Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I recently purchased a Sig P365XL. I had been on a waiting list for many weeks at a LGS, and they called and said they finally had one available. Turns out it was a non-Romeo Zero model number with a Romeo Zero installed. I didn't think it mattered whether it was factory installed or not, so I bought it. It actually worked out somewhat in my favor because I also have the Sig X-Ray3 tritium rear sight in case I want to remove the RMR. I believe if you buy the factory-installed RMR, the pistol comes without the X-Ray3 rear sight.

Anyway, today was my first time shooting a pistol with a red dot optic. I'm not the greatest or most experienced pistol shooter, but I have other handguns with which I am relatively proficient. In order to hit near the point of aim at 10 yards, I had to adjust the elevation screw as far down as the adjustment would allow, but I was still probably an inch or two higher than I wanted to be. With the elevation bottomed out (i.e. red dot as high as it will go), the red dot appears to sit just at the top my front sight. At 25 yards, the point of impact was probably 4" or 5" above my point of aim. Again, I'm not the best shot at that distance, but everything was high.

Turning the elevation setting all the way up (i.e. red dot moving down) clearly moves the red dot as it completely drops off the sight picture when lining up the makeshift rear sight on the base of the Romeo Zero with the front sight. Adjusting the elevation all the way back down (i.e. raising the red dot) brings it back up to just the top of the front sight post, which seems like a good place to be, although I would've hoped that the adjustment was more midway to be there instead of completely bottomed out.

Obviously, I need more practice with this set-up. It seems like I need just a little more elevation adjustment to bring the point of impact down. Never having used an RMR, I'm wondering whether my sight picture is improper for this type of sight. If not, is there some way to remedy the installation to allow for more adjustment?

I double-checked the installation, and the optic is securely mounted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You need to try different weight bullets. I'll bet a lighter bullet would help you out with the POI

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's a good point. I forgot to mention the ammo. I was shooting mostly Speer Lawman 147 gr. FMJ and a few magazines of Speer Gold Dot 147 gr.

I do have some 115 gr. range fodder and some 124 gr. Federal HST +P that I can try next time. With the availability and price of ammo being what it is, I hope I get this squared away pretty quickly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Shim the front of the optic to lower point of impact

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shoot lower.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I thought about shimming. Today, I ordered a FAT Wrench screwdriver from Midway USA so that I can properly re-torque the screws when I remove the sight. I'll wait until the screwdriver is delivered before removing the optic. I need to do this sooner or later anyway because the optic must be removed from the slide to replace the battery.

If I end up liking the red dot sight on a pistol, I can always upgrade the optic down the road. I figure the Romeo Zero is good enough for now, and if I like the concept, more and better RMRs should become available for compact pistols as the popularity of red dot optics grows. Hopefully, increased competition will result in improved products at affordable prices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speer Lawman 147 shot consistently high for us, across many pistols. The Lawman 124 solved that problem and was more accurate, too.

ETA:
I'd try different ammo before I started shimming a dot on a reciprocating slide.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 09/26/20.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lesson for next time. Do not buy "Mickey Mouse" optics outsourced from who know where and from whom. It pays to stay with well-established experts in the field: Trijicon, Aimpoint,.....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Slavek
Lesson for next time. Do not buy "Mickey Mouse" optics outsourced from who know where and from whom. It pays to stay with well-established experts in the field: Trijicon, Aimpoint,.....

You're right. And, maybe if I ask nicely, Trijicon or Aimpoint will pay for my kids to go to college and fund my retirement savings.

My lesson for this time was to determine whether I prefer a RMR on a compact pistol versus traditional iron sights before wasting a bunch of money on something I don't like.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 09/26/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Speer Lawman 147 shot consistently high for us, across many pistols. The Lawman 124 solved that problem and was more accurate, too.

ETA:
I'd try different ammo before I started shimming a dot on a reciprocating slide.

^^^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Slavek

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

ETA:

I'd listen to Blue

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

360 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.