Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone recommend a good field pant. Something that is tough and waterproof at least in the lower legs.

Last edited by OldHat; 09/25/20.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They don't offer a hunting-specific pant, but check Duluth Trading Co. for one of their Fire Hose options.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my underarmor field pants. Wax the bottoms.
Very comfortable, good pockets, good belt loops, not snaggy, breathable. Things I thing you should look for.
I just pitched a pair because I wore them through. I had a tons of miles on those.
Glad to switch to my backup set. Probably better options, but I like mine.
When I go into a hunt loaded with briers, I use some old school camo wrangler jeans that have vinyl-ish lower.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know of any waterproof pants but I hunt in Duluth Firehose pants, the new ones aren’t nearly as good as the original but still pretty good pants, and old Carhartt double front dungarees.

I wish the double front Carhartts were still available as mine are nearly faded to white. I don’t like the loose fit of most cargo and “hunting” pants and I don’t feel the need for camouflage pants.

The best thing about the Duluth’s to me are the super deep pockets, no worries about your pocketknife slipping out if you sit down at an odd angle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheKid
I wish the double front Carhartts were still available as mine are nearly faded to white. I don’t like the loose fit of most cargo and “hunting” pants and I don’t feel the need for camouflage pants.

These?:

Double front

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought a pair of pants from Duluth and they pilled something horrible. Not the fire house, but the customer service just ignored me completely. I sent pictures and everything. So I swore I would never buy from them again. So they are not an option.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
L.L. Bean is a good place to look.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I love Carhartt double front, but when they get wet they are bad news. Great pants though for work and dry weather.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I think LL Bean are liberals nuts aren't they?

EDIT: It was shown later in this thread that they have shown support for Trump. Great news!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have some of the older Duluth fire hose pants and they have worked fine. I cannot bring myself to purchase more because I am trying to avoid China purchases. Now I know that is going to present a real problem since most clothing is now made in China.

I think I read the Carhartt double front jeans were still US made.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take a look at 511 tactical.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Filson Oil Finish Tin Canvas looks nice but pricey!
https://www.filson.com/men/pants/hunting-pants/oil-finish-double-tin-pants.html

I have a Filson Oil Finish billed hat and it's great.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by TheKid

These?:

Double front

Yes that’s them. Strange that every store that sells Carhartt that I’ve asked at told me they were discontinued. FYI a quick look shows that Carhartt has them on sale cheaper than the link to cabelas. They’re still USA made too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OldHat

Not that I recall. Here's an article from a couple of years ago.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/01/09/llbean/jU1bOW73QqRhmYAN5pSj4N/story.html

Excerpt from the article:

L.L. Bean pleads: Don’t boycott us over Trump donation

L.L. Bean doesn’t sell flak jackets, but the Maine-based purveyor of just about every other kind of outdoor gear might need a few after finding itself caught in the middle of a political skirmish over its namesake heiress and her support of President-elect Donald Trump.

Some customers vowed to boycott the family-owned company after learning last week that Linda Bean, the granddaughter and heir of company founder Leon Leonwood Bean and a longtime Republican activist, bankrolled a political action committee in her efforts to support Trump.

That led L.L. Bean’s board chairman, Shawn Gorman, a great-grandson of L.L. Bean, to do something unusual for the company: address a political controversy head-on.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If you're looking primarily for lower leg waterproofing and protection, a good set of gaiters might be cheaper and more versatile than pants.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone recommend a good field pant. Something that is tough and waterproof at least in the lower legs.

I took a cotton military field jacket and turned it into a decent rain jacket. It's not the latest in teflon polymer technology, but does breath.
I plan to make rain overpants.
Snow Seal. Its a mix of bees wax and forgot what else. It goes on easy with a flexible wide putty knife. I lay on the thinnest amount possible and test. The more you add, the less it will breath, but increase water repellency. The fabric should not be heavy, but the weave must be dense.

Another option is a set of removable brush guards.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use wrangler stuff. Do not know if they are still made but wrangler had some jeans that have a second layer on front and wrapped around the calves. That part was ripstop nylon. They called them a field or upland pant IFIRC. Best pants for going through rough and damp brush.

They also had riggs wear double front pants.These had a little less cotton although a little lighter and more comfortable. Hunted elk in them for years.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It washes out, but water seal sheds water, it's stiff.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

They probably support BLM on top of being liberal asshats

Avoid gatorade too

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I took a cotton military field jacket and turned it into a decent rain jacket. It's not the latest in teflon polymer technology, but does breath.
I plan to make rain overpants.
Snow Seal. Its a mix of bees wax and forgot what else. It goes on easy with a flexible wide putty knife. I lay on the thinnest amount possible and test. The more you add, the less it will breath, but increase water repellency. The fabric should not be heavy, but the weave must be dense.

Another option is a set of removable brush guards.

I used a military field jacket just for trips to the junk yard. Carry all you basic tools, fill the pickets up with knobs, controls, switches, relays, lamps and bulbs. Cut a slit on the inside liner for things like power window motors, blower motors, washer pumps.

The Loot Suit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.