-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 10 gauge for shooting greaters, or late season hunts where they’re a little farther out. It folds them up nice.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
We didn't shoot until they were cupped up with feet down, coming into our set at about 25 yrds.
That is always an awesome experience and never gets old. Love it.

I went straight to a Browning Gold when I went to the 10. It handled very well for me, whether I was in a blind hunting a flooded rice field or layin’ in a field flat on my back camo’d up.

Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I use a 10 gauge for shooting greaters, or late season hunts where they’re a little farther out. It folds them up nice.
I concur.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never shot cranes. For ducks and geese I shoot 3" 12 gauge steel in the swamps and 3 1/2" 12 gauge over the big water. Always 2 shot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
12ga 3" #2 Steel for ducks, 3.5" #2s for later in the season.

12ga BB-#2 3 or 3.5" for geese.

BPS 10ga BBB for late season geese, but not so much anymore. Don't need the shoulder abuse.

Everything changes with Tungsten and/or Bismuth. 2s or 4s for geese and 4 or 5s for ducks. If you haven't looked at BOSS shotshells, I highly encourage you watch some of their vids. Killing big birds with 6s. Good stuff.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Depending on early or late season, but my standard:
1.) #2
2.) BB
3.) BB - but honestly they’re fragile and don’t take much

We kill a lot of birds every year, and these are pretty standard. I’d add more pictures but the file size is too big.

Ribeyes of the sky! Are they are good eating as they claim? We never got any good shots at them in our trips to ND. It always sounded like they were right on top of you, only to look up and see them 200' in the air. Kinda like swans in that regard.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ducks, 3" 2's or 3's.
Geese, 2's. If just targeting geese, which is rare, maybe BB.
Only Sandhill I killed was with a 3" 2 shot.

I patterned some 20 GA 2 3/4 boss #5 today. Great pattern with a full choke. We'll see how they do this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#2 or #4Black Cloud or Kent Fasteel BB .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I became a 10ga man after a morning of duck hunting in the salt marshes with a couple of Fire members when we all lived in AK. I was shooting ducks with my SKB 100 using 2 3/4” steel 4s and doing okay. All the sudden a pair of cranes came over low and right on top of me. I gave the lead bird both barrels and knocked feathers off him both times. Last time I saw him he was gliding out over Cook Inlet never to be seen again.

I went to a buddy’s gun shop two days later and swapped a 444 Marlin for an SP10 and a half case of shells. Next trip it was a whole different game. It will reliably crush birds out at 50-60 yards if you can figure the lead. The results on decoyed ducks with huge charges of bismuth are amazing to someone who missed the lead era of waterfowling.

I still have it and probably a case of shells, about half of which are Bismuth 4s. Don’t shoot many ducks and geese anymore but it’s hell on turkeys. Was thinking yesterday I may have to dust it off and kill some sky carp this winter. It’d probably make a heck of a blocking gun for SD roosters come December too with some of those 4’s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Depending on early or late season, but my standard:
1.) #2
2.) BB
3.) BB - but honestly they’re fragile and don’t take much

We kill a lot of birds every year, and these are pretty standard. I’d add more pictures but the file size is too big.

Ribeyes of the sky! Are they are good eating as they claim? We never got any good shots at them in our trips to ND. It always sounded like they were right on top of you, only to look up and see them 200' in the air. Kinda like swans in that regard.

I questioned it, but they really are good. Not exactly like steak, but the texture was actually quite close. They’re odd to hunt and decoy. Where we are they’re more difficult than ducks and geese. The decoys are actual taxidermied birds. They’re a blast to hunt, though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I became a 10ga man after a morning of duck hunting in the salt marshes with a couple of Fire members when we all lived in AK. I was shooting ducks with my SKB 100 using 2 3/4” steel 4s and doing okay. All the sudden a pair of cranes came over low and right on top of me. I gave the lead bird both barrels and knocked feathers off him both times. Last time I saw him he was gliding out over Cook Inlet never to be seen again.

I went to a buddy’s gun shop two days later and swapped a 444 Marlin for an SP10 and a half case of shells. Next trip it was a whole different game. It will reliably crush birds out at 50-60 yards if you can figure the lead. The results on decoyed ducks with huge charges of bismuth are amazing to someone who missed the lead era of waterfowling.

I still have it and probably a case of shells, about half of which are Bismuth 4s. Don’t shoot many ducks and geese anymore but it’s hell on turkeys. Was thinking yesterday I may have to dust it off and kill some sky carp this winter. It’d probably make a heck of a blocking gun for SD roosters come December too with some of those 4’s.

Mine isn’t exactly the same as your experience, but it’s pretty close. Hunting greaters one year I shot my 12 with 3.5” BB’s and had a lot of birds sailing. My wife’s uncle collected 10 gauges and let me buy one from him. I shout it the next year and absolutely folded up the birds. No comparison. I’ve let a few others shoot it while we’ve been out hunting and they all leave saying they’re going to buy one.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TheKid

I remember another morning with a side by side 16ga followed by you using my 12ga with 3.5” shells after my limit was done. That was pure comedy.

To the OP:

#1 - 3.5” 2’s
#2 - 3.5” BB’s
#3 - 3.5” BB’s if it’s a dedicated crane hunt. Usually opportunistic when I’m hunting and have killed them with everything from 4’s to BB.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.