Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
lonee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
in N america. He bet his million $ farm that he could take any N American game animal with a Hornet, under conditions of fair chase and furthermore bet (in today's money) 100k that he could do so with no more than 2 shots. He didn't say so, but it had to mean brain hits on the big stuff, at 100m or less. That can be hard to arrange on montain goat, mountain sheep, etc.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anyone who would try that is a moron.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Expert" thread #2, eh? How old are you, lonee? 12? Still drawing airplane pictures with red dashes for tracers?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys ever read abot that guide in Alaska shot a grizzly with a .17?

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn’t make that bet. On the other hand, I wouldn’t bet against it either. Probably more deer have been killed with a .22 LR than anything else.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe the Hornet was deadly...in the hands of Jim Carmichael. From my experience in NRA Sporting Rifle High Power competition, 7 out of 10 'sportsmen' have no business shooting at anything other than paper from real life field positions like offhand and to a lesser degree, sitting. That's not my opinion...that's fact from scoring targets. Now on the other hand, the black powder muzzle loader shooters are offhand shooters...it's what they do. The old silhouette guys same. If the Hornet can consistently reach the central nervous system...it's just as good as anything else. As a signature line says, 'gunnery, gunnery, all else is twaddle'.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
lonee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Maybe the Hornet was deadly...in the hands of Jim Carmichael. From my experience in NRA Sporting Rifle High Power competition, 7 out of 10 'sportsmen' have no business shooting at anything other than paper from real life field positions like offhand and to a lesser degree, sitting. That's not my opinion...that's fact from scoring targets. Now on the other hand, the black powder muzzle loader shooters are offhand shooters...it's what they do. The old silhouette guys same. If the Hornet can consistently reach the central nervous system...it's just as good as anything else. As a signature line says, 'gunnery, gunnery, all else is twaddle'.

that's right. People who can't stalk that close and hit that well dont belong in the hunting fields. Bow hunters get inside 40m for shots on big game all the time. So why cant you do so with a rifle, hmm? Cause you're a lazy, incompetent twit, that's why. Ditto if you can't reliably hit the 6" circle of the brain, from offhand, at 100m,

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If Jim Carmichael said he could do that, I have no doubt he could.

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't see a problem. I've killed about everything there is around here with a .22 LR, including my first deer when I was 12.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It’s no hammer of Thor, more like the wooden spoon of Lena, but no doubt it’s a killer in the right hands. I like my Hornet but I wouldn’t want to try it. Eskimos seem to be experts at under gunned killing. My Eskimo friend told me about all kinds of game killed with 22 rim fire and 223, including polar bear and grizz. He had a big gun, a 243 that I did some reloading for.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well - - - maybe with a K Hornet.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Goats, sheep, and grizzlies can be killed with a bow, too, if you get close enough. If you're in bow range, you're in 22 Hornet range. You just need to wait for an ear hole shot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.22 Hornet? Some guy who posted as Hardin lauded that round all the time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
.22 Hornet? Some guy who posted as Hardin lauded that round all the time.

Gunkid a/k/a/ Hardin a/k/a Jamboree a/k/a Swetn a/k/a Lawrenceof Reason a/k/a Brule a/k/a ...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just for the record, Idaho's only caliber requirement for big game is that it has to be a centerfire. 22 Hornet is legal for moose and bear. That's not saying it's smart, just legal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You would have to wait for the right shot. If you saw a record buck walking slowly at 200 yards, you should hold your fire, waiting for a stationary and probably smaller one at 50 yards.

A guy in Africa killed a bull elephant with a .222. He used special FMJ round-nosed bullets he had machined on a lathe.

Nobody mentioned that Carmichael was a champion-class bench rest shooter and probaby pretty good from field positions.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I've had the same experience with NRA High Power. I don't think the average deer hunter can hit a standing deer at 75 yards. Instead of practicing from field positions, all they want to do is shoot little groups off the bench. Oh! It shot into 2 inches instead of 1 inch! The average 24HCF member probably is much better.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd put money on him.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh it can be done, bow hunters get close or eat tag soup. Google Chuck Adams, he took the first Super Slam with a bow.

The .22 hornet doesn't do anything real well though. I've shot a very few coyotes with mine and run offs were not uncommon.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My only rimmed cartridge is a 30-30. Not interested in any more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.