-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Sako AV that at one time was probably a real looker. However when I bought it the walnut stock had been replaced with a cheap Ramline stock. I was searching for a takeoff AV stock I could replace it with but after a few years gave up on that.

I ended up finding a like new McMillan in flat black I couldn't resist for the price. I don't have the immediate need to do so now but since this has now migrated more towards being a workhorse rifle with the McMillan I was wondering what my options are for metal refinishing. I know cerakote is currently the most popular but I seem to remember reading about some other chemical processes in this forum but I can't remember what it was. Shoulda hit that bookmark. I know parkerizing is an option but it wasn't that it was some sort of finish that like one guy was famous for. Sorry for the vagueness.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think maybe you’re thinking of Birdsong’s Black T?

Cerakote was big for a while but it’s popularity wore off as quickly as the illusion of its durability did which is to say not long. It scratches and chips.

I have just recently had a rifle finished in Black T and it looks great but hasn’t seen enough use to know whether it’s a big improvement over cerakote. I would like to try Nitride linked in the post above.

One other to keep in mind, particularly if you’d like to roughly imitate the look of brushed SS, is Mahovsky’s Metalife which is a plating rather than a coating so it molecularly bonds to the surface of the steel. I had one rifle so finished but sold it before durability came into play.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by efw

Cerakote was big for a while but it’s popularity wore off as quickly as the illusion of its durability did which is to say not long. It scratches and chips.

I have just recently had a rifle finished in Black T and it looks great but hasn’t seen enough use to know whether it’s a big improvement over cerakote. I would like to try Nitride linked in the post above.

One other to keep in mind, particularly if you’d like to roughly imitate the look of brushed SS, is Mahovsky’s Metalife which is a plating rather than a coating so it molecularly bonds to the surface of the steel. I had one rifle so finished but sold it before durability came into play.

I have a friend that has an old 700 AWR with teflon. Not sure if it was done by Birdsong but it looks a lot better then any Cerakote rifle I have seen in a while.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

H&M Metal Processing, of Akron Ohio, offers its Black Nitride treatment, discussed previously in:

Because Black Nitride is a surface treatment, rather than a coating, it does not change the dimensions of the steel parts. As I understand, it’s sort of like case hardening, producing a steel surface hardness similar to chrome, with rust resistance superior to chrome.

I’ve had a number of guns treated in Black Nitride by H&M, and have been most pleased. Examples:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve read where Black Nitride treated 5.56 barrels on ARs have shown great resistance to erosion, though I don’t shoot in sufficient volume to test that.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had another gun come back from H&M (a CZ-75) and I continue to be impressed with their work.

As Exchipy mentioned, one of the real tangible benefits of nitride is the fact that it does not add dimension-- this means that it does not affect how parts fit together.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I just had another gun come back from H&M (a CZ-75) and I continue to be impressed with their work.

As Exchipy mentioned, one of the real tangible benefits of nitride is the fact that it does not add dimension-- this means that it does not affect how parts fit together.

Does H&M disassemble and reassemble your firearm? Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by efw

I have a friend that has an old 700 AWR with teflon. Not sure if it was done by Birdsong but it looks a lot better then any Cerakote rifle I have seen in a while.

Before Ceracoat I had a few teflon jobs done. They sucked badly. One failed at the muzzle (flinging chips of finish) the first time it was fired.

Ceracoat is significantly better, but not worth the money, IMO&E.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw

Yes that's it it was the Birdsong's Black T thank you!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I like how it blended my SS tube w/ the CM action:

I like the look of it so far!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ejo
Originally Posted by Woodhits

Does H&M disassemble and reassemble your firearm? Thanks

I don’t believe that they do, I’ve always sent them parts.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The answer of course is it depends.

For hunting rifles I go with Stainless... no coatings required.
Beater rifles / work guns - Cerakote is just fine
Fancy rifles / Heirlooms - Blueing
Nitride and Anodized (AR stuff) coatings are new more hard use oriented in my book, I’m ok with nitride, but don’t like Anodized much at all.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you want black, go with nitriding.

If you want stainless looking, go with hard chrome by Mahovsky Metalife

I sent a rifle off for Black T. It's been decently durable over the years but does have scratches thanks to alpine hunting for deer and goats. I think of it as a tougher version of ceracoat since it's still a coating. The above two are the toughest things I know of.

I've bought some stuff which was already nitrided and am thinking about sending off a barreled action to be done. H&M says they prefer to have the barrel unscrewed from the receiver but will do it with them attached. Has anyone had them do a less than totally disassembled barreled action? Any issues?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had several hard chromed by Metaloy back when it was more cost effective.

Only ones with easy pics to find:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pabucktail
If you want black, go with nitriding.

If you want stainless looking, go with hard chrome by Mahovsky Metalife

I sent a rifle off for Black T. It's been decently durable over the years but does have scratches thanks to alpine hunting for deer and goats. I think of it as a tougher version of ceracoat since it's still a coating. The above two are the toughest things I know

What he said!

Buy once, cry once.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.