I see you use H-4895 in one load, IMR-4895 in another. How much difference do you see?

How clean does 2400 burn in these loads? Some of my previous revolver loads with 2400 left granules of unburned powder.

I have some 4759, understand it's been discontinued. I may try it, but my luck it would be the best load with no replacement available.

I would think one would have to be very careful with Unique, not to double charge. I think I'll drop one charge, then seat the bullet, not do a gang at a time.

I have a bunch of 2400 and Unique, ended up with a stash after helping with the estate of a shooting friend. This should be a fun way to use them.

Thanks,

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
There is ongoing discussion about selling on the Classifieds. I made mention of good presentation, photos, etc. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...on-the-campfire-classifieds#Post15243370

As an example. The Firefly 4200 featured earlier on this thread was given to my son to sell on eBay. I think he did a good job with presentation and photos. I'm including a link on how he prepped this product to sell on line. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174445817484

Now, I think he started out asking more than I'd pay for that scope, but who knows. Easier to come down than go up. That's how you feel out the market.
There are no similar Firefly 4200's on eBay at this time, we checked. So, we'll see. "Or best offer" can be a handy exit strategy for an overly high price.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I got the stock glassed and freefloated...

I have a Siimmons 4-12x40 Pro Hunter in the shop. Glass is perfect, Philippine, not Chicom. This is the ideal use for those Chicom Quad Lock Wearvers. A $50 scope mounted in $10 rings, well actually $10.99, my price at Brownells...

These rings are medium, not low. Weaver calls them med, (.164" clearance, Sure Grip and original Weavers). The medium Quad Lock is .160".. True low Weavers (available only in the origials) are .090".

The bolt handle will drag a bit on the Pro Hunter, not so much on the 4200. I'm not worried about the scope and the rifle bolt is already marked. So, let the jagged end drag....

I cleaned fouling where JES had obvioiusly fired it a few time. The bore really looks good, brushes and patches pass really smoothly and evenly... Thru the Hawkeye, it's well done. Maybe not as slick as a Brux or a Krieger, but pretty close, way better than the typical factory barrel. I can see why they shoot well.

Well, it's drizzling and windy today, although not blowing that hard. Outer bands from Beta as we clean up from Laura. So, no shooting.. But, it's good shop time. They say Beta will turn NE in TX and head for us, be here Wed. The weekend should be OK. May get to shoot if not too wet.

DF

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Joe, studying your loads info. I see you use H-4895 in one load, IMR-4895 in another. How much difference do you see?

How clean does 2400 burn in these loads? Some of my previous revolver loads with 2400 left granules of unburned powder.

I have some 4759, understand it's been discontinued. I may try it, but my luck it would be the best load with no replacement available.

I would think one would have to be very careful with Unique, not to double charge. I think I'll drop one charge, then seat the bullet, not do a gang at a time.

I have a bunch of 2400 and Unique, ended up with a stash after helping with the estate of a shooting friend. This should be a fun way to use them.

Thanks,

DF

IMR-4895 is slower and gave 1971 fps, while H-4895 produced 2060 fps. I had developed the load back in 1979 for a Savage 99 using Hodgdon but, I ran out and had some IMR which I utilized. My 23 grain load of 2400 is fairly clean burning but, not as clean as SR-4759 or Unique. The 4895 loads will leave a few powder zombies in the barrel but, accuracy isn't impaired. Yes do be careful when using Unique or any fast burning powder where a double charge could occur. You will have to work out what works best for you. When I'm loading 25-50 at a time, I place each case in a primer up attitude so I know any case with mouth up is powdered and then I look into them with a strong light. Be safe and have fun!

"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Joe.

Good info.

I am a longstanding, careful reloader with years of experience.

But, I do admit mess ups, posted this one as a testimony of how things can get messed up, how crazy things can happen even to the most experienced of us..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9781434/1

Somehow it lands on page two. You'll have to scroll back to where it starts.

DF

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes, no one is mistake proof nor can we double check everything enough!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice job, especially the way you touched up the checkering. Are you planning to "perforate some porkers," as GW put it?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Nice job, especially the way you touched up the checkering. Are you planning to "perforate some porkers," as GW put it?

Yep, that's the plan. WT's, too.

For long range, I have the 26 Nosler, now loaded with the new 156 EOL Berger over Vv n-570. The .358 Win should be about perfect for food plots, tree stands, etc. out to 200 yds. or so.

If it'll ever quit storming and raining, may even get to shoot it. Poured 3" out of the rain gauge this AM, still raining. Beta following Laura. Not as bad, but pretty wet.

I've loaded a bunch of .358 Win options, including pistol bullets. I DBC's the barrel after some TLC with JB's bore paste. I have three different scopes already mounted, so I can swap them out depending on type of load, won't have to be re-sighting all the time. Fast pistol bullets should be deadly on 'yotes and such. The .358 is a neat round, a new experience for me, keeping an old Loony, young.... grin

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah, I've been seeing your weather up there. I went to college in Pensacola and after all these years still recognized a few of the places I saw on the news. Lord, what a soggy mess. But hey, you're from Louisiana: wet ain't anything new to you. crazy Enjoy that rifle; I hope you get to blood it soon.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yeah, I've been seeing your weather up there. I went to college in Pensacola and after all these years still recognized a few of the places I saw on the news. Lord, what a soggy mess. But hey, you're from Louisiana: wet ain't anything new to you. crazy Enjoy that rifle; I hope you get to blood it soon.

Yeah, we used to wet.

But, this is epic.

Like everything, it too shall pass...

DF

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
DF thanks for the interesting and informative thread.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would you believe, that big ole ugly Firefly scope sold for $465 plus $9.99 shipping.... That's way more than I would have paid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174445817484 The eBay seller (my son) did an excellent job with presentation and marketing. It sold quickly to a "best offer" buyer. By overpricing he was able to get a feel for the market. Easier to come down.

An exercise in marketing, presentation and eBay selling. But, he's a full time pro.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Project slowly moving forward.

I got it back together after a light polish of the Tru-Oil gloss. I mounted a Vari X III 1.5-5x20, which should be a fun scope for plinking with pistol bullets at 2,700-2,800 fps...

I have the Bushnell mounted, using a Leupold scope cover so they won't know it's a Bushnell until it's too late... blush

Loaded a variety of loads, still working on that.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/24/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Polished the feed ramp, just 'cause. Can't hurt, feeding a hodge podge of bullet types.

And, free floating. With a good, stiff stock, don't need a big gap.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I found some more .243 W/W fired cases in the shop. They're now .358 Win. I split three, the rest went pretty easy with some muscle power and a Big Boss II press.

I tried Imperial Die Wax, but couldn't tell any difference from using Horn lube. Both worked about the same.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
DF, how's the clearance on the ocular? I am considering something like this

That is an amazing looking rifle, makes we want to swap out the McMillan on my Pre-64 for a piece of good walnut

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It looks great. Nice job on the checkering.

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.