Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled a very nice custom Krag rifle today and I noticed that the cut off selector was missing from the left side of the action. Did some research and found out that this was a common practice when mounting a receiver sight on a Krag. Also read that the action isnt as smooth when the cutoff is removed. Any input? Regards, Jericho

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a Krag with a Redfield sight mounted as so. The action is still as slick as snot on a doorknob.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been down the Krag rabbit hole a few times regarding receiver sights.

Here are a couple observations. The rifles, for me anyway, didn't feed worth a darn without the cutoff spindle in place. That spindle is pretty necessary to act as a cartridge guide for the round as it loops its way up and around the side of the magazine. Some of the "no-drill" sights incorporate a dummy spindle that acts as both a locator/base for the sight and as a cartridge guide. The most common of those back in the day was the Pacific sight. (A very simple sight that worked/works very well, but has become kinda scarce and no longer very cheap. Mine served admirably for quite a bit of hunting and target shooting. I have one waiting its turn on a future project.)

The other most commonly found no-drill sight is the Redfield. I think all Redfield Krag sights were no-drill types but don't quote me. They, or at least the couple I messed with didn't incorporate a a fake cutoff spindle and had to have a separate fake spindle inserted to ensure reliable feeding. Minor PIA. I epoxied in a spindle I cut off of a spare cutoff (pun intended) and it held up well for as long as I had it- but no guarantees as to long term viability. I've heard of guys soldering instead. I've also heard of guys not having issues running the gun without the spindle too, so what can I say?

The Lyman 57 Krag sight is another beast entirely. It gets screwed to the RH side of the receiver conventionally. (Oh boy, we get to drill and tap another harder than woodpecker lips Krag receiver!)

The Cadillac of them all though is the Lyman 48 which goes on the LH side but requires d/t'ing. Worth the expense (when you can find one) and the hassle of installing, but boy it works the best and just simply looks the coolest! I'm installing one on my current Krag project (that's been hanging fire for waaaay too long now).

There is another Krag sight that pops up now and then called the Rice sight. It was/is a simple little stamped sheet metal affair that attaches to the top of the bolt tail block, and has no screw-in aperture just a peep hole. I had one once that actually worked quite well and didn't require the horizontal sight arm detachment for bolt removal like all the rest do. They sold originally for a buck or two, but one's I've seen recently carried collector's prices.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I'm half wired from a bout of insomnia.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Krag has a Redfield #102K no drill sight on it. It did not feed well without the magazine cutoff in place. Got a spare and cut the “handle” off, reinstalled the shaft and put the sight back on to hold it in. Took a little fitting to get it right. It feeds great now and the sight works very well for me.

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang, its also missing the side plate screw. Im sure these are hard to find?

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kind of hard to find. Be warned it's not a standard thread. I might have an extra. If I do it's yours.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here is a picture of the magazine cut off modification on mine. If it helps, kind of hard to explain.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys! Now Im looking at all of the Krags for sale on line, dang, they are addicting

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked one up this afternoon, from a buddy who had to take it in a package deal. "I don't want it, you interested?" Pics showed a pristine pre-war sporter, done up by a pro in the Griffin&Howe style. Crazy cheap. Pics when it gets here.

God help me. Every time I swear enough U.S. Krags and Springfields live here, up jumps the devil.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.