Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Age old argument of what's better, size of the gun for concealment or magazine capacity. But the question now is, have your priorities changed given the current threats? Personally, 5 years ago, I would have opted for a smaller capacity gun that was easy to conceal against a threat of 1-4 criminals. Considering the mob threat on the horizon, my priorities have definitely shifted towards magazine capacity. The idea of having 20-30 bad guys running around me and having a nice, small, comfortable gun with a 7 round mag doesn't sound fun. My carry now is an M&P commander size with 4.25" barrel and a 17+1 capacity. It's bulkier and not as light but I like having those 17 rounds in the gun along with another 34 rounds in a 2 mag belt carrier. What are you guys carrying? Has it changed with Operation Mayhem in effect? Full disclosure, I have not carried nearly as long as many people here. Just speaking my mind and looking for any advice in the new environment. Thanks in advance.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've been carrying 13-15+1 and two extra mags for a long time..

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Carry what handgun you shoot well.

Then adjust number of extra magazines as needed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Carry what handgun you shoot well.

Then adjust number of extra magazines as needed.

That brings up additional questions though. I can shoot a compact just fine super close. Obviously, I can shoot a larger gun better at a longer distance. As the number of threats increases, you may need to start engaging at a farther distance just because you may need to deal with several targets.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Your pistol is for fighting your way back to your truck to get your rifle.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Higginez

Truer words have never been spoken.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Truer words have never been spoken.

And my rifles also take my pistol mags.

45 acp subs or .460 Rowland out to to 200.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
No one can't predict the nature of the fight. Work back from worst case scenario and be honest w/ yourself. A gun that you can present quickly, shoot w/ speed and accuracy is a start. Having lots of ammo helps preclude the possibility of missing the opportunity to succeed. Absolute faith in the dependability of your choice is paramount. It is a weird world out there, a G19 and 2 extra 17 round mags is, for me, optimum. Lots of dryfire and lots of ammo and a shot timer will validate your choice.

You have to prove for yourself what really works. Practice, practice, practice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

That is as dumb today as it was when first stated.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It doesn't seem to take 15 rds fired to scatter a snowflake/antifa/blm mob.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeL2

It may if you have to travel several blocks to safety.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
More ammo more better much mo ammo much mo better. Rifles are better than handguns. Shotguns can do many jobs. Friends with all 3 are best.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MikeL2

When I dove hunt... I take more than 1 shell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker

That is as dumb today as it was when first stated.

mike r

Seems to me if you've managed to shoot your way out of crowd of bad guys/gals and have managed to get back to your truck, why not get in your truck and haul azz outta there??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
be able to shoot well trumps both.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
With a 380 I can get over 2 or 3 to get the pump shotgun in the truck. Honestly I am the size of an NFL lineman. I could run over several without the pistol and drive over the ones I didn't flatten on my way to the truck. I have had to wade through a crowd a few times of aggressive acting thugs and they gave when I shoved through them. They didn't say anything either. The first time was in South Memphis. It taught me I needed to carry about35 years ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm certainly no expert, but my personal belief is that there's not much a 1911 in .45 ACP can't handle. For example, in your 20-30 bad guy scenario, suppose you drop 1 or 2 of those bad guys with well-placed shots to the brain pan or center mass? The bad guys will turn tail and run. I understand you cannot count on such an outcome, but it's been shown to be the case with these commie agitators time-and-time again. I also prefer the increased terminal performance of the larger caliber. My concern with a high capacity smaller caliber pistol is both the reduced performance and the increased difficulty of keeping track of round count.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been carrying everyday for many years
Carry a Glock 26 in Khaki pants pocket in a Mic Trigger guard Holster,Factory 10 Round Magazine along with the round in the chamber.
Also a Ruger LCP with a Ruger 7 round Magazine with round in the chamber in Propper Blouse shirt pocket along with an extra Ruger 7 round magazine in another shirt pocket.
So I feel like I have enough rounds to get me back to my truck.
Once I get back to my truck I have a way to escape or an over 5000 Pound weapon depending on the situation.

If you need to engage targets at a longer range Try to have a Rifle as opposed to a Handgun.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Does anyone actually leave a good rifle or shotgun unattended in their vehicle? If you live alone in the wilderness this question is probably not relevant.

#noonestealsstuffinhooterville

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.