24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
There didn't seem to be a forum for this kind of question, so hopefully somebody with the right info can help out.

First off, I'm getting to be an old phart. For years I stuck with ALICE gear. I went to a civilian militia event once and I was one of three guys still carrying ALICE stuff. But, it's uncomfortable; its' cumbersome; it's ridiculous. You have a belt with suspenders - the equivalent of a modern "battle belt." Then you put a pack on over the top of that. So, you essentially have two sets of straps going over your shoulders and on top of that, you use a rifle sling.

We can now take a step up and have a plate carrier OR places want to sell you a chest rig- in which case you still need to have something on your back to carry water and essentials. So, you have a chest rig and a back pack... and two sets of straps coming across your shoulders, PLUS a rifle sling.

Back to the plate carrier. At 64, I'm not thinking about 17 pounds of plates front and back, plus a cumberbund holding two smaller plates, ammo, magazines, and probably a battle belt plus sidearm and your rifle OMG. I have a MOLLE fanny pack that a dealer said is hard to come by. So, what would be the downside to a plate carrier, no plates, ammo in front (3 mags), water bladder in the pocket on the back side of the plate carrier, and my fanny pack. It would serve as a kind of Bug Out Bag and get out of a riot, looter scenario. Anyone with any better ideas?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out the French milsurp tactical vest that Sportsman's Guide is selling for $35, their item # WX2-713115.

One of the guys who I hunt with bought this vest and said that he likes it, but he had to break it down and wash it several times to get the preservative smell out of it. He said that the vest that he received appeared to be new and unused, but had heard from someone else that the vest that person received had been used and was quite worn.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nothing wrong with an ultra-light plate carrier like the Crye JPC 1.0, Crye Air Lite, or Eagle Industries Active Shooter minimalist carrier. You could add a couple of Kevlar Panels for Level III protection in a pinch without adding much weight. In fact, they tend to balance better with a bit of weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wear just the front plate. Add pouches.

Hundreds of chest rigs: Get one and an "assault" pack...saves your back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5oiFBwgDM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFyDsMjb9s8

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.