#15262352 09/27/20
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy at the range.
Talking to his bud about match ammo, bullet weight and velocity diffs.

Shooting steel at 50 yards.

No chit, benched w irons his group is in feet, not inches.

Really dont think the ammo diff " dialed in " is making for that spray.

Dont care either

But all the technical talk theyre doing.......i dont see how those effects can be noticed when the shooting is so horrible.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/28/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought of myself as an average, to mediocre shot, at best. That is 'til I go to the range and see how bad everybody else is. laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve known lots of guys who stress over the minutiae when they aren’t close to capable of taking advantage of any small amount of precision to be gained by weighing charges or uniforming primer pockets.

I prefer to cast a ton of bullets, find a good load that flows through the powder measure and then concentrate on being able to take full advantage of whatever that load is capable of.

I’m no glockdoofus but I’m getting there. This was ten rounds of 429421 over 10gr of Unique yesterday. 50 yards offhand with a two hand hold. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I think some guy around here always talks about popped primers being the supreme tutorial. He may be onto something.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great shooting.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is good shooting. Most of the guys I see at the range shoot larger groups at 10 yards.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people I see are walking forward of the benches to shoot handguns.
25 yard range, they walk halfway up. Find the brass in the grass too.

They had a pistol range to the left of the 100 yard range, an approximate 16" gong
up on the hill. Was about 130 from the far rifle bench.
One day a daughter and I were shooting 22's and she was about ready to leave, I mentioned
I wanted to shoot my Superblackhawk at the gong.

At the same time, a couple had finished and the wife was gathering an armload.
The husband had heard me, and he bumped her and nodded our way to
indicate he wanted to see what would happen.

I was burning up some old 180's, the gun is zeroed for 240's, I missed low 2 or 3.
He was grinning at her.
Elevation figured, it started ringing.
I missed every once in awhile, but not many.
He walked to the car talking to her and shaking his head.

Like Skeen said, that's not a big deal, but many don't think it's possible
and never even try.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H

Originally Posted by skeen
I've always thought of myself as an average, to mediocre shot, at best. That is 'til I go to the range and see how bad everybody else is. laugh

Same here

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
But have to admit.....the bad shooters might be having more fun.

Shooting is pretty boring for me anymore. Its just test/ zero and id rather go hunting

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that's why I never buy those single action guns, someone might see me at the range and say "that gun should shoot a lot better than that", OTOH with a glock "most folks" expect it to shoot poorly so stick with the glocks and anything you do"might" be considered good. Its funny but I can outshoot myself with a P365 and cheap range ammo, over a G20 with careful handloads...but I am not glockduffus either.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's been my observation that there are more gun nuts than shooters, at least on our range. They "test", but mostly their shooting technique sucks so they really can't determine the true accuracy of their rigs.

Like hookeye said, so long as they're having fun and doing it safely, I'm good with it, but I just shake my head when I listen to some of their "deep" technical discussions.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All you have to do is do like i do and get a Ransom Rest or sand bags and shoot the target at 2 yards then say it was shot at 50 yards and you can do it.
Don't be proud. Pride and $2.28 will get you a large cup of black coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
All you have to do is do like i do and get a Ransom Rest or sand bags and shoot the target at 2 yards then say it was shot at 50 yards and you can do it.
Don't be proud. Pride and $2.28 will get you a large cup of black coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

2 yards? You're an over-achiever. I do it from 1 yard, that way I have some chance of having 3 shots touching. Remember though, you need to stack 2 targets that are identical and shoot through them. Then take the top target (the one with the powder burns and specks of debris) and throw it away. The bottom target is clean as a whistle and ready to back up whatever lies you want to tell about it.

Good luck to us all!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
“Say man, that is a great grouping you have there but why are there powder burns around every hole?”

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last time I went to a range, some years ago, I was sniping half-liter water bottles on the 50 yard line with an M92 and some hot cast bullet loads that shot VERY well. People were ooohing and aaahing when I went 5 for 5. Then they turned around and shot at the same huge paper at 7 yards, slow fire, like they had been for a couple hundred shots. I didn't get to where to where I could do that by shooting at 7 yards. Missing a lot at 100, but watching your misses for form breakdown makes hitting at 50 a breeze, and at 25-30, I can do it rapid-fire. With witnesses. But not every day.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lots of folks just plain can't judge distance. I've lost track of the times that guys have pointed to the 10-yard line at my club and told their buddies that it was 25.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve known lots of guys who stress over the minutiae when they aren’t close to capable of taking advantage of any small amount of precision to be gained by weighing charges or uniforming primer pockets.

I prefer to cast a ton of bullets, find a good load that flows through the powder measure and then concentrate on being able to take full advantage of whatever that load is capable of.

I’m no glockdoofus but I’m getting there. This was ten rounds of 429421 over 10gr of Unique yesterday. 50 yards offhand with a two hand hold. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I think some guy around here always talks about popped primers being the supreme tutorial. He may be onto something.

Nice shooting, KId. Always liked that gun, too.

Don't have one. frown

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.