Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Have a chance to pick-up a real clean Smith 39-2, in the box. Never had one, always liked the look of them. Any pros-cons on these??

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The mags aren't growing on trees anymore, I'd want to get at least the original two with the gun. In the running for most beautiful semiauto pistol ever designed IMO.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Had a both a fixed sight and adjustable model for a long time , my long time carry guns .

Always loved them

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I owned a couple of 39's in the 70's. Don't know if they were dash-2's or not. One of their idiosyncrasies was that they were only totally reliable with ammo that resembled the ball bullet profile. The JHP's of the time were often shorter or blunter than the FMJ profile cartridges. My guns, if loaded fully with 8 + 1 JHP's, would fire the first shot, misfeed on the second, and work fine with the last 7 rounds. The only JHP at the time that would work in my guns was the Remington 115 gr., which unfortunately didn't expand well. Maybe I was just unlucky, but both of my 39's had the same issue. I imagine today's popular service loads would probably work fine, but it's something to be aware of.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/23/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I remember correctly their was a feeding problem with the original 39’s and HP’s.
The 39-2’s had an improved feed ramp.
I’ve never had any problems with mine. And yes original mags are expensive.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am a fine with mine. No issues. Here with its brothers from an estate sale.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The M39 9mm was my first police issue duty weapon. That was an oddity for a small town police department in the rural Missouri Ozarks. Cops in the early 80's carried revolvers for the most part. I had my M39 for two weeks when the Chief got into a scuffle with a couple bad guys. The Chief pulled his M39 and fired a warning shot and held the two aholes at gun point until the Sheriff's Department back up came on scene. When it was time to safety and holster the Chief realized his gun was jammed with a stove pipe. The next day he recalled the semi autos and reissued the S&W M13 .357's the department had prior to the M39 experience.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice!

The Colt on the left, isn't that the type of gun John Dillinger used.

Elmer Keith
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first 9mm was a 39-2, and it shot very well. It also taught me how to handload 9mms., too. I had to reload to afford to shoot it, and I did. I shot the heck outa that thing. It was a great little pistol. Should have kept it, but I heard the siren's song of the BHP.................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice!

The Colt on the left, isn't that the type of gun John Dillinger used.

Dillinger and lots of other people (good and bad) used a Pocket Hammerless back in the day.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Well, I got it. Will try it out tomorrow. Extra mag also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, something positive. Although the finish is prone to scratching nickel is more resistant to rust then stainless steel. Nickel looks fabulous with nicely checkered grip panels. Considering spare parts issues and expensive magazines I would only go for nickel finish on this one. Gigolo/"Old Don", baby!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RufusG
The mags aren't growing on trees anymore, I'd want to get at least the original two with the gun. In the running for most beautiful semiauto pistol ever designed IMO.

Agreed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carried a S&W 39 as an unauthorized privately owned weapon when I was in the Middle East in 1983-84. Never fired in anger, but it always fired when the trigger was squeezed. In the early 1990's I shot a deer with it when Black Talons first came out and I wanted to try them. Mine resides in the bedside drawer along with 2 magazines loaded with 124 grain Speer Gold Dot, but has been replaced by a S&W 4006 as my first tier defensive handgun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one back in the early 70's and never had any feeding problems with it. To me it has one of the best grips and grip angles of any auto pistol. I didn't care about the limited capacity magazine, but took a little ribbing from my Browning High Power buddies. It was a great back pocket pistol and I carried it many miles hunting and fishing.

It did have a few design issues of the day that probably explains why it ended up getting sold. The sights aren't adjustable for elevation and there weren't any aftermarket sights that would cure that issue that I knew of. I didn't use the double action feature much at all. It wasn't like the double action semi autos of today since it was only double action for the first shot. Mine was long and hard to pull and I never cared for it. The single action pull wasn't terrible. The Star BM 9mm I bought to replace the S&W 39 didn't have adjustable sights either but it did have a much better trigger pull and it is a little smaller.

I still have the Star BM and it is still a good 9mm, but if I saw a S&W 39 for sale today I'd likely get it.

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenster99
Well, I got it. Will try it out tomorrow. Extra mag also.

Very nice!

Congrats.

Jealous here. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 39-2 is damn near as accurate as my 52-2 and I’ve never had feeding problems

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I had one back in the early 70's and never had any feeding problems with it. To me it has one of the best grips and grip angles of any auto pistol. I didn't care about the limited capacity magazine, but took a little ribbing from my Browning High Power buddies. It was a great back pocket pistol and I carried it many miles hunting and fishing.

It did have a few design issues of the day that probably explains why it ended up getting sold. The sights aren't adjustable for elevation and there weren't any aftermarket sights that would cure that issue that I knew of. I didn't use the double action feature much at all. It wasn't like the double action semi autos of today since it was only double action for the first shot. Mine was long and hard to pull and I never cared for it. The single action pull wasn't terrible. The Star BM 9mm I bought to replace the S&W 39 didn't have adjustable sights either but it did have a much better trigger pull and it is a little smaller.

I still have the Star BM and it is still a good 9mm, but if I saw a S&W 39 for sale today I'd likely get it.

S&W had a drop-in elevation-adjustable sight for the 39/59s, There is a long tab on the front of the rear sight, and you just lift that up and rotate the sight 90 degrees, being careful not to lose the spring and detent for the magazine safety (or not, I removed mine), and drop in the replacement, fully-adjustable sight, It wasn't really robust, but I never broke it, either. It was a nice little sight, and only took about five seconds to replace. The DA/SA transition wasn't especially smooth, but got better when you removed the magazine safety.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/01/20.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

S&W had a drop-in elevation-adjustable sight for the 39/59s, There is a long tab on the front of the rear sight, and you just lift that up and rotate the sight 90 degrees, being careful not to lose the spring and detent for the magazine safety (or not, I removed mine), and drop in the replacement, fully-adjustable sight, It wasn't really robust, but I never broke it, either. It was a nice little sight, and only took about five seconds to replace. The DA/SA transition wasn't especially smooth, but got better when you removed the magazine safety.

I swapped out the rear sight on my S&W 39 for the elevation adjustable style years ago. I bought the sight from either GPC or Jack First for around $20 back then.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jmd025

Had a both a fixed sight and adjustable model for a long time , my long time carry guns .

Always loved them

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I swapped out the rear sight on my S&W 39 for the elevation adjustable style years ago. I bought the sight from either GPC or Jack First for around $20 back then.

If you look closely at the nickeled 39 in the picture, I think he's got one on it already. It's kinda hard to see, but I think it's the fully adjustable one like I had (and you have).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.