Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I'm in California and measure costs, particularly skilled labor costs, at accentuated values. Too often, putting projects out of reasonable ballpark!
That said, I'm with the vast majority suggesting begin with such as a 300 Mag action. I'll add even though more pricey, with patience possibly just to find a 300 Win Mag with the whole factory 'shebang' done for you. I understand when 'researched' and heart set on particular cartridge. But much to be said re 300 Win Mag considering 100% "factory production" A heavier initial investment, but if 'no substantial alterations and you can live with the factory round, presumably $$$$ saved there. If you change stock, just keep the original! Below mine.
As usual, you pay your money and you take your choice! I'm just a great Occam's Razor advocate!
Best & Good Luck! Hope whatever your decision, your keep your 'public' here informed how it all turns out! smile
John

Attached Images
R418-1U.jpg (24.25 KB, 282 downloads)
1963 Model 70 300 Winchester Mag
R418-10U.jpg (31.5 KB, 284 downloads)
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
I'm in California and measure costs, particularly skilled labor costs, at accentuated values. Too often, putting projects out of reasonable ballpark!
That said, I'm with the vast majority suggesting begin with such as a 300 Mag action. I'll add even though more pricey, with patience possibly just to find a 300 Win Mag with the whole factory 'shebang' done for you. I understand when 'researched' and heart set on particular cartridge. But much to be said re 300 Win Mag considering 100% "factory production" A heavier initial investment, but if 'no substantial alterations and you can live with the factory round, presumably $$$$ saved there. If you change stock, just keep the original! Below mine.
As usual, you pay your money and you take your choice! I'm just a great Occam's Razor advocate!
Best & Good Luck! Hope whatever your decision, your keep your 'public' here informed how it all turns out! smile
John

Hes not asking about a 300 win mag. In the pre 64 world theres a huge difference between it and the H&H. Im thinking most of the guys here would rather put their nut in a vise than to destroy an original 300wm. Good luck ever finding one of those at a sane price too. Its likely not going to happen. He's wanting an H&H. The best alternative is to find an H&H (300 or 375) and go from there. Too much fiddling around to turn his std's into an H&H and then theres the guys that will always point out the fact that the rifle is not correct. An H&H belongs in an H&H action. Another funny thing about the H&H receiver is it makes a dandy action to build short magnums off of too. For one thing, they are lighter. They also allow for more room in the magazine, both depth wise and length wise. You have the best of all worlds, if you are wanting to build a lightweight 300wm or 338wm. The one I have weighs in at 7 pounds and it holds 4 in the mag box. The same can be said for my 300WBY that is a rechambered 300H&H.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you go the rebore route - you could pull the barrel up north, then send just the barrel to JES.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two, all original and for sale, not cheap but not overpriced, a 300H&H and a 375H&H

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Responding to BSA1917hunter...

You've misunderstood my post or perhaps myself unclear: Simply presenting 'another' alternative. Admitting immediately it requires weaning-away from the chambering O/P desires. The plus, not a huge cartridge ballistics difference. Also, factory ammo available!
My proposal, restated. Do some wise shopping, Find a pre '64 Model 70 in 300 Winchester Magnum. Live with its factory "similar" chambering! Admittedly, as only made in '63, the 300 WM are pricey. But notably, "investments". Change the stock if desired. The two keys: DON'T alter any metal and RETAIN the original stock intact! Shoot it as it's chambered with whatever custom stock pleases. The rifle will continue to appreciate versus any - excuse me for frankness - Bubba conversion and particularly in a Wildcat chambering! THIS WAS JUST ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE VERSUS MY JOINING THE MAJORITY BELOW with just a few notations.

The alternative, also my first thought on reading the O/Ps plan as others have also referenced: Find a pre '64 Model 70 magnum. Moreover, find one already altered. Typically, the early models without D&T bridge, such alteration removing them from pure collector interest. (Ironically, making it scope-mounting friendly IF holes properly placed!) Ergo, more reasonably priced and not desecrating a "collector piece". Then... "have your way with it!" Still, the net-net is almost certainly a depreciated rifle from point of investment costs. The positive, literally getting exactly the rifle desired at 'comparatively' lesser cost than "convert standard action" plan!

Such... My take!
Best & Stay Safe
John

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
All good points, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Nice to see a discussion that stays on topic and offers some alternative solutions!
Clearly the best/most cost effective route is to try to find a good 300 H&H that is not collector quality and go from there. I am still wrestling with the "logic" of setting up one when I have a very good 30-06 fwt, that shoots very well, already set up/stocked as I want it! Definitely a first world problem.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Responding to BSA1917hunter...

You've misunderstood my post or perhaps myself unclear: Simply presenting 'another' alternative. Admitting immediately it requires weaning-away from the chambering O/P desires. The plus, not a huge cartridge ballistics difference. Also, factory ammo available!
My proposal, restated. Do some wise shopping, Find a pre '64 Model 70 in 300 Winchester Magnum. Live with its factory "similar" chambering! Admittedly, as only made in '63, the 300 WM are pricey. But notably, "investments". Change the stock if desired. The two keys: DON'T alter any metal and RETAIN the original stock intact! Shoot it as it's chambered with whatever custom stock pleases. The rifle will continue to appreciate versus any - excuse me for frankness - Bubba conversion and particularly in a Wildcat chambering! THIS WAS JUST ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE VERSUS MY JOINING THE MAJORITY BELOW with just a few notations.

The alternative, also my first thought on reading the O/Ps plan as others have also referenced: Find a pre '64 Model 70 magnum. Moreover, find one already altered. Typically, the early models without D&T bridge, such alteration removing them from pure collector interest. (Ironically, making it scope-mounting friendly IF holes properly placed!) Ergo, more reasonably priced and not desecrating a "collector piece". Then... "have your way with it!" Still, the net-net is almost certainly a depreciated rifle from point of investment costs. The positive, literally getting exactly the rifle desired at 'comparatively' lesser cost than "convert standard action" plan!

Such... My take!
Best & Stay Safe
John

You make a good point. I'm wondering how many 300wm's the OP would run across in his neck of the woods though?? Its good to have alternatives. I think the OP should get together with Kutnay and see if he may have a rifle he'd let go of.. I'm sure that old codger, Dewey, has just what the op is looking for...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
All good points, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Nice to see a discussion that stays on topic and offers some alternative solutions!
Clearly the best/most cost effective route is to try to find a good 300 H&H that is not collector quality and go from there. I am still wrestling with the "logic" of setting up one when I have a very good 30-06 fwt, that shoots very well, already set up/stocked as I want it! Definitely a first world problem.

I'd set up a good 300 magnum or 338wm, even though you have a great 30-06 as well. We all have awesome 30-06 rifles, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good 300 or 338. I'd feel naked if I didn't have my 338wm during elk season here. Even though I know my 30-06, loaded with 200 grain partitions, puts the smack down on them too..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wonder if converting from .30-'06 to .300 RCM would be easier? Open the bolt face, maybe change the magazine follower, rechamber, done? Dunno what the .300 RCM would do enough better than a .30-'06 to make doing the work worthwhile, though...

If that conversion is really relatively easy (since I'm just guessing), converting to a .338 or even .375 RCM might not be all that much more difficult. Rebarrel probably, instead of just rechambering... but both would be offering a more serious step up...

Just some random thoughts...

-Chris

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
As a followup I have managed to stumble onto a very nice H&H length action that has been rechambered to 300 weatherby, and have also located an excellent original 300 H&H barrel that will be installed shortly. Sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Gun in question has an aftermarket stock (rollover cheekpiece) that will not stay as it is for long (may get a bit of a makeover if the foundation of a decent stock is there). Search will be on for a pre 64 monte carlo (refinished would be fine for my purposes) or a quality synthetic to get the rifle back into action.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Old original post but it was stated that the basis would be a standard action. If the individual was just looking for an increase in velocity without the cool factor of an H&H, he might consider converting the standard action to a 300 WM. Been there, done that.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Its more trouble than its worth. Sell one of your Pre-64s and find a true full magnum action. Its cheaper than trying to convert a standard action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a followup I have managed to stumble onto a very nice H&H length action that has been rechambered to 300 weatherby, and have also located an excellent original 300 H&H barrel that will be installed shortly. Sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Gun in question has an aftermarket stock (rollover cheekpiece) that will not stay as it is for long (may get a bit of a makeover if the foundation of a decent stock is there). Search will be on for a pre 64 monte carlo (refinished would be fine for my purposes) or a quality synthetic to get the rifle back into action.

Any updates on this project? smile

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
So far I have had the original H&H barrel installed (by Gary Flach) and he cleaned up the bolt face at the same time. I have found a pre 64 monte carlo that is solid and uncut, but checkering is worn. Bouncing back and forth between that stock and the aftermarket stock that needs a makeover and still keeping an eye out for a good lightweight synthetic that would be appropriate.
Right now I am fighting off some gun cabinet rationalization that has me wondering whether to continue with the project or just stick with the two really nice pre 64 fwts I have. Meantime I ran into a decent 264 WM westerner through a friend, but that one will be the first to go. Definitely first world problems!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Pat there is a real nice 300 H&H for sale on CGN right now. Or there was.

Edit: it’s gone.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/31/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So far I have had the original H&H barrel installed (by Gary Flach) and he cleaned up the bolt face at the same time. I have found a pre 64 monte carlo that is solid and uncut, but checkering is worn. Bouncing back and forth between that stock and the aftermarket stock that needs a makeover and still keeping an eye out for a good lightweight synthetic that would be appropriate.
Right now I am fighting off some gun cabinet rationalization that has me wondering whether to continue with the project or just stick with the two really nice pre 64 fwts I have. Meantime I ran into a decent 264 WM westerner through a friend, but that one will be the first to go. Definitely first world problems!

The 300H&H is kinda like a +p 30-06. Still practical enough for everything without being too much into the "magnum" territory. If one owned one of them along with a nice pre64 270, they'd want for nothing and have a nice classic pair of rifles. I'd pass on the 264 as it really doesn't have much to offer over a 270.

I'd go with the walnut stock with a M8 4x Leupold for the classic rifle ensemble. smile Have it bedded and sealed up. You could get Gary to clean up the checkering a bit. You can always get a synthetic down the road but seeing that the walnut stock already shows use, you won't be afraid to use it some more.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Pathfinder76, thanks for the heads up. IIRC that was a very nice one on cgn, though outside my budget at present. I am too clumsy and working class to use one that nice!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.