Print Thread
Hop To
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
a video or how to on sponge painting I have one I want sponge bit I have some intrepidation. Can anyone help me out? powdr

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before you get into sponge painting, perhaps something a bit simpler like proof reading your post.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just did my Kimber Montana stock literally a couple hours ago.

It was easier than expected.

It was spur of the moment. I needed spray paint for something else. Ended up working on several projects this evening.

After finding the paint I wanted, I went to the craft section of Walmart and found a small pack of "natural sponge" pieces. Had like 5-6 small chunks of sponge.

My stock was the slate blue Kimber.

I started with black. First several splotches did not go as they did on paper. Way too much pressure on my part. Light dabs is better IMO.

Then did a slate blue color.....then a light color. Then redid black really lightly just to break everything up again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

To apply the paint, I sprayed the sponge itself pretty generously. Not dripping but it was wet.

Depending on what you wanna achieve, I think mine would looked better if I was more random with the orientation of the sponge. Twist your hand all different ways as you dab.

I then hit it with a matte clear a couple times. It's now drying. I am happy with how it turned out. I didn't want to fill the texture of the stock so I kept the slate blue as a base coat and used colors that worked well with that base color.

It's easy.....and if you don't like how it's looking, let that color dry and go over it with something else.

I've never tried it till this evening and I'm no artist ..lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser06
I just did my Kimber Montana stock literally a couple hours ago.

It was easier than expected.

It was spur of the moment. I needed spray paint for something else. Ended up working on several projects this evening.

After finding the paint I wanted, I went to the craft section of Walmart and found a small pack of "natural sponge" pieces. Had like 5-6 small chunks of sponge.

My stock was the slate blue Kimber.

I started with black. First several splotches did not go as they did on paper. Way too much pressure on my part. Light dabs is better IMO.

Then did a slate blue color.....then a light color. Then redid black really lightly just to break everything up again.

To apply the paint, I sprayed the sponge itself pretty generously. Not dripping but it was wet.

Depending on what you wanna achieve, I think mine would looked better if I was more random with the orientation of the sponge. Twist your hand all different ways as you dab.

I then hit it with a matte clear a couple times. It's now drying. I am happy with how it turned out. I didn't want to fill the texture of the stock so I kept the slate blue as a base coat and used colors that worked well with that base color.

It's easy.....and if you don't like how it's looking, let that color dry and go over it with something else.

I've never tried it till this evening and I'm no artist ..lol

Looks good, Mauser06.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couple pics of it assembled....I like it even more.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks professionally done to me. It looks like some of McMillans molded in ambush patterns

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very nice .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like a job well done. I have always been hesitant because of how it may look in a year or two.... Let us know how well it holds up

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very nice! I like it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx all!

Oakster, I hit it with a couple coats of clear. That should help. If it doesn't last, it could be touched up pretty quick.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Craigster, powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve done several with Brownells alumahyde and always been happy with the results. I like sponges with larger open pores and spray the paint onto a paper plate and dab onto the stock as needed.

I paint dark to light colors in order. Biggest piece of advice is that when using the dark colors in the beginning is to change the angle you dab the paint on so not every dab looks the same. Apply the first color only sporadically to the stock and then run the next color slightly overlapping in a few places to start filling in. Once I am almost done I will go back over with the dark colors and do a few spots to break it all up. Couple coats of matte clear and set it in the corner for a week to harden.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Couple pics of it assembled....I like it even more.

Very sharp!

If looking for a great clearcoat I'd suggest Brownells' AH2 in matte clear. It takes quite a while to dry/cure but is tough as nails. I do about half a dozen very thin coats, 10-20min apart. It's epoxy-based, so it holds up well.

Now with even more aplomb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 17 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.