24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Was leaving a ranch to take a tractor back home today and opened the gate...

Don't know why, but I thought I'd better check the lug nut and bolts.

Glad I did! smile

Left rear was missing one nut and bolt completely.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another one on the same wheel was real loose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Drove tractor back to my pickup, got my impact wrench, (The new Dewalt, thanks Ironbender).. and made short work of tightening all the lugs. I'll have to replace the missing one, but it's no biggie.

Much better than having a wheel wobble off doing over 20mph when roading the tractor! grin

Just a reminder, guys.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You’re welcome Barry. I don’t trust the impact to torque. Always, always, hand finish.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is there a “rule of thumb” for tractors to check lugs? So many hours?

Like recheck vehicle after 500 miles?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Man, I dunno, IB.

I think it depends on the conditions.

Usually, before I take a tractor out on the road, I will give it a serious walk around. I don't actually tighten the lug nuts, but I do inspect each one and look at the threads to see any anomalies. (that's what I did in this case)

I do get the torque wrench after them when I bring them in for their complete physical and detailing though. Once or twice a year.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loaned out a tractor to a friend of mine so he could plow some soybeans with. He put a boy that worked for him on it, and the dummy drove it half a day with the stops out of the easy spread wheels. It ate the blocks up that held the rim in place, and why that tire and wheel didn't fall off was a miracle. The bad thing was that they acted like it was no big deal. It was to me, because I had to replace the blocks, which were very pricey, even at 1980ish prices.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I loaned out a tractor to a friend of mine so he could plow some soybeans with. He put a boy that worked for him on it, and the dummy drove it half a day with the stops out of the easy spread wheels. It ate the blocks up that held the rim in place, and why that tire and wheel didn't fall off was a miracle. The bad thing was that they acted like it was no big deal. It was to me, because I had to replace the blocks, which were very pricey, even at 1980ish prices.

Ah!

I found the problem! wink

So far, only myself and one other guy have driven my tractors. And he would be the only one I'd trust to do so again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jake had a wheel crack on him this spring, not a cheap repair.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’ve put the star wrench on mine 2X in the last 4 years. Could not budge them. Must be tight enough.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the spring, we had an emergency call where the back left wheel came off a tractor, that was pulling a trailer loaded with round bales, while driving down the highway. Luckily no one was hurt and the only damage was the fender on the tractor. Oh, they had to buy a tap and new bolts.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Back in the spring, we had an emergency call where the back left wheel came off a tractor, that was pulling a trailer loaded with round bales, while driving down the highway. Luckily no one was hurt and the only damage was the fender on the tractor. Oh, they had to buy a tap and new bolts.

It still wasn't dry enough to shred that ranch when I was there.

Even up on the high ground, it was soft.

Maybe with this cool front blowing through today, being dry, it may firm stuff up some.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

We run 5 John Deere tractors, mowing, filling feeders, and putting up hay, the tractor drivers are responsible for cleaning air filters, fluid levels, check nuts and bolts, greasing tractor and mowers an disks, and hay equitment cleaning cabs and washing tractor, everyday, they come in 30 min. early in the evening, just to blow out filters.

We keep a log book on every tractor, up dated every day or hours of use, we have a history on every tractor, and all repairs, we have a Iron clad rule, If your tractor breaks and it's clean and well cares for, no problem. If it breaks and it's dirty and neglected you are gone! Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7

We run 5 John Deere tractors, mowing, filling feeders, and putting up hay, the tractor drivers are responsible for cleaning air filters, fluid levels, check nuts and bolts, greasing tractor and mowers an disks, and hay equitment cleaning cabs and washing tractor, everyday, they come in 30 min. early in the evening, just to blow out filters.

We keep a log book on every tractor, up dated every day or hours of use, we have a history on every tractor, and all repairs, we have a Iron clad rule, If your tractor breaks and it's clean and well cares for, no problem. If it breaks and it's dirty and neglected you are gone! Rio7

That's an excellent policy, Blue.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve put the star wrench on mine 2X in the last 4 years. Could not budge them. Must be tight enough.

"Farmer Tight"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A mark across the end of the bolt and nut with a paint pen will let you know at a glance if any of them have loosened up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lost a wheel center that exact way earlier this year out in the prunes on the Kubota. Wasn’t cheap.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.