Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
I see the Satterlee technique referenced in a few spots, but am not familiar with it. Is there a reference outlining the method somewhere? I did a search without success. thanks

Scott Saterlee is a noted Precision Rifle Series shooter and a 26 year Special Forces veteran. A Google search will bring up lots of information on him and his techniques.
The 6.5 Guys YouTube channel featured him on the episode below regarding a 10 round load development process.
There is also a podcast he did later that had a lot more detail on the process he uses now which is different than the 10 round one here: Scott Saterlee Load Development

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I'll start with seating bullets kissing the lands on back to a full jump. .

How much is a "full jump"? And what interval do you use? thanks

I start at .100” and work my way into .010” that may not seem like a huge jump to some, but it’s considerable in my experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I see the Satterlee technique referenced in a few spots, but am not familiar with it. Is there a reference outlining the method somewhere? I did a search without success. thanks

Scott Saterlee is a noted Precision Rifle Series shooter and a 26 year Special Forces veteran. A Google search will bring up lots of information on him and his techniques.
The 6.5 Guys YouTube channel featured him on the episode below regarding a 10 round load development process.
There is also a podcast he did later that had a lot more detail on the process he uses now which is different than the 10 round one here: Scott Saterlee Load Development

Thank you, Steve....I'll check it out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll start with seating bullets kissing the lands on back to a full jump. .

How much is a "full jump"? And what interval do you use? thanks

I start at .100” and work my way into .010” that may not seem like a huge jump to some, but it’s considerable in my experience.

Thank you! very helpful!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What I do:

Get you a good chrono.

Look for a powder that gives you the velocity you want at 90%+ fill, but not compressed (or not much).

Load a couple each at SAAMI length, starting at the midpoint charge and working up to the max.

Check velocity, looking for pressure signs, especially ejector marks.

Find pressure sign charge weight, then back off .5 grain.

Then I use this method:

https://bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

It has worked well for me.

P

This method! It's cut my use of components trying to find a load in half

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/24/20.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

Looked at my notes and best load for my 280 AI was where the velocity curve was flat. Going to try this on some of my load workups.

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/25/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 12 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.