Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kevinJ
No way I’d say let it go. They are just trying to fugg you( Family it seems). If they cashed your check then you have a agreement. Why sit back and let someone walk all over you like that. They are hoping you will do nothing. That’s why they are acting this way
I’d give them 3 choices

Refund my money
Continue the lease this year since you have already paid
Go to court to settle it

I’m guessing one of the first two seeing as if their mother signed a check and cashed it from you for a lease your gonna win

this

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No way I’d say let it go. They are just trying to fugg you( Family it seems). If they cashed your check then you have a agreement. Why sit back and let someone walk all over you like that. They are hoping you will do nothing. That’s why they are acting this way
I’d give them 3 choices

Refund my money
Go to court to settle it

I’m guessing one of the first two seeing as if their mother signed a check and cashed it from you for a lease your gonna win

this

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I’d give them 3 choices

Refund my money
Go to court to settle it

The offered to refund the money, but I don't want that I want the lease. A little too late to find another place for opening day in 2-weeks. I will take it to small claims court and let the Justice of the Peace, Rusk County Texas, Precint 3 decide. At least the "lady" will have to drive here from Houston to be in court. I'll get some satisfaction from that.

I would be planning an exit strategy on getting your stuff off the property and your money back in case things don't go your way. Unfortunately I've been through a similar situation and in my case I found that landowners rights in Texas most often overrule any type of lease agreement even with a contract. Im wishing you the best and hope this works out to your best interest. It seems that just about anytime the offspring of the landowner you have been dealing with get involved problems start. At least that is my experience.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was invited to a lease for free a couple of months ago, but I turned it down. Im sure the guys that are paying on the lease would find out sooner or later that I wasnt paying anything and I dont care for drama and never have. I did thank the guy who offered it to me though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update on this mess:

So Drama Daughter texted me after the phone calls inquiring how much I had "invested in the property". I presume she thought to add that amount to the lease fee and pay me that total back since she is so fair and honest. I never responded and have not heard another word since then. That's like 10-days ago. She never said she was going to refund and send a check, she only offered to which I refused. No one (Owner, agent, etc.) has ever said verbally or in writing "you're off the lease, get your stuff off, a refund is on its way to you now".

Facts are: I paid the owner just like I always have. The Owner deposited my check. I've never heard one word from the Owner, just some cranky woman I've never heard of or met that claims to be the Owners daughter. The Owner still has my money.

Archery deer season opens tomorrow and I'm going hunting. I can't hunt from 10/15 thru Thanksgiving becuase of work. So I'm going to do my darndest to take a couple deer with the bow before then just in case and before the Owner actually does something.

I'll take most of my gear out on the afternoon of 10/14, leaving just the feeder. I'll just use a climbing stand anytime I get out after that. If I loose anything it'll be a 15-year old rusted up feeder.

Crazy woman's name is Deborah Gilcrhist. Soon there will be notes in every truckstop and restroom with "For a good time call Deborah xxx-xxx-xxxx".

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was in a similar situation. I had no real legal grounds in my case to fight it. In my case there was a lot of family bs going on. Seems like the temperature of that was dictating how I was dealt with. Might be something similar going on in your case. I was not officially booted until all that boiled over. In your case unless you are officially notified that the contract is null and void I would just continue with business as usual.Prepare for a quick exit if need be.

As for revenge your call on what you think is right. But in my case it was real odd that after I was off the property the game warden had all kinds of anonymous tips to investigate. Building inspector was out there a lot too.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If it were Me I'd try to get My money back and spare Myself all the drama. As for revenge, I could care less about getting any revenge on the crazy daughter of an 85 year old lady that has cancer.....Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
If it were Me I'd try to get My money back and spare Myself all the drama. As for revenge, I could care less about getting any revenge on the crazy daughter of an 85 year old lady that has cancer.....Good luck....Hb

It has certainly ruined by season. The joy has just been sucked right out of it.

If it was just me, I'd probablly agree. Get the money and be on my way. The drama sucks. But there are two other gents on this lease with 2 boys. They would all loose their hunting seasons.I especially want the lads to get in a few archery hunts on the weekends before 11/1. One weekend dow and 2 to go! Then I'm really not sure I'd care either way.

This mess has about convinced me to drop $200k and buy my own place. 75 acres can be had for that, and that'd be plenty. I retire in a few years and I must just go into hermit mode.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
$200K for 75 acres? Wow! 200K would buy at least twice that much hunting land in My neck of the woods and 75 acres will be mighty crowded with 5 hunters....Good luck with your situation and good hunting....Hb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
$200K for 75 acres? Wow! 200K would buy at least twice that much hunting land in My neck of the woods and 75 acres will be mighty crowded with 5 hunters....Good luck with your situation and good hunting....Hb

East Texas is $2500/acre, depending on lots of things. Crazy here and getting higher by the year.

75 acres would have to be just me and one or two others, max.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

East Texas is $2500/acre, depending on lots of things. Crazy here and getting higher by the year.

75 acres would have to be just me and one or two others, max.

Places I used to cull hunt for free in west and central
Texas now charge $1500-1700.00 for a "meat " deer
2 day hunt.
"A" deer as in one (1)

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! That is some crazy high prices to meat hunt..I guess I am truely blessed with 10's of 1000's of acres of some of the best public hunting any hunter could ask for that has very good deer/turkey populations where a meat deer is easy and if you do your homework (like I do) a 150"+ buck is not out of the question....Good luck and good hunting in East Texas 👍......Hb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Too many people, not enough land. Prices bound to rize as Texas gets overpopulated. Dove hunting has become a "corporate" thing where all the field are bought up and $150/day/gun is the norm. A working man can't afford to hunt and it will eventually kill the hunting sports. I don't ever see teenagers dove hunting anymore.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah it sounds like the working man hunter is being squeezed out in Texas and as for no youth hunting? I think that is everywhere. I only know of a few young hunters in My area and I seldom see anyone hunting thats less than 40 years old...young people today have little interest in hunting/fishing...The Outdoor Sportsman is a dying breed.....Hb

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah it sounds like the working man hunter is being squeezed out in Texas and as for no youth hunting? I think that is everywhere. I only know of a few young hunters in My area and I seldom see anyone hunting thats less than 40 years old...young people today have little interest in hunting/fishing...The Outdoor Sportsman is a dying breed.....Hb
My nephews are 14 and 16 and can't get enough hunting. Thank god we live in a state with millions of acres of public land and permission to hunt private can still be had for the asking.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Update on this mess:

So Drama Daughter texted me after the phone calls inquiring how much I had "invested in the property". I presume she thought to add that amount to the lease fee and pay me that total back since she is so fair and honest. I never responded and have not heard another word since then. That's like 10-days ago. She never said she was going to refund and send a check, she only offered to which I refused. No one (Owner, agent, etc.) has ever said verbally or in writing "you're off the lease, get your stuff off, a refund is on its way to you now".

Facts are: I paid the owner just like I always have. The Owner deposited my check. I've never heard one word from the Owner, just some cranky woman I've never heard of or met that claims to be the Owners daughter. The Owner still has my money.

Archery deer season opens tomorrow and I'm going hunting. I can't hunt from 10/15 thru Thanksgiving becuase of work. So I'm going to do my darndest to take a couple deer with the bow before then just in case and before the Owner actually does something.

I'll take most of my gear out on the afternoon of 10/14, leaving just the feeder. I'll just use a climbing stand anytime I get out after that. If I loose anything it'll be a 15-year old rusted up feeder.

Crazy woman's name is Deborah Gilcrhist. Soon there will be notes in every truckstop and restroom with "For a good time call Deborah xxx-xxx-xxxx".

Does the daughter have a vested interest in the land or her mother's power of attorney? If not, tell her to pound sand.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was also invited to a free cull hunt about 10 years ago and didnt go. Told a coworker about it and he would have went in a heart beat. I had no idea they were that expensive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 76 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.