-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have recoil restrictions mandated by some medical issues. I use a Mossberg 500 in 20GA. Barrel is a factory 18 inch. My gunsmith installed a tritium front bead. I have a sling on it. 6 #3 Buck in the gun, another 5 in a butt sleeve. Works for me

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beretta, Saiga, or benelli for semi.

Pump would be remington 870

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Older Remington Wingmaster 870. Short barrel & extension magazine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Yep. That’s what mine is. Plus I have a Rem Tacc-14 with the brace for a truck gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
never liked pistol griped shotguns, when i got mine I had them swap out the stock with a regular stock, I have hunted turkeys with my old m1 super90, with a plug in it of course.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The newer 870 Police Magnums definitely have their problems.

Berettas and Benellis aren't the same. The Beretta guns are gas operated and Benelli isn't.

If I were to do one now I'd get a standard stocked Benelli. I think a 21" barrel can hold 9 ghost loaded with an extension flush with the barrel. For a dedicated "tactical" shotgun I'd do the 18" with ghost ring sights. But a 21" with an XS rear sight in the rib can do really well with slugs.

exactly, with slugs and ghost ring sights a benelli well...its oddly accurate...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
GO AWAY SCAMMER BOY !!!!! TELL YOUR FRIEND THAT HIS NIB MOSIN WILL WORK FOR YOU AS A HOME DEFENSE GUN AND BUY IT FROM HIM !!!

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
get a handgun instead, CCW it everywhere and all of the time. You are far more likely to get caught with no longarm as you are to have the piston not be "enough gun". 3/4 of them run at just the sight of your gun pointed at them. Misses have change a lot of minds, even poor hits with .22's have changed a lot more minds. When they find out that the gun IS real, it IS loaded and you WILL try to kill them with it, they typically get a whole new outlook on life, You'll drop $1000 on that shotgun and another $1000 on slugs and buckshot and practice ammo, and you still wont have it when you're at work, shopping, etc, but you can have that $500 pistol that you put $500 worth of cast bullet reloades thru,

Last edited by billyd; 09/29/20.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Have a Beretta 1201 FP and a Win 1200 pump with short barrel. Both work fine, not the softest on the shoulder but okay as long as you do not shoot 50 rounds at a time. I have been starting to look into the FN SLP, would like to see one before purchase but hard to find one in stores now. It appears to me that it uses a Browning Gold type gas system and I have been using Browning Gold semi auto shotguns with good results the last 15 years. They liked to be cleaned every 750 rounds or so but it is not a hard job. They fit for me and the gas system cuts the perceived recoil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by billyd
get a handgun instead, CCW it everywhere and all of the time. You are far more likely to get caught with no longarm as you are to have the piston not be "enough gun". 3/4 of them run at just the sight of your gun pointed at them. Misses have change a lot of minds, even poor hits with .22's have changed a lot more minds. When they find out that the gun IS real, it IS loaded and you WILL try to kill them with it, they typically get a whole new outlook on life, You'll drop $1000 on that shotgun and another $1000 on slugs and buckshot and practice ammo, and you still wont have it when you're at work, shopping, etc, but you can have that $500 pistol that you put $500 worth of cast bullet reloades thru,

The OP said home defense....not defense when picking up booze at the store to get the wifey drunk.

I also don't think anyone here said a "piston" wasn't "enough gun". In fact it may be too much, depending on the particulars. Recent events involving police shooting through walls comes to minds. That's certainly possible with a shotgun too, but I do believe using a shotgun with the right ammo mitigates that risk pretty well, and easier than can be done with a pistol.

To the OP, I have a Rem 700 Marine that I keep by my bedside. I have not seen a reason yet to not recommend it.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by TWR
I’ve said this before but the worst handling shotgun I ever had was a Benelli M2 Tactical. Pistol grip stocks and ghost ring sights are not for me.
The standard stock with the Comfortech option is a much better choice. Buy the optional cheek piece for the slug gun and your ghost rings line up perfectly with a good cheek weld.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by billyd

The OP said home defense....not defense when picking up booze at the store to get the wifey drunk.

I also don't think anyone here said a "piston" wasn't "enough gun". In fact it may be too much, depending on the particulars. Recent events involving police shooting through walls comes to minds. That's certainly possible with a shotgun too, but I do believe using a shotgun with the right ammo mitigates that risk pretty well, and easier than can be done with a pistol.

To the OP, I have a Rem 700 Marine that I keep by my bedside. I have not seen a reason yet to not recommend it.

And who says the OP doesn't already have a pistol....or, two, or twenty....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Yep. That’s what mine is. Plus I have a Rem Tacc-14 with the brace for a truck gun.

I hear they are very hard to find these days.
Obvious reasons.

On the pistol grip side of things I once watched a couple guy walk onto a public range with one. Tried to shoot hand thrown birds. We all sat back by the cars and watched. It was one of those funny/scary times.

Mind you they stuck out in a big way...wearing ankle length leather trench coats.....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've been an Rem 870 or Benelli M2 fan for a LONG time but just saw this IWI TS12 and thought it looked like a nice option. Anyone have any experience with this? Running 15+1 in a sem-auto that's only 8lbs and ~28" long has to be good for something!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the iwi looks kinda 5th Element, futuristic cool, sure looks bulky though. Not sure about that thing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Benelli Nova would be a fine choice.

Second this, ghost ring sights are top notch out of the box

Home defense includes driveway and yard, and good sights become important with a bit of distance. Downside is it's tough to customize

Also an older 870 that you configure to your liking as an earlier post stated would be a fine choice. Can almost always find a good used one in hunting configuration at a gun show and customize from there.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Look at the Beretta 1301 Tac.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't think of any situation needing a 15 round shotgun that wouldn't have been better served with a 30 round 5.56 and multiple hits.

15 rounds suggests a crowd, and reloads are a real thing.

Originally Posted by Nebraska
I've been an Rem 870 or Benelli M2 fan for a LONG time but just saw this IWI TS12 and thought it looked like a nice option. Anyone have any experience with this? Running 15+1 in a sem-auto that's only 8lbs and ~28" long has to be good for something!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Benelli Nova 20" BBL Tactical with Ghost ring sights and a Mugpul extension to make it 8 rounds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
based on deer/pigs that I have killed a single hit with a 5.56 and hunting bullets under 100 yds is quickly lethal, shotguns are fine, but for general utility the 16 inch 5.56 loaded with even the poor 55 grain fmj would be my first choice over any shotgun, course popular opinion is that you can aim in the general direction with a shotgun close your eyes pull trigger etc etc......the 15 shot shotgun, not sure what its mission strength would be but it would be cool to show your friends....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (163bc, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,723
Posts18,457,285
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.