Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have a complete CZ (Zastava) commercial, intermediate-length action. I know (at least I think I know) that the CZ Model 70 is the full-length, LR 98 action, but what is the CZ model number that is associated with this intermediate-length action?

Thanks.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There isn't really one that I'm aware of. Most I have seen were sold as actions then built into rifles by folks like Heym and Wards Westernfield, etc.. If looking for parts, the footprint is the same as any other intermediate 98.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
CZ and Zastava are 2 completely different companies, as in Ford and Chevy.
Is your action a CZ 550 or is it a Zastava M70 ?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It pretty much has to be a Zastava or he would not use that word. The Zastava 308 on the Mauser action is the same length as the Zastava in 30-06. Those are both Model 70.

I did see Zastava introduced a new cheeped out modern box magazine bolt rifle. It might be called 85, might not. I do not know if they retain the one size fits all at the receiver. It is to bad, the M70 is a heck of a lot of gun for the money. Then, I am pretty sure the M70 will be around for a while.

Like WTF said: Different companies, even different countries.

BTW, CZ dropped the 550 and replaced it with a 557 push feed in all but the big magnum action such as the 458 Lott, etc. IIFC the 557 is $600 to $700 now. The Zastava M70 with real Mauser action can be found for 1/2 that price. I would take either one over Ruger, Remington or Savage.

Last edited by fourbore; 09/27/20.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WTF
CZ and Zastava are 2 completely different companies, as in Ford and Chevy.
Is your action a CZ 550 or is it a Zastava M70 ?

Ah, now I’m learning something....maybe. I thought CZ and Zastava were the same outfit. No?
On the action, it says “Made in Yugoslavia” with a CZ emblem. Length between action screws is 7 5/8 inches.
I really am trying to learn what manufacturers' model numbers might correspond with it. What models are derived from this action? I believe it's fundamentally the same as an M48 and M48A, an M24 and M24/47. As efw wrote below, the M70 corresponds with the Charles Daly and Mark X. Are there any commercial models that correspond with this action? The purpose being that I want to buy a stock for my build; so I need to know if, for instance, a Remington 798 or 799 stock (or others) will fit this actions. Intermediate length actions are tough to find stocks for!

Pictures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Zastava model 70 is a standard (not intermediate) length large ring 98 action. It’s been imported as Interarms Mark X and Charles Daly Mauser.

There are tons of parts and accessories available.

CZs are adaptations of Mauser actions and completely different.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zastava intermediate length Commercial Actions as used by makers such as Heym:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As I said before, no model number that I've ever seen Zastava use to identify them. Not even sure if Zastava made factory rifles out of them but they surely supplied the actions to the trade.

Their LK M70 (Bolt rifle) is indeed a standard length 98 action and was sold by Interarms as the Mk X, also marketed as the Rem 798, Charles Daly, and Zastava Z09, among others. Zastava's M85 is what Interarms sold as their "Mini Mauser".

Zastava's logo "ZCZ" is often confused with CZ's logo

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org] [Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

vs the older CZ logo:

[Linked Image from logolynx.com]

Last edited by z1r; 09/28/20.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Ah! So my basic level of confusion was that this is a Zastava action, not a CZ. OK, then; today’s lesson learned. Thank you.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Ah! So my basic level of confusion was that this is a Zastava action, not a CZ. OK, then; today’s lesson learned. Thank you.

I think you were confused on intermediate vs standard too. A model 70 is not the same length as a 24/47.

Sorry I re-read and see you have been clear in this from the start.

Last edited by efw; 09/29/20. Reason: Sorry
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said before, there are no model numbers that go with the Commercial intermediate Zastava 98's. Montgomery Ward assigned various model numbers to their "Heym" Mausers.

[img]https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/dsc00401-jpg.54560/[/img]

[img]https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/dsc00392-jpg.54562/[/img]

So, again, as I said before, if your action screw spacing is 7 5/8's, then stocks and parts for Intermediate 98's will work.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
z1r:

Thanks for the very illuminating pics.

I wonder if Zastava intentionally imitated the old CZ logo. (Ala Krolex watches.)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I just want to say thanks for the education. I appreciate you all for taking the time to get me up to speed.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I entered this conversation feeling "confidently comfortable". Now not! smile To my knowledge the Zastava (Serbia mfg) acton marketed within the last few decades, strictly a single, "standard length" action itself. Standard length mauser actions, of course having also been "opened up" internally to accommodate the long mag cartridges. Also 'capable' of working with shortened magazines and comparably altered "bolt throw". Such alterations as manufactured or aftermarket.

The Yugo miltary actions from Model 24 forward, an intermediate acton based on an original Belgian FN military product. FN making such military actions for small variety of nations. The Oberndorf intermediate actions from military application origins, to include commercial sporters. The 'commercials' only available in singular 7x57 chambering. Of course Oberndorf with its short commercial only "K" action as well. I have otherwise only "viewed in advertising" a Herter's imported mauser type actions in shorter lengths and have 'believed' those to be Santa Barbara (Spanish) actons. Personally least familiar with these actions other that hearing of controversial 'rep' for questionable "soft action" mettalurgy.

Zastava a yet quite active factory has, as noted, marketed actions as well as complete rifles. Firearms International did import the Mark X (Roman Numeralized Mark 10). That following post WWII years of importing & marketing the FN mauser action/rifles, in both 300 & 400 - "Deluxe" Series; latter with the streamlined bolt shroud and sliding trigger activated safety. Also excepting some mag rifles or special orders, generally moving from steel to alloy bottom metal! Zastava mauser actions, over years a small plethora of rifle manuracturers adopting. Such including Remington in their Model 798... Oh my! smile

Cezch "Brno" rifles, "originally post WWII", marketed from about '46 to '51 in high quality, evolved-somewhat unique standard length actions. Also a special short action in .22 Hornet. Uniquely high quality and un-uniquely expensive. Their own design bolt shrouds & safety inclusive. Otherwise traditional mauser edition actions with clip guides and flat "spoon" bolt handle. Later editions in same range, dispensing with the clip guide recess and - little known - dispensing with bolt guide & corresponding bridge-underside accommodating slot. Last few years of that period redesigned entirely; svelte rifle commonly described as "dual square bridge" model dovetailed for scope. (Presently forgetting the Model number!)

Fifties era forward, small side mention and kudos to Sako for great long, medium & short actions/rifles of quality!

I have representative models of 'about all' above referenced rifles 'except' as above noted plus any Remington & Santa Barbara editions.

Whew! smile
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.