24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We just got back from the Oregon desert country east of Lakeveiw and our 2020 Sage Grouse hunt.
I took my recently purchased Mossberg SA20 “Turkey Thug” autoloading shotgun along this time.
I bought Carlson M and IC chokes for it and ran Federal 3” #6’s, because I have a bunch of them.......
The SA20 is my turkey killer, but it was perfect for this kind of hunt and the recoil was much lighter than expected.
The first grouse was jump shot near a water hole and the other after chasing them through the sage until I finally got ahead of them, nailed on the rise.
Fun hunt! Anyone else chasin sage?
BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish! My pronghorn hunt in UT was a week ahead of the sage grouse hunt. First day of scouting I saw more sage grouse than pronghorn!! One of my favorite upland birds to hunt. Hopefully someday I can check that species off Hank's bucket list.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's been several years since I last hunted sage grouse, injuries, work, and other opportunities have interfered.

The last sage grouse I shot was in Montana, the first one was in North Dakota. They are fun birds to hunt and that the seasons open fairly early helps to extend one's hunting time and put experience on a dog. Start shooting wild birds over a dog in early September (August for some birds) and continue into Feburary and a dog will pile on the experience in one most dogs will see in a lifetime.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Been hunting them since I got back!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have been out the last three days.. A bit in the morning then again in the evening.. Taken a limit everyday.. Will get a few more then will be finished..
Years ago when I was a young man, sage grouse hunting was a big event.. Most went out for opening day and maybe the next.. It was in early Sept. maybe a week long.. Then they opened archery elk the month of Sept. and everyone is out trying to get enough arrows in an elk to bring it to bag.. About the same time, we had sage grouse explosion.. There were birds everywhere, and far less hunters.. Seasons got longer, and longer.. For a couple years it opened late Aug. till the end of Sept... I also had about 20 older folks that loved the grouse they ate in their youth, but could not long get due to age.. I was glad to get them all the grouse they wanted.. Time went on, I have only one lady that still likes grouse and I am not sure if she wants any this season.. Will check tomorrow.. Now the season is later, birds are bigger and fewer.. I still have some excellent spots, but just my dogs and I hunt.. Haven't seen a grouse hunt for several years... Fine by me, just wish I had more folks that liked them like the old days..

My late wife and I used to hunt often.. We used about all the guages of shotguns: 410 to 10, except 16.. I have shot them with o/u, sxs, autos, and pumps.. Now I mostly use my old 870 12 ga. I have had for coming on 50 years.. Sometimes I use and old model 31,97, or 12.. They are all 30 " full chokes from days gone by... I have been trying different loads this fall in my old 12.. All 3 1/4 -1 1/4 loads but with 5;s 6's 7's and 7 1/2's.. The 7's are hard to find in a factory load.. I hope to hunt sage grouse as long I as I am able to hunt.. Great game bird in great country..

Molon Labe
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd like to go out, been ten years since we had a real season here in SD.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I limited one day off of good solid points by the hounds. Shot the elusive Juarez sage boomer, with a 28ga no less.

Saw lots of birds and no hombres. The 5 month old even found some, but chased them to texas and back.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/01/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.