Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm bettin it's the same one he kiiled his bull with last year!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
BP-B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I killed my first deer and elk with a 1966 Remington M-700 ADL with a Redfield 4x. I still have it but moved up to a .35 Whelen when I started hunting places with big bears and have killed more deer and elk with that one that anything else. I contracted magnumitis several years ago and haven’t used either of those rifles in a while, but I should....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son and myself have both shot some nice bulls with a bow and arrow so i see no reason a 30-30 won`t kill elk too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .30-30 is still a virgin in my hands. Bought it used and have no idea what its history is.

Moved to Colorado in late 1980 expressly to make it easier to hunt elk. Went on my first elk hunt in '82 with a long-time elk hunter and his group. No one in that group was a very good hunter, but it was a start. Most in the group used and recommended a 7mm RM so that is what I purchased for my first center-fire rifle. That 7mm RM was my only big game rifle for over 20 years and has killed more elk than all my other rifles put together, No complaint, but using others is fun. So I do.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's a repost of a 2009 jewel from an old-timer, Ray Atkinson:

I feel a kinship to the 250-3000..I began life with a 25-35 shooting deer and elk, My dad used the 25-35 and later the 250 savage and he killed probably 40 or more elk with it..None of us ever lost one btw..

How dad came about the 250 Savage is a funny story...We hauled about 30 or so mules to Colorado every year from our Texas ranch and hunted elk then sold the mules at Chimney Rock when we came out. The Colorado packers would be waiting for us..One year the Game Warden was waiting for us and he took dad to the judge for using a 25-35, dad was mortified because he believed in obeying the law...He told the judge he had been hunting with that gun for many years and never gave it any thought..The judge dismissed the case and warned him to get a bigger gun..As soon as we pulled into our hometown he went into the Hardward store and bought the Savage 99EG in 250-3000 Sav. I said, "Dad, that gun ain't very big and not much bigger than the 25-35..Dad looked at me like I was nuts and told me I didn't know what I was talking about, so I shut up pronto..On the way to the ranch he also told me that he had checked every caliber in the store and most had 4 numbers but the Savage had 7 numbers, therefore anyone with any since at all would know it automatically was the most powerful rifle in the store! I kept real quite, I knew then that I had been outmatched! smile smile To top it off that little Savage killed elk like the hammer of Thor...all you had to do was stick one of those factory rounds in the heart lung area and they died..I shot a number of elk with that rifle, but elk hunting was different back then, the elk came out on side hills in the sagebrush. We shot at under 200 yards, got in close, only took broadside shots, so it worked..

As for deer, both whitetail and Muledeer, the 250-3000 is a match made in heaven.

Today I use a .338 Win with 300 gr. Woodleighs in the timber and the 210 noslers on the more open areas. todays elk are more skittish and head for the dark timber at the first shot of the season. Most of the elk I have shot in the last 30 years have been going away from me at a fast pace on a dark timber sidehill.

I had better edit this post to say that I still have that 99EG 250-3000 in fact I have two of them and I still use them from time to time..A great saddle gun and yes I would feel Ok hunting elk with it today but its not my pick..For deer I still use it and the 25-35

Last edited by czech1022; 08/08/20.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I also like to occasionally pull out the book "Elk Tactics" by Don Laubach, who probably qualifies as an old-timer himself. As I recall, he starts it off with a description of how, when he was a kid, his dad shot a big elk with an 87 grain bullet from a 250-3000 Savage 99 at around 200 yards and dropped him with one shot - and it wasn't a singular experience, it was typical of his dad's hunting at the time.

Last edited by czech1022; 08/08/20.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
So Alamosa you gonna owe up to what you use? Don't sound like your ashamed of it, not quite the same as being true to your wife. MB

Maybe a little ashamed. Maybe some wonder why I carry that POS with the choices I have available. Browning lever 7 mag. Worn bluing, gouged stock, hazy glass, rust, way too many rounds down the tube. I went so far as to buy that same rifle brand new and added much better glass. [bleep] old BLR shot better groups than the new one. I would not share a photo but that rifle tends to find a way to photobomb pictures of dead animals.

Last edited by Alamosa; 08/10/20.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
As an Old Timer with lots of years and game under my belt, I love these conversations. I particularly love those regarding "head shots", which I commonly refer to as "chump" shots. My long dead uncle used a 250-3000 to take a fair number of elk. In fact under the right conditions most any centerfire will kill an elk. However killing one and taking them cleanly are not always the same thing. I have know several elk lost to 6mm caliber rifles shot under 100 yards, as well as a couple shot farther with 300 mags. If you are able to limit your shot distance, and presentation (which most hunters cannot) just about any cartridge will work. However out past a couple of football fields, with the animal quartering away from you, many of those cartridges listed here will not get the job done, time after time. My first elk was in a clearcut on the Coast Range of Oregon not in the deep dark and not at close range. My longest was a measured 540 yards across a canyon in NE, Oregon, where close shots are the exception. I started with an 06 as did my dad, he moved up to a .300 mag as did I, after crippling a a cow by breaking her knee joints, while shooting across another canyon in NE, Oregon. My average shot is close to 300 yards, and taken while I am laying down, with the rifle resting on a bipod, or pack. I believe in the 2,000 ft lbs of energy requirement, if the shot can be well placed. Any less and the odds of a disaster go up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
About as classic an elk rifle as there is - Pre64 Model 70 30Gov't06 shooting 180gr Hornady Interlocks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by elkmen1
As an Old Timer with lots of years and game under my belt, I love these conversations. I particularly love those regarding "head shots", which I commonly refer to as "chump" shots. My long dead uncle used a 250-3000 to take a fair number of elk. In fact under the right conditions most any centerfire will kill an elk. However killing one and taking them cleanly are not always the same thing. I have know several elk lost to 6mm caliber rifles shot under 100 yards, as well as a couple shot farther with 300 mags. If you are able to limit your shot distance, and presentation (which most hunters cannot) just about any cartridge will work. However out past a couple of football fields, with the animal quartering away from you, many of those cartridges listed here will not get the job done, time after time. My first elk was in a clearcut on the Coast Range of Oregon not in the deep dark and not at close range. My longest was a measured 540 yards across a canyon in NE, Oregon, where close shots are the exception. I started with an 06 as did my dad, he moved up to a .300 mag as did I, after crippling a a cow by breaking her knee joints, while shooting across another canyon in NE, Oregon. My average shot is close to 300 yards, and taken while I am laying down, with the rifle resting on a bipod, or pack. I believe in the 2,000 ft lbs of energy requirement, if the shot can be well placed. Any less and the odds of a disaster go up.

Well said, thank you. As Bob Hagel said, "You don't want a rifle that works when everything goes right, you want a rifle that works when everything goes wrong."

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by centershot
About as classic an elk rifle as there is - Pre64 Model 70 30Gov't06 shooting 180gr Hornady Interlocks.

What a great pic

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
great picture centershot, beautiful bull

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
great picture centershot, beautiful bull

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by centershot

Thanks for this pic, it was worth the stoppin' by.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
🎶🎶...I got evuhthang I need to kill an Elk, I got evuhthang I need to kill an Elk. But, I don’t got Elk & that’s the thang I need the most.🎶🎶

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got my last elk in '18 (weather didn't cooperate last year) with my dad's old Rem 721 30-06 with a 4x scope. It was only a 75 yd shot and open sights would have worked just fine even with my tired eyes. I don't hunt with that one much because it's so darn heavy. I have a RAR 30-06 that's at least a pound lighter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I also got my last elk in 18 which ran away after a 175 yard chest shot with a 7mm Mashburn Mag. While exiting the area he was accompanied by a large number of elk, who completely ruined any opportunity to trail the bull... I looked for three hours, to no avail. Two of us looked again, last fall and found no sign, hopefully he made it OK. However I did punch my tag and ended my season... This season I am using a Kimber lightweight, in 7mm AI, and will once again take a look at that same area. Hopefully I will get another opportunity.. Lots of lots of years have gone by since I moved from the 06, and I have not regretted my choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a Savage M99R 250-3000 that came from my Sister in Law's Dad. He used it on about everything in Wyoming while feeding his family. When I got it he gave me a partial box of 117 Sierra Pro Hunters, said they were his elk bullet. He used 87s for deer and antelope but liked to get up close and shoot elk in the neck with those 117s. Once I got dies and started working up loads I found out why he liked to get close, at 100 yards the 117s were hitting the target sideways.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This is my favorite elk rifle. My .35 WCF. I was lucky enough to score ample brass for the old beast back when Jameson’s was still making it. I should have enough to last me for a while.

200 grn. .358 Hornady RN
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Old 250 grn. .358 Hornady RN
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Old son and I headed out for Colo 2nd rifle in a few weeks. I’m not hunting this year due to conditions here at the house have put a damper on wild game. Long story and I will not get into it now. But I intend to do some fishing and enjoy my time in the mountains with the son and another buddy.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice pics kaywoodie and have a great time in the mountains! Last time I got to hunt up there was 2013 and I sure miss it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.