Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am interested in any other owner’s experience with the Uberti Courteney Stalking Rifle.

After going through a barrel break in process and spending multiple time and hours at the range with my rifle, my experience is largely similar to the recent Shooting Times cover page and article on the Courteney.

My experience of stock fit shows this rifle was intended for use with iron sights. For those of us who are categorized as “elderly”, this is a problem. If you get a good cheek weld to the stock your eyes do align to the provided iron sight. However, these old eyes need a scope to have a chance of hitting an point of aim. Using a scope, even with low rings brings your cheek up from the stock.

Additionally, if you use low rings there is very little room to wiggle a finger under the scope to cock the hammer and less room to insert and remove extracted cases. Even if Uberti was to provide a hammer offset the room under the scope to handle the rounds is not convenient. I have relatively small hands, someone with large hands would find it even more difficult.

Early on in the barrel break in process, I elected to use high rings. This does provide the space to insert and remove rounds and more easily cock the hammer. However, this brings the head up off the stock with no connection to the stock and does not promote accuracy.

Like the Shooting Times article, I have found 5 shot group sizes to be a challenge. I have not used factory loads but have done all my shooting with my own loads. I used new Winchester brass and Remington and PPU bullets, 174 gr and 180 gr.. Primers used were WLR, Sellier & Bellot and Federal 210. Load books used were Lyman’s 50th, Hodgdon’s and Waters Pet Loads.

The best groups have been a bit more than 3” and the worst well over 8”. My frustration has come about with groups where the first round is over 3” to the left of POA, the next 3 center clustered in a ¾” group and the 5th 3” to the right of POA. This has happened 5 times with loads with Winchester and Accurate Arms ball powder.

I suspect the forearm is having some effect depending on where it rests on the forward pad at the bench. So, I will be looking into that. However, if any other owner has found and conquered the problem I am very interested in hearing their solution.

As far as the scope is concerned, I am considering replacing the high rings and scope with a long eye relief scope, ala scout rifle. It won’t be in keeping with the turn of the 19th century theme but may be a better solution to cheek weld and action access.

As for the rifle itself, the Shooting Times description matches mine. Wood fit is close and eye attractive. Blue and color case hardening is very good. The action is butter smooth and provides a tight lock when closed. Eye appear of the rifle is at least in my eyes a fine looking rifle.

If only to have 21-year-old eyes again and to be able to shoot with the provided sights; or even better to put on a peep aperture sight.

Bottom line, it appears to me that Uberti achieved the style of the late 19th to early 20th century when open sights were what you used. Now if I can only find the solution and get some tighter group sizes.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did you or ST slug the bore to confirm it is in fact .303?

does it work better with .313, .311, .312 bullets? there are different sizes available as I recall maybe even .310 or .308?

is the twist ideal for the weights you tried 174/180? or did they measure an antique in a museum and put a twist for 220gr bullets?

Maybe they used the same bore drill/rifling button they used on some .30-06 product, or maybe some .32-20 product.

Keep at it, shoot good

Poole

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Browning B-78 which is quite similar to your rifle as well and a not too small collection of Ruger #1 rifles in various configurations.

My point being some single shot rifles are quite fussy about where the forearm is on the front rest. Many times, albeit a bit awkward, I've found the having the front rest bag literally against the the trigger guard will sometimes make quite a difference in groups. Another help, depending on the rifle is making sure the forearm is resting on the front bag as close to the exact same way as possible.

I do agree that using a scope on the high wall actions cam get a bit sticky, especially when trying to load the hammer to half cock after loading the chamber when on a hunt on a cold day.

Anyway, give my ideas a try and see if it doesn't help. It has for me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have not slugged the barrel but did query Uberti customer service and they have stated it is a .312 bore. So far, I have been unable to find any .312 bullets so my only option has been .311 and the only ones I could find in 174 and 180 gr. has been .311 Hornady FMJ/BTSP and PPU lead core spitzers. I was able to buy some PPU 150's in .311 and will be trying them out as well. If anyone knows of a cast bullet supplier that has gas check .314 I'd like to check those too.

It would appear the 303 Brit has suffered in the priorities of the manufacturers. Even finding .311 has been a search with most options shown online have "out of stock" and "no back order". My recent visit to Cabela's found empty shelves and I have found that primers are in the same lack of availability. Luckily, I have a half brick of Winchester and a couple 100's of S&B and Federal.

I haven't checked the twist yet but took Uberti customer service at their word that 174's and 180's were first choice.

As I say, I will be removing the forearm and having a look see and see what may be causing the problem. If I find anything, I'll post it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Probably 10 years ago now (the way time seems to fly by) Mule Deer did an article about a No 1 in .303. In it he had very good results using 180gr .308 partitions. It seems they bump up in the bore for good accuracy. You might look for that article.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.