Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

No bulk .22 for sale around me unless you want to be sheared, but one store has started carrying small volumes of the good  stuff.  Just bought samples of:

Lapua Center-X (100 rounds)
Wolf Match Target (100 rounds)
SK Flat Nose Target (200 rounds)
Federal Gold Medal Match (600 rounds)
And a brick of SK Rifle Match

They had some Eley, etc that I either already had or didn't want as well.

It would have been nice if even one local store had kept a decent inventory like that over the last 30 years. But, better late than never I suppose...

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of our local shops dug deep and put out some RWS the other week, so I picked up 100 of each variety he had. I was wanting to try the stuff anyway. .I use quite a bit of Geco Semi-auto, and RWS is also made by the same outfit RUAG. It'll work in something or other I have.........................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
RWS is always quality stuff, but of course some guns will take to it and some won't.
My guns seem to have a love/hate thing with all brands of ammo.

I bought a case and a half of the RWS HV HP a couple years ago, because my Green Mountain barrelled 10-22 shoots the lot I've been using (almost gone) to 1/2 MOA at 100. My screaming hot new CZ 457 Varmint doesn't like it much, nor does the 455 fluted rifle that's another very accurate shooter.
That same 10-22 loves CCI and RWS subsonic. Neither of the CZs do. Go figure.

It IS odd that the 10-22 really likes both low and high velocity loads. I dont think that I've seen that before in any of my rifles...

The only exception to that has been CCI SV (the original stuff) and SK Standard +, that seem to shoot well in everything. Much more experience with the CCI stuff than the SK.

My only tip on the RWS is to run enough of it to season your bore with their lube. IME, it makes a difference.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My CZ 512 in .22LR dotes on the Geco stuff, and if RWS uses the same lube formula, I should be good to go. I've got a couple other rifles that might show interest. we'll see. I have a case of the Geco, as yet unbroken, just for that 512. It AVERAGES .368" at 50 yards, in a little stubby (16.25") barrel, and it's lightweight, too. Lots of fun little gun. If nothing else, I will have some fun with it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I wish more shops stocked the really good stuff so it would make testing/experimenting easier. But probably not enough demand to make it worthwhile. Luckily I'm well stocked with cheaper plinking ammo, I would hate to have to play catch-up at this point for ammo to feed my plinkers.

I shoot a lot of Tenex and found myself running low. An online search yesterday didn't turn up much with the usual suspects, but Killough's came through and I snagged a bunch. Should've tried there first- they always have a good selection of lot numbers and their prices are among the best.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I dont use Tenex but it was $22/50 where I was. Fair price?

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I dont use Tenex but it was $22/50 where I was. Fair price?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
High, but after factoring in shipping for online "deals" at $170-200/brick, I guess not terribly high.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The stuff I bought was fair, I thought.
The Lapua was 12, everything else 7.50

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kragman1
The stuff I bought was fair, I thought.
The Lapua was 12, everything else 7.50

CenterX is pretty darned good stuff, but so is Lapua Pistol King. I really can't tell much difference between them in my 452s. Price is the same locally, so there's no advantages going either way, but both are really good in my 452s. SK is rare around here, but since it's made by Lapua.....there's no reason it shouldn't be good. Eley has lost a lot of luster since Lapua and the better RWS loads became easier to find.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The only ammo in the assortment with any volume was the Center-X. They still had 4 or 5 bricks, although they said that its been selling well.

I may go buy another handful of boxes out of that lot, or maybe a brick. I have a number of good .22's to try it out in. Two boxes ain't a'gonna cut it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Center-X is very good stuff. Lapua has two rimfire performance centers, in Ohio and Arizona, that will test your barreled action for accuracy with your chosen lot numbers.

I use SK Standard Plus and Semi Auto (a little faster), both are pretty decent for casual shooting in our rifles and semi-auto handguns (even my G44 loves it).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
785 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.