Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15255893 09/25/20
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone know much about how to learn the art?
Or what it cost to have it done?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's some good youtube videos on it that did a good job of discouraging me from ever trying.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There is a book by a man named Monty Kennedy I think. It has everything you’d ever want to know about the art of checkering gunstocks. It is a tedious process.

Last edited by gregintenn; 09/25/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's easier to recut than to lay out a pattern and checker from scratch. This guy is great and I've sent him a bunch of work. He's not that expensive and turnaround is good. http://www.casecustomgunstocks.com/

Sometimes it's easier to get it done than try to learn.

If you want to learn, get books on the subject and good tools. I like the carbide tools that Brownells sells. They're not cheap, but work well.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's easier to recut than to lay out a pattern and checker from scratch. This guy is great and I've sent him a bunch of work. He's not that expensive and turnaround is good. http://www.casecustomgunstocks.com/

Sometimes it's easier to get it done than try to learn.

If you want to learn, get books on the subject and good tools. I like the carbide tools that Brownells sells. They're not cheap, but work well.

DF
And as of late, they are usually out of stock.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Sometimes it's easier to get it done than try to learn....
DF

That right there could be the perfect summation of most of my efforts at being handy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know what it would run today but when Sterling Davenport did the checkering on my stock it was IIRC $250 give or take. I think that stock was one of the last ones he did before retiring.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This is my latest, recutting a pre-64 that had been sorta recut, but filled with way too much finish. I used the Brownells carbide tools. Now, this took a good while, probably several hours per panel. A real pro can turn out the work much faster.

I have a magnifying visor that I wear, have a light that I place at an angle to see the grooves better. It is sorta tedious and I send out work, mostly. This gun had already been "bubba'ed", so I wasn't too worried about messing it up. If so, I'd have sent it out. I was working on an old pre war Superposed with orange peeled finish. When I found out who owned it, I immediately took it to a pro to restore the wood and recut the checkering. Here's that link. Pretty long, but an interesting read. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719 No way would I attempt to work on a gun with that provenance.

Here's the link to the pre-64 project.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15163238/5 Scroll down to find the picture with only one coat of Tru-Oil, brushed out with a tooth brush so as to not fill up the grooves.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Final Touch by Joel Schafer.
A must have in your library. .

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Best to have two copies in case one gets loaned out and not returned.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Best to have two copies in case one gets loaned out and not returned.

For sure, two copies... wink

Checkering may be a bigger undertaking than one would think. How many really have the time to invest to learn it.

Reading books by the masters is key, then buying good tools, etc. LOTS of practice and time invested. The masters didn't get there overnight..

But, if that's your goal, go for it. Those guys first had to have the goal, the passion to become what they ultimately became.

DF

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Having done it both from scratch and recut, I've decided I can hold onto a stock just fine without it...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
the quality of the wood and the finish have to be there, and the former is quite expensive. Lesser woods chip out, no matter what you do. If you're not ready to spend $500 on the wood, forget it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I started many years ago with some discarded stocks and a Brownells basic checkering tool kit. Then progressed to recutting some already checkered stocks and upgraded tools. I read every thing I could find on checkering and stock making and gradually worked my way into both.

A person needs manual dexterity, good lighting, and a lot of patience. Some say you need a checkering cradle. I don't have one, and I sure never had $500 piece of wood. All of mine were from American black walnut my brother cut and aged about 20 years.

It is not rocket science and I am not a professional, but think I can hold my own. Sadly arthritis has stopped me from doing much.

Here are an old, Ithaca SXS 1936 era, and a Fox Sterlingworth of the same vintage. I made the butt stocks and fore ends, finished, and checkered them .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/26/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I never had a checkering cradle, either. Good lighting and something like an Optivisor. Google that one. It magnifies the work, makes it easier to see what you’re doing. The light source at an angle helps. Sorta makes shadows in the grooves, highlights the diamonds.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea,I forgot the Optivisor,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would never have patience for that. Time would be a problem too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 12 gauge Fox XE with a straight grip stock recut and lengthened. There were all kinds of issues.

The original stock was 13 inches. I'm 6' 3" so the length was no good. It also had a lot of oil soaked into the head that needed to be removed. The checkering was just about gone, with barely enough to use as a guide. I had it redone, with length added and the checkering recut. I don't regret it. But as a rule, I would have left it alone if it fit better.

I made sure the guy that did it was qualified to make it look as close to how it was originally as he could. Here it is with another unrestored 16 gauge Fox XE POW grip for comparison that I won't touch.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It's tedious and time consuming but not hard to learn. Takes a bit of patience, manual dexterity and hand eye coordination is all. Only way to learn and get good is by doing. Get a set of checkering tools, some pattern templates from Brownells and an old stock and go to town.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I would never have patience for that. Time would be a problem too

A couple of good reasons to sent it out.

I don't do patterns any more, do recut from time to time.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.