Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
There is a befuddling amount of diet information "out there." It is nigh impossible to find diet information that doesn't have a large body of conflicting information. I have come to believe that our bodies are all substantially different in the way they process intake. So much so that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. OP, if this seems to be working for you, roll with it. Ride it out for a while then consult with your doctor. Your doctor will likely want to run some labs on you to see how things are going.

Best wishes brother.

I agree. I lost about 25lbs earlier in the year eating pretty close to keto or call it very low carb (meat, fish, eggs, fat and green vegetables all I wanted) and practicing "intermittent fasting" which for me was a fancy way of saying hold off on breakfast until noon and don't eat after 8 pm. Shed weight crazy fast which really wasn't my goal.....I was not in a hurry but that is how it went.

The theory with the "intermittent fasting" as I understand it is that every time you eat your body has an insulin response. When insulin is present, the body is signaled to store fat. When its low, it is signaled to use its fat for energy.....ie "burn it". If you eat all the time, your insulin is always high so you never lose fat. With this plan your insulin settles down after supper, stays low all night and until noon the next day. Best part is you are asleep for 8 of the 16 hours you don't eat. People tell me I lost the weight because I cut calories but I am not sure. I ate heartily at lunch and supper and would not be surprised if I made up for my typical oatmeal breakfast calorie wise. That is what made it easy for me.....I could enjoy my meals, count carbs but not calories, and not be restricted to tweety bird sized portions. Plus, the low carb diet does not raise insulin as much as a normal diet so you they work together.

In the last few months I have added back some "good carbs" like sweet potato and purple hull peas and I have a snack between lunch and supper if hungry......usually some almonds. My weight has remained stable where it is which is what I wanted. I try to stay somewhere under 100 grams of carbs a day.

But back to your point people are different. My best pal just plain does not like to eat like I do. His brother is the same way. They fill up on what I would consider an appetizer or a snack! laugh I doubt that they would ever get fat regardless of what macros they ate.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/25/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Carbs are just plain evil.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Books, and careers have been written on it...but basically...if it's white, spit it out.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Its been 10 days, how do you know your loosing weight slowly?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

You don't want to lose it too fast, just not healthy. My doc says one pound a week is optimal. Always weight yourself when you get up in the am and go by that number.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's hard to lose weight when you like to eat. I can loose weight by not eating when it's dark, but who has time for that for that nonsense.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking

Very true. Bitchhes make you hungry.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by killerv

You don't want to lose it too fast, just not healthy. My doc says one pound a week is optimal. Always weight yourself when you get up in the am and go by that number.

Great, but that wasnt the question....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking

Nothing wrong with carbs, some are just worse than others. I lost 95 lbs in a little less than a year in 2011 and 2012, and have kept it off. I did not restrict carbs! I ate whole foods that included fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, beans, legumes and beer. Threw in some exercise for good measure. YMMV

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One of the simplest ways to improve your health is via a FitBit.

They are cheap and massively beneficial.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've lost serious weight a few times, it get harder as I get older.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

5 pounds

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I lost 160 lbs 2 years ago and have kept it off more than a year. the best thing I can tell anyone is to get new information. Turn off the TV and get off the forums. Spend every moment available studying what it takes to have a healthy diet and what kind of exercise you need to do to get healthy. If you load up on new info ,it will cause you to make different choices. You can learn how to get healthy just like you learn how to do anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
I've lost 25lbs in the last year, I do alot of the 16hour fasting. My big meal is lunch, a lite dinner, and rarely breakfast. I grown found of humus and pretzel chips to snack on.

When I've picked up a little around the midsection, I'll start cleaning up my junk food intake and skip breakfast MWF, making sure lunch and dinner are clean meals that aren't overly carb-based. Think meat and vegetables, lots of salads, etc, with a bit of starch here and there. This creates a weekly calorie deficit I can live with, and the fat comes off. It's not always easy, but it is simple. If my stomach is grumbling too much on the MWF mornings, I might have half a 200cal protein bar mid-morning. I view calories and food intake as more of a weekly outlook. Having some light days and some normal days is fairly doable.

Now with even more aplomb
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Armednfree

5 pounds

1/2lb a day is slowly? That would be 182.5lbs in a year, thats extreme weight shedding speed.

Good for you however! If you cut the raisins and used oat/almond milk it would go even quicker.

The stevia is a good choice.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Ever since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some 17 years ago my doctors have told me I needed to eat breakfast. All my life, even as a kid, I never ate breakfast. All through my life I would be sluggish in the morning, in school it was my morning classes I had trouble with. I did eat breakfast in boot camp and I know it helped me then, but after I got out I stopped.

So I started eating breakfast 10 days ago. Refrigerator oatmeal seems good. 3/4 cup whole oats with a pinch of raisins, a spoon of stevia and some cinnamon and 1 cup of milk. I heat it up in the microwave before I eat it. The thing is I seem to be loosing weight slowly. No other change in my diet, just that. Someone told me it triggers an insulin response so I have more energy and am more alert.

I guess, I don't know.

all food stimulates an insulin response, problem is, a thing called the glycemic index. an arbitrary scale that says some food causes more problems ie. sugars. the scale needs to be put in the list of old wives tales.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
Losing the weight could be a sign of a reduction in chronic inflammation. If so, booya!

this is the secret to the whole thing. insulin resistance is chronic inflammation. the more the resistance the higher the glucose not absorbed. the term stage diabetes should be put in the old wives tales

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by wabigoon

dieting is hard. I know some folks, one person in particular, that has lost over a 1000 lbs. not at one time of course

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
eat a big breakfast -- another old wives tale. you don't need to eat a big breakfast

if low blood sugar was a problem, from short term fasting (the 8 hours you were a sleep) , half the world would be in a coma 1/3 of the 24 hour day.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.