Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redneck: I know at least 50 (fifty!) avid 17 HMR users and nary a one has abandoned ship (so to say!) due to "fail to fire" issues!
And that number does NOT include myself who was one of the very first 17 HMR buyers/users/advocates.
I eagerly and earnestly advocate the useage and purchase of 17 HMR Rifles/pistols!
Long live the 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well, good for them... I will say though, the most problems I ran into with customer's rifles were in the earlier years of the .17HMR ammo.. Two were from Savage rifles - and the FTF rounds they brought in with the rifles showed properly deep firing pin strikes. I know one of the guys sent his rifle back to Savage - and when he got it back he immediately traded it for something that was NOT in .17HMR.. Other customers had similar issues - but again that was relatively early in the history of that round..

Maybe now that's been mostly taken care of.. Which is a good thing, IMHO..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DUMBO,

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,while you "get' to read about it...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The Goat Fhuqked Dog Schit "platform" you proffer,is sooooooo fhuqking HILARIOUS,it's a shame that you cain't grasp the magnitude of the Stupidity. Hint. LAUGHING!

Ammo VERY much plays a role,not all rifles are equal,nor are mounting systems and optics,but I enjoy the fhuqking HILARITY of your "thinking" you've got a First Fhuqking Clue and have it "going on" with your Brokedick Dog Schit. Hint. Laughing!

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

'Sig,

I'm fairly certain there was a Franklin Krunchenticker poignantly illustrated in this Thread,along with a JARD(both of which are fhuqking HAMMERS). Straight blowback is purty Sporty,at said operating pressures and locking lugs are soothin',in conjunction with da' Gas System. HINT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hunnert yards with Franklin. Hint.

Hunnert yards with JARD. hint.

Ruger would kill it,if they went S/S RAR in Whizzum and Hornet both. Mags are there and PROVEN. Flipside bein',on the above Krunchentickers,mags are of course Proprietary(though exceedingly WELL made),but $100+ a pop. Midway just had "used" 10/22 mags in 22LR and Hummer for under $10 a pop and I did "OK" there,despite having 50+ of the fhuqking things prior to.(grin) Hint.

RimX mused doing a 17 WSM and if that transpires,I'm certainly in. Vudoo is doing a Hummer and dat is somewhat tempting,but with an Annie 54 1717D HB(chopped to 20") setting in the wings,along with the Garrow's,Custom 77/22's etc,that itch ain't as great for me. Hint.

The 77/22 Whizzums shoot like a bastard.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell yeah! Those suckers shoot buddy! I dig them.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting back to the op: Heck yeah, lots of 17 HMR and no 22 WMR. Just like last time the hoarders raided the ammo supplies.

My takeaway was to buy more 22 WMR and also get a 17 HMR as well as a 22 Hornet and 17 Hornet. Can't be too prepared.

God Bless America
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks Stick. Much appreciated.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
-Because they make so much of it
-Because you usually need one shot per pest
-Because usually there are no misfires

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wdvicker
If 17HMR is so great. Why is it that I can find it in stock everywhere. When it comes to all of the other Rimfire it is out of stock. I own one myself. Ninety percent of the time if I'm going to be taking hundred yard shots, I grab a 22WMR.

Probably less than 1% 17HMR demand as compared to 22LR to feed.

Supply and demand!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
If 17HMR is so great. Why is it that I can find it in stock everywhere. When it comes to all of the other Rimfire it is out of stock. I own one myself. Ninety percent of the time if I'm going to be taking hundred yard shots, I grab a 22WMR.

Probably less than 1% 17HMR demand as compared to 22LR to feed.

Supply and demand!

g

No doubt...But, if you want to turn a small creature into halves at 150 yards, a 17 HMR or 17 WSM will make it happen.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use mine as a garden varmint gun and a raccoon shooter off the dumpster, think I have said this before. Took it to Wyoming last year and found it a nice midrange gun but much past 150 yards the wind is really something to tackle. Seemed pretty deadly to me on Prairie dogs and plenty accurate enough for head shooting rabbits. I haven't "abandoned" it yet but for hunting the WMA's around my area where feral hogs are a target of opportunity I like the 22 mag better. I shot a big raccoon off the dumpster a week or so ago with the 17 HMR and he ran off a hundred yards or so in the dark. Next day I found him with a quartet of black headed buzzards waiting on him to tenderize a bit more. I like that there isn't much bullet left after it hits the ground or anything for that matter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve found the 17 hmr to be an accurate round that is more than capable for head shots with my cz452. I’ve shot coyotes and coons. It is a hammer on coons. Never had one go past 10 feet after being shot in the body. Coyotes maybe 25 yards with a rib shot. It has a an overlooked round in my opinion. I much appreciate it. Midway was selling Remington premier ammo for around $7 per 50 not that long ago. I have all I need for quite sometime.

CK
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Crappie Killer: I am in my 18th year with the 17 HMR and praise it every chance I get.
I also have killed Raccoon and Coyote (three yotes so far with the wonderful 17 HMR - all one shot kills and all at/around 100 yards distant!).
The 17 HMR is not my first choice for Coyoting but when they appear and that is all I have in hand that is what I use!
I have also kill't many Badgers, Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels, feral cats, Jack Rabbits, Fox and all manner of small game, Grouse and a couple of Wild Turkeys with my 17 HMR's.
Large badgers are especially tough creatures to render still with rimfires but the 17 HMR does an EXCELLENT job on these tough to kill critters. I can't explain why - I think it has something to do with high velocity and high bullet rotation?
Accuracy with my 17 HMR Rifles and one pistol (S&W Model 647) is VERY commendable.
Yeah... the 17 HMR is indisputably "GREAT"!
Long live the 17 HMR
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I agree with VG although I have not taken the species with mine he has with his.. I love it...

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

.22 LR is much cheaper of course.

I use 17HMR for all my varmint hunting since I bought my Anschutz 1717D back in the early 2000s. I could use shorter range guns, but why? I already lug enough stuff around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the FTF “issue” is 😄. What are you shooting, dangerous game! If you do ever get a FTF, cycle the bolt and TA-da!

This ain’t brain surgery....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just picked up my first 17HMR, a used, like new, Ruger American with the different comb inserts and a bunch of assorted ammo. Couple buddies have 17HMR's and really like them, I've never heard them say a bad thing about it. So when this became available I grabbed it up! It has a cheaper Bushnell scope on it that the previous owner mounted with the objective sitting on the rear site, no idea on its accuracy like that, but maybe that contributed to him selling it. I'll either drift the rear site out or get higher rings. Anyway, looking forward to sending some downrange.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I just picked up my first 17HMR, a used, like new, Ruger American with the different comb inserts and a bunch of assorted ammo. Couple buddies have 17HMR's and really like them, I've never heard them say a bad thing about it. So when this became available I grabbed it up! It has a cheaper Bushnell scope on it that the previous owner mounted with the objective sitting on the rear site, no idea on its accuracy like that, but maybe that contributed to him selling it. I'll either drift the rear site out or get higher rings. Anyway, looking forward to sending some downrange.

If you think it's fun NOW, try putting a Burris FFII with the Ballistic Plex reticle on it. As luck would have it, the hash marks on the reticle are within an inch or so of the bullet impact all the way to 250 yards, and within 2 inches at 300. Makes shooting at distance a breeze (if the breeze isn't too strong, anyway). I did that when I got my HMR when the ammo was still hard to find. It made prairie dog shooting awfully easy.................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'Sorry to hear about your FTF troubles, thankfully that is not a problem that I've had with any cartridge that I can recall.

I got my first 17 HMR in 2004 and was more than pleasantly surprised how easy it was to shoot MOA or better groups with it. Several people at the range used it to shoot their very first MOA or better groups and that led many of them to buy a rifle in 17 HMR for themselves. If I lived where there were more colony varmints I'm sure that I'd use the 17 HMR more and the 17HM2 less.

I shoot the .22 MAG quite a bit and think that it is a more useful cartridge than many give it credit for. In general, I have found the .22 MAG to be a better, more reliable, killer on animals over 5 lbs. than the 17 HMR. For example, I use a Remington 597 for calling predators, mostly 'cats, in heavy cover where ranges are short, something that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing with a rifle chambered in 17 HMR and its more fragile bullets.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I think the FTF “issue” is 😄. What are you shooting, dangerous game! If you do ever get a FTF, cycle the bolt and TA-da!

This ain’t brain surgery....
Probably not such a funny deal with a bullet stuck in the bore.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Am puzzled to read some of this. Have owned a .17 HMR since 2002, and never experienced FTF, while using a bunch of different ammo. My rifle's very first 3-shot group at 100 yards measured .24 inch, and just about any ammo will do .5 to 75 for 5-shot groups, Always stock up when I find a good deal, normally paying $10 or less per brick. Have a wide "variety," but most is made by CCI, no matter the brand name.

I do find the .17 HMR very useful on prairie dogs, especially for the initial shooting of a town, due to the low report compared to centerfires--which allows shooting for considerably longer before they get spooked. Usually shoot it until all the dogs within 150-200 yards (depending on the wind) have either been killed or spooked--mostly the former. Then switch to a centerfire. But very early on learned that plastic-tipped bullets are far more effective on small varmints than hollow-points. Have run into a number of people who think the .17 HMR isn't very effective--who turned out to be using hollow-points.

That was my exact experience, hollow points. I had an Anschutz 17 HMR, and shot lots of PDs that were hit solid, but got down their hole. I was using 20 gr HP.

NRA Patron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.